Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Yes, Urban, Lloyd Center is in a great location in the city. The area gets a bad wrap but most of the inner NE moms I know shop there in the daytime and The Nordstrom will be missed.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
I was just at the new New Seasons on Broadway at 33rd, and I came home and looked up the cost of the apartments there. Really expensive, $2500 for a 3 BR, $2200 for a 2BR. You could rent a pretty big house for that, even in the nice neighborhoods nearby. I know the amenities are quite different, but sheesh. I can only assume the new Lloyd apartments will be similar. Who are all the people who can afford that kind of rent?

I'm paying $850 for a 2BR in Milwaukie. I'm fully aware that people choosing to live in Milwaukie are going to be different from those who want to live in a shiny urban high rise. But I'm still amazed that Portland has enough people to fill these expensive new places.

That neighborhood is in a surprisingly high income zip code (97232), and that part probably higher than the zip as a whole.

About 20 percent of Portland households have $100K+ income and another 20 percent are under $20K. As far as I can tell the city has no plan for keeping them housed while tens of thousands of newcomers arrive.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Just moved to Lloyd District Saturday before last. So far so good. Some people have a very low tolerance for urban centers. They move out to "nicer" areas and quickly decline from the stress of keeping up with things that need to be done in the city. There is no substantive difference in safety between living in Forest Grove and living in Lloyd Center. A decent, upstanding, law abiding resident of either community can enjoy a life that will not be cut short by a gangbangers bullet. I'd wager that the victim of the last shooting in Lloyd Center was NOT one of the many young urban professionals or even young indie artists that call the area home. I felt much less safe waiting for an 'A' train at 6:00am on Sunday morning at the Utica Ave. stop in Bedford-Stuyvesant, NYC than I did waiting for a MAX train at 6:00am last Sunday morning at the Lloyd Center stop.

H

Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just moved to Lloyd District Saturday before last. So far so good. Some people have a very low tolerance for urban centers. They move out to "nicer" areas and quickly decline from the stress of keeping up with things that need to be done in the city. There is no substantive difference in safety between living in Forest Grove and living in Lloyd Center. A decent, upstanding, law abiding resident of either community can enjoy a life that will not be cut short by a gangbangers bullet. I'd wager that the victim of the last shooting in Lloyd Center was NOT one of the many young urban professionals or even young indie artists that call the area home. I felt much less safe waiting for an 'A' train at 6:00am on Sunday morning at the Utica Ave. stop in Bedford-Stuyvesant, NYC than I did waiting for a MAX train at 6:00am last Sunday morning at the Lloyd Center stop.

H
Some here seem to think it will only be a matter of time before you will be gunned down in the Lloyd District, but I agree with you, it is actually a decent area that is prime for a massive growth in population and destination things to do.

I love you A train comment because I know exactly what you mean. I have gotten off at Utica in the middle of the day before and had to second guess my safety. Though I do have a pretty high tolerance with my surroundings, but I still know when I need to be more alert to what is going on around me.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Tomorrow will be two weeks bullet free. Yay. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back every two weeks or so until I am prevented from doing so by impact from small lead projectiles and/or knife blade intrusion into a vital organ. Maybe if I inform a potential attacker that technically the assault is taking place in Sullivan's Gulch I will be in the clear? That won't do any good near the mall, but I'm not proud. My cavalier attitude towards personal safety is nothing more than a cheeky facade meant to lighten an otherwise dark and depressing thread. I really do want to see my 90th birthday and the potential is there, as both my parents have reached that milestone. See you in two weeks.

H

Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Tomorrow will be two weeks bullet free. Yay. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back every two weeks or so until I am prevented from doing so by impact from small lead projectiles and/or knife blade intrusion into a vital organ. Maybe if I inform a potential attacker that technically the assault is taking place in Sullivan's Gulch I will be in the clear? That won't do any good near the mall, but I'm not proud. My cavalier attitude towards personal safety is nothing more than a cheeky facade meant to lighten an otherwise dark and depressing thread. I really do want to see my 90th birthday and the potential is there, as both my parents have reached that milestone. See you in two weeks.

H
Stay safe there, I am taking my mom to the Convention Center this weekend and hoping we don't get mugged and shot because we all know how dangerous the Lloyd District is.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM

210 posts, read 251,846 times
I work in the Lloyd District and have never felt unsafe, even after working late and the area being pretty empty. The problem with all the new development in the area is the undoubtedly high rent. It really makes me angry the city core neighborhoods (not just in Portland) are becoming more and more places for the "haves" and very low income people living in subsidized housing. What about middle and lower-middle income people? Many of them work in the central city as well, and would appreciate the convenience. It's not about living some fashionable urban lifestyle, it's about the increased quality of life of having a shorter commute and walkable shopping, etc. This trend is really beginning to sour my views on large cities.

And anyone who thinks of the Lloyd District as some sort of urban war zone needs to take a walk through some neighborhoods in Chicago or a similar city.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
These are the sites where we tell people to go to find out about crime levels in neighborhoods they are interested in:

Lloyd District, Portland crimes - Trulia.com

CrimeMapper Detail Report

Do you mean to tell me these statistics are all made up, and totally incorrect?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:51 PM

210 posts, read 251,846 times
Also, according the this website, rents in Portland (when averaged) have gone up 25% in the last 5 years, with a 15% increase in the last year alone! Ouch! Is this mainly due to all of the high-priced new construction?

http://www.rentjungle.com/average-re...r-rent-trends/

Just looking at those rapidly rising lines makes me queasy.

Last edited by pdwpdx; 12-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 12-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
Also, according the this website, rents in Portland (when averaged) have gone up 25% in the last 5 years, with a 15% increase in the last year alone! Ouch! Is this mainly due to all of the high-priced new construction?

Average Rent In Portland, Portland Rent Trends and Rental Comps

Just looking at those rapidly rising lines makes me queasy.
Yeah it is, the newer housing is all asking a much higher rent price than Portland's older housing stock. But Portland is definitely seeing a higher growth in population than it is seeing a equal growth in housing which also lead to rent increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland