Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times

Advertisements

Yes, I really enjoy the weather here, and no I'm not "fibbing" when I say it.

I encourage anyone who's unhappy with it to leave, though. I do not enjoy listening to you tilt at windmills.

Lots of people want to come here, feel free to leave jobs and homes and make room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 AM

89 posts, read 169,813 times
There is always one on every forum who takes things personal. Just because not everyone worships Portland, Oregon doesnt mean it's a bad place to live for anyone else.

Call me crazy but I am going to enjoy another day of sunshine, even if we have those NEastern Winds. I'll take that over 45 and wet which feels freezing anyway

Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 AM

479 posts, read 802,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2004 View Post
We are leaning towards the Appalacian MT area. Probable the northern part of NC or possible Charlotte but also enjoy Southern Va. SC and below is too hot and muggy. We really enjoy the weather in the Northern NC area. The 4 seasons are nice with fall and winter being very mild. The COL there is about 20% cheaper overall with housing being sgnificantly cheaper.

I do have a great job here though and can afford to live very well and also keep my wife at home to raise the kiddos. That is the largest factor that is keeping us here at this point. It is rare to have a boss that you truely enjoy and a company that is cutting edge. The million dollar questions is " would we be happier if we gave up the high 6 figure income to move to an area we desire to live but without the same career circumstances?"
I learned my lesson back in 1995 when I left employer #1 for a 20% raise and better benefits. I lasted about (2) months at the new job before I realized that the money wasn't as important enjoying myself at work. I went back to employer #1 and will retire next month with almost 29 years of service.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
I would agreed with taking this over say Minnesota or Chicago weather and Places that are sunny but full of freezing weather and snow. Being cold in general stinks but atleast they only have it for one season. Here in Oregon we get half of June- Sept to really enjoy the sun(August is brutally hot) and then it is grey, wet, and cloudy.
Edit that to "here in the Willamette Valley we get half of June-Sept" - the weather in the rest of Oregon is different.

The reason I live in Southern Oregon is that, while we do get the Portland-style winter (with added fog), it's generally November-February and by March there are as many sun/part sun days as cloudy and the average high temp is in the 60s. The weather down side is that it is also MUCH hotter here in the summer, with an average of 10 days above 100° per summer and an average July high temp of 90°. I'll take the heat for the shorter winter.

When we lived on the east side of the Cascades, down by Crater Lake, we got a lot more sun (that area is the sunniest part of Oregon), but the cold temps and snow potential last until late May and I got tired of the long, long winter and very sporadic, short spring.

Unfortunately the best job potential in Oregon is also in the Portland area. I get that the large population base makes people think Oregon = Portland, but it really doesn't.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I learned my lesson back in 1995 when I left employer #1 for a 20% raise and better benefits. I lasted about (2) months at the new job before I realized that the money wasn't as important enjoying myself at work. I went back to employer #1 and will retire next month with almost 29 years of service.
Good insight. Thank you because as I stated earlier, this is my dilemma. I love my job and make a great income ($150k+ for last 3 years; in sales). I know we would thrive in a better climate but the risk of starting over in a new territory with a different company scares the poo out of me.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Wouldn't high six figures be something above $500K??? If your talking about $150K+, I would think you would be able to find that in NC with some effort . Though I could be wrong . Have you researched pay there yet (NC)?

Good thread! Finding work where you can also enjoy the weather and afford housing etc. is definitely NOT an easy feat .

Quote:
We are leaning towards the Appalacian MT area. Probable the northern part of NC or possible Charlotte but also enjoy Southern Va. SC and below is too hot and muggy. We really enjoy the weather in the Northern NC area. The 4 seasons are nice with fall and winter being very mild. The COL there is about 20% cheaper overall with housing being sgnificantly cheaper.

I do have a great job here though and can afford to live very well and also keep my wife at home to raise the kiddos. That is the largest factor that is keeping us here at this point. It is rare to have a boss that you truely enjoy and a company that is cutting edge. The million dollar questions is " would we be happier if we gave up the high 6 figure income to move to an area we desire to live but without the same career circumstances?"
Quote:
Good insight. Thank you because as I stated earlier, this is my dilemma. I love my job and make a great income ($150k+ for last 3 years; in sales). I know we would thrive in a better climate but the risk of starting over in a new territory with a different company scares the poo out of me.
Asheville is in Western NC, not Northern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
If you speaking of northern NC, I am going to assume Ashville. Raleigh area would interesting idea. Employment is jumping and plenty of small nearby towns/ neighborhoods like Wake Forest, Durham, or Cary. Summers are brutal, though.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Wouldn't high six figures be something above $500K??? If your talking about $150K+, I would think you would be able to find that in NC with some effort . Though I could be wrong . Have you researched pay there yet (NC)?

Good thread! Finding work where you can also enjoy the weather and afford housing etc. is definitely NOT an easy feat .

I guess you are right. lol.... I was thinking high 100-200's although this year I will clear over $250k but I dont feel that is realistic every year. It is sales and sales is a rollercoaster. Sales also pays the same regardless of geographic area BUT finding the job you love, boss you enjoy, and an income that exceeds your needs is very rare. I can live with making less, the money really isnt that important but just kind of nervous about the unknown now that we have been accustomed to living pretty stress free.

Given those circumstances, would it be crazy to just sell the house and go?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post

HDL: I love your location.... Literally!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Truthfully, I don't think that you've posted enough information here for anyone to give you the right advice for you and your family. I have lived on both the east and west coasts, as well as Boise ID. What little I've learned so far is that for a season, you can adjust to almost anything, but that having a good support system in place is crucial.

You make great money ! Congrats to you on that ! Start by making a life plan. Then read these forums on the places you wish to move to and begin applying for jobs when you find a place you think is a good fit for you and your family. You can definitely find another place to live and a job that you will like and that will pay well (maybe not the same though), but it normally takes some time and research !

Do you have any friends or family in NC? Have you ever considered parts of CA? One of my friends left the Sacramento area 9 yrs ago moving to Portland OR and came back almost a year ago. She tells me that she is so much happier due to the weather and the COL in this area is comparative. I too left as well for Boise ID and now am back. The weather here is tough to beat and it is much cheaper than the Bay Area to live. I have family in north NC and they like it there. For me though, the humidity is tough to handle .
YMMV !

Quote:
I guess you are right. lol.... I was thinking high 100-200's although this year I will clear over $250k but I dont feel that is realistic every year. It is sales and sales is a rollercoaster. Sales also pays the same regardless of geographic area BUT finding the job you love, boss you enjoy, and an income that exceeds your needs is very rare. I can live with making less, the money really isnt that important but just kind of nervous about the unknown now that we have been accustomed to living pretty stress free.

Given those circumstances, would it be crazy to just sell the house and go?
Thank you very much !!!

Quote:
HDL: I love your location.... Literally!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM

[quote=HDL;37247397]Truthfully, I don't think that you've posted enough information here for anyone to give you the right advice for you and your family. I have lived on both the east and west coasts, as well as Boise ID. What little I've learned so far is that for a season, you can adjust to almost anything, but that having a good support system in place is crucial.

**I apologize for the skinny details but the internet can be a dangerous place.

You make great money ! Congrats to you on that ! Start by making a life plan. Then read these forums on the places you wish to move to and begin applying for jobs when you find a place you think is a good fit for you and your family. You can definitely find another place to live and a job that you will like and that will pay well (maybe not the same though), but it normally takes some time and research !
** It really isnt the money although we really like making this type of income. It is the products I sell and compnay I work for.

Do you have any friends or family in NC?

** Yes, my wife has family in NC and my entire family lives in MD so being close to "home" will be great. Other than that, we will enjoy the weather a lot more, enjoy the close beaches that are actually enjoyable to be on. LOL and I will not have to pay for private education($20k/year) because the school systems in the 2 areas we are considering the most have excellent rankings where Oregon schools are among the worst in the Country.

Have you ever considered parts of CA?
**No, Cali is not in the discussion.

One of my friends left the Sacramento area 9 yrs ago moving to Portland OR and came back almost a year ago. She tells me that she is so much happier due to the weather and the COL in this area is comparative. I too left as well for Boise ID and now am back. The weather here is tough to beat and it is much cheaper than the Bay Area to live. I have family in north NC and they like it there. For me though, the humidity is tough to handle .
YMMV !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland