Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM

17 posts, read 46,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminirn27 View Post
Good to know! Thanks! I'll be sure to check into the scene in Hillsboro.

Anyone else know of any good "hole-in-the-wall" places?

g
My favorite "hole in the wall" Mexican Restaurant is La Bonita in E/NE Portland. It is a cute neighborhood and the drive there is so pretty right now with all of the flowering plants in bloom. ( I live in SW Portland where I have yet to find good Mexican food).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
Acupulco Gold's is the place for margaritas!
Also, may get shunned here, but the chain restaurant Mazatlan has good mole. Not the Mazatlan at PGE park, they're privately owned.
Don't confuse Acupulco Gold with the Acupulco restaurant at Mall 205.
Acupulco at Mall 205 is horrible.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadsoul View Post
My favorite "hole in the wall" Mexican Restaurant is La Bonita in E/NE Portland. It is a cute neighborhood and the drive there is so pretty right now with all of the flowering plants in bloom. ( I live in SW Portland where I have yet to find good Mexican food).
There's seems to be an ongoing debate between whether La Bonita or La Sirenita next door or better for Mexican food. Personally I've always gone for La Sirenita, but some swear by La Bonita.

Honestly, I think the best Mexican food in downtown Portland and the inner SE neighborhoods is at the taco trucks and food carts. Tito's Burritos and La Jarochita for food carts--which is probaly the best tacos downtown. For good regional Mexican food, albeit a bit more expensive and formal, La Autentica on NE Killingsworth is a good choice and has really good molés and ceviche.

There's also probably a whole bunch of good Mexican restaurants in places like Hillsboro or Woodburn, although I've never tried many of them except for the stands set up at the Cinco De Mayo festival on the waterfront.

The thing about Portland Mexican food is that it's possibly to get good tasting classic Mexican dishes that you'd expect from a good tacqueria or blue-collar Mexican restaurant like carne asada, pastor, tortas, milanesa, coctel de ceviche, or some seafood dishes--or occasionally pozole or menudo. However, compared to place like Los Angeles or parts of Texas, you don't have the huge varieties of regional Mexican cuisine that you'd have where you can find Oaxacan or Yucatecan food---unless it's a more upscale attempt at regional Mexican fare in gentrified areas. But it's possible to get Mexican food in Oregon these days is much better than the crappy Americanized Tex-Mex varities that get 's passed off at chain restaurants as Mexican.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Try Super Torte on Woodstock for good "blue collar" mexican fare.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't know how I could have missed that. That poor family. It is very sad.
Yeah, and it was at Thanksgiving.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Autentica seems to be well thought of.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
According to the votes on Portland Food and Drink blog: Survey 2011: Best Mexican Restaurant | An Exploration of Portland Oregon Food and Drink *

#1 - Autentica
#2 - ¿Por Que No?
#3 - Nuestra Cocina

I've been to ¿Por Que No? on Mississippi a couple of times and enjoyed it, but it's more of a Taco Place then a full sit down and get a large meal place.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,424 times
I was not at all impressed by Por Que No. I will have to try Autentica and Nuestra Cocina, but I've really given up on finding good Mexican food in Portland. I'm spoiled by Southern Oregon Mexican food and my tias' cooking.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,530 times
I've tried several hole-in-the-wall Mexican places in Hillsboro, and they've all been above average. There's La Guanaquita, which is El Salvadoran/Mexican on Cornell & 25th. On TV Hwy, across from Royal Moore Auto is a little place with a sign that simply says "Tacos." They grill whole/half/quartered chicken outside in front of the building. It's really good. There's also a taco truck on 10th and Baseline, in front across from Moto-Pizza, also very good. On that same block, between Oak and Baseline is a supermercado with a deli. I haven't had their tacos, but they've always been very friendly and helpful to me (gringo) when I've gone in looking for spices, meats, etc. Even Juan Colorado is a better alternative to Chevy's or other chain fare.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,424 times
El Indio bar and restaurant on Halsey and 111th. Also there is one is Gresham which I haven't been to. Awesooome food.

Yuuum. The Chile Colorado? So good. And the beans and rice actually aren't half bad--best I've had in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland