Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:57 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjay View Post
I thought this article from the WW "40 Years in 40 Days" series was interesting and it reminded me of some discussion we've had in this thread:

Dec. 13, 2008: The fanciest restaurant in Portland?s history crashes in only seven months?
When I first ran across that article I was sure it was going to be about Ten 01, the place in the Pearl that cost a zillion to open and lasted all of six weeks and one devastating Karen Brooks review. The record shows she called it "the Ishtar of local restaurants".
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
I don't know if it's intelligence or just lack of resources, but the fact that this market seems smart enough to realize that "opulence" and "elegance" are not required to create a delicious, satisfying restaurant is yet another reason why I love this city so much.
I totally agree, I would rather get an amazing meal that didn't cost much than I would pay a fortune for a meal I might not like.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,847 times
Food in PDX is *awesome* for a city it's size. Don't compare it to NY, Houston, LA or San Fran because that's just not a fair comparison.

What's nice about PDX food is that there are a lot of unique, kind of quirky eateries from the doughnut shops, to ice cream, to hybrid Mexican restaurants, to Pizza.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 PM

206 posts, read 260,148 times
Portland's food scene is for people who prefer exclusivity to quality, and "quirkiness" to value and good service.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:55 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Maybe I just don't have a refined palate.
Same here. That and it's definitely subjective. I think the food here is fine. I was glad when we moved back from Phoenix because the food there was so bland; my late husband thought so too. I have a friend from Minnesota, however, who hates the food in Portland.

Quote:
Then there's the food that every bar/brewery serves that consistently makes my wife and I exclaim "how is this so good?". The farro burger at Ecliptic, the happy hour steak skewers at Breakside, the brisket plate at Hair of the Dog.
I love the nachos at Breakside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
This parody of those types of those types of restrauants is spot on:

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/...urant_menu.jpg
"Token vegetarian dish..." cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have heard great things about Country Cat for brunch but still haven't braved the wait. Maybe I will go when the kiddos are at school. I DO like Slappy Cakes which is trendy as hell but they do everything on their menu well including their Bloody Marys.
I've been to Country Cat for brunch but it wasn't that memorable in terms of being a mind-blowing "OMG, I must come back" meal. Slappy Cakes is great though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I like Pho Van and the Pearl location, Silk, so I try to get out to the 82nd location when I can at lunch time. The family that owns it is local and live in the NE from what I hear.
Pho Van 82nd is one of my standbys when I need to plan a group dinner and don't feel like or don't have time to research where to go. I also really enjoyed Bambuza down on the waterfront for Vietnamese.

Having grown up in a small town, I guess you could say I was sheltered in the food arena and have simple tastes as a result.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:49 AM

111 posts, read 171,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
Portland's food scene is for people who prefer exclusivity to quality, and "quirkiness" to value and good service.
I don't understand your first point at all. How are food carts and brewpubs exclusive in any way? The only things that Portland restaurants seem to exclude, in my opinion, are people who are unwilling to wait for extended periods and people that are so insecure with themselves that they think the "hipsters" don't like them.

I'd argue with you about "quirkiness" as well, but that's entirely subjective and not worth the time. I find that most of the restaurants I've been to represent excellent value, but I will agree that good service can be hit or miss.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM

I live in the capitol of the world for food of "value" and I'd still say that PDX is great in this regard. Food trucks have been very cheap, with high quantity & quality of food in my experience. Sure you may find some high priced establishments, but overall PDX has a great food scene for a city it's size.

Note however I'm stating PDX and not the suburbs.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Food in PDX is *awesome* for a city it's size. Don't compare it to NY, Houston, LA or San Fran because that's just not a fair comparison.

What's nice about PDX food is that there are a lot of unique, kind of quirky eateries from the doughnut shops, to ice cream, to hybrid Mexican restaurants, to Pizza.
I don't even think Voodoo Donut is that good. I mean, they're definitely creative and interesting but their donuts don't taste vastly better than Krispy Kreme or hell even what you can get at Safeway.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't even think Voodoo Donut is that good. I mean, they're definitely creative and interesting but their donuts don't taste vastly better than Krispy Kreme or hell even what you can get at Safeway.
Taste is everything...I don't share the same opinion...I think they're a lot different.

But in a sense it is essentially still fat and sugar

Old 11-11-2014, 12:28 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I live in the capitol of the world for food of "value" and I'd still say that PDX is great in this regard. Food trucks have been very cheap, with high quantity & quality of food in my experience. Sure you may find some high priced establishments, but overall PDX has a great food scene for a city it's size.
Where is the capital of the world for food of "value"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland