Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 AM

255 posts, read 757,349 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting the boards in search of a good possible area for RAK'S (Random Acts of Kindness). I love the unique, somewhat ecclectic nature of the Portland and surround areas. I am curious how well RAK'S would be received and if there would be an interest in participating. I began doing them here and would like to expand to other areas that would welcome the chance to make a small difference in this life.
Our RAK'S help all kinds of people and recognize humanity in others all in an effott to give good back. If anyone could comment if they believe this would be welcome in the area, we would appreciate the feedback.
Many thanks for the responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
are there areas where people DON'T like random acts of kindness?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 AM

I was just curious how well accepting and participating people in that area were. I have not found people in general against them...just not every area is eager to participate.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Aren't random acts supposed to be random and not organized?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
A lot of people all over the world already do this without making an announcement about it.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM

I started something with my daughter to promote RAK and we are trying to make it easier to contribute. We are checking to see if we could grow our initiative. Many people we find would like to participate but don 't know what they can do to help. Our goal is to help bridge that gap.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Seems more like a thing they would do down south, I doubt it would take off here. Here.... if some one is going to help they are going to do something meaningful and probably not talk much about it. If they are interested in RAK they probably already do these things daily, it's called being a nice person. And the other people are guarded and untrusting and who can blame them especially when you live in the socipathic vagrant/unemployed meth head capital of the west coast.

Until this country changes at a fundmental level regarding honesty, intergrity, and responsibility, random acts of kindness are meaningless self congraulatory scams for the people who organize them.

Look at how good I look on Facebook. I mean.. look at the good I'm doing... errr I mean look at my... errrr... I'm helping the homeless. Just so you don't think I know nothing about it, my wife and her friends do this silliness and its all about making yourself feel good, half of it is just things you do on a daily basis and the others would make people wonder if you have an ulterior motive.

Welcome | Random Acts of Kindness "Share Your stories" Kindness Ideas | Random Acts of Kindness a lot of the ideas are chintzy. Lend someone a pencil? Wash someones car? Clean up after ourselves? give me a break. These are just normal things, not random acts of kindness. My favorite is "Help a stranded motorist.

Yeah right... Death of good Samaritan breeds 'disbelief, sadness, anger' in tiny town of Helix | OregonLive.com

I say if people want to make a difference in others lives beyond what they do normally, find an agency or orginization and do long term volunteer work for them. Oregon Food Bank, Operation Night Watch, Bridgetown, UGM, HVA, Tutoring, ESL teaching.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Add donate to the Oregon Humane Society to the list of kind things you can do. I delivered supplies personally (when I lived in Portland) from office needs to dog food. Always accepted with a smile and a thank you.

Help the truly helpless.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Pickles Comic Strip, November 18, 2014 on GoComics.com

Pickles Comic Strip, November 19, 2014 on GoComics.com

Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Seems more like a thing they would do down south, I doubt it would take off here. Here.... if some one is going to help they are going to do something meaningful and probably not talk much about it. If they are interested in RAK they probably already do these things daily, it's called being a nice person. And the other people are guarded and untrusting and who can blame them especially when you live in the socipathic vagrant/unemployed meth head capital of the west coast.

Until this country changes at a fundmental level regarding honesty, intergrity, and responsibility, random acts of kindness are meaningless self congraulatory scams for the people who organize them.

Look at how good I look on Facebook. I mean.. look at the good I'm doing... errr I mean look at my... errrr... I'm helping the homeless. Just so you don't think I know nothing about it, my wife and her friends do this silliness and its all about making yourself feel good, half of it is just things you do on a daily basis and the others would make people wonder if you have an ulterior motive.

Welcome | Random Acts of Kindness "Share Your stories" Kindness Ideas | Random Acts of Kindness a lot of the ideas are chintzy. Lend someone a pencil? Wash someones car? Clean up after ourselves? give me a break. These are just normal things, not random acts of kindness. My favorite is "Help a stranded motorist.

Yeah right... Death of good Samaritan breeds 'disbelief, sadness, anger' in tiny town of Helix | OregonLive.com

I say if people want to make a difference in others lives beyond what they do normally, find an agency or orginization and do long term volunteer work for them. Oregon Food Bank, Operation Night Watch, Bridgetown, UGM, HVA, Tutoring, ESL teaching.

Wow -I am laughing out loud at this - Thanks for making my day.

Holy crap man - If this is not your thing, so be it. I really am not sure why there is a need to berate others who find some joy in trying to make the world a better place, even if the gestures are small.

And yes, most things we do in life are to make ourselves feel good but if that also helps others, even a little - why is that bad?

Anyway - the craziness of the post gave me a good laugh so I thank you for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland