Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

I grew up and raised my family in the Chapman enrollment area. Friendly House basically operates their after school care. Get on their list ASAP. Between their gym, the pre-school playroom and Wallace Park they can get a kid's wiggles out.

If you end up at Ainsworth (Chapman may now be in 'overload' condition) there is an after school program there as well - I don't know who operates it but let me assure you those parents don't settle for 2nd rate and are willing to pay for good supervision. What you will soon learn is that a lot of the families are members of the Multnomah Athletic Club. Their membership lottery closed a few months ago so unless you are a legacy it will be years before you can join.

MLC is a District open enrollment school Metropolitan Learning Center - Portland Public Schools with the reputation of being on the non-traditional side. That said, their test scores are very good. The lottery for that school may have passed but no harm in inquiring. GOSSIP in the area is that the District is considering making that school an extension of Chapman to sop up the increase in school enrollment. If the district goes that route it won't happen for a couple years. I have no idea who operates their after school program.

I have no suggestions about summer supervision. Class Academy CLASS Academy is an excellent private school that caters to working professionals, likewise Childpeace Montessori School of Portland Oregon . Again see if Friendly House has a summer program that works for you.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 04-08-2015 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Boundaries are not changing for next Fall. If you start at Chapman you can stay there even if boundaries change. I would not want my child going to Ainsworth if you want to use public transportation because there really isn't any except during specific commute times and even then it's not very good. They also don't have before school care and I think their after school care ends earlier.

KCLC is housed at MLC.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 PM

As I haven't had to deal with Ainsworth after school care I don't have anything to contribute.

That said, an Ainsworth school bus stops at SW Vista and Green. I have no recent experience with the Chapman school busses.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 PM

It doesn't do any good if the bus stops at Vista and Green if your child is in after school care or if you have to pick your child up at school during the day because he/she is ill as the school bus won't be operating. And during the day there is no public transportation to Ainsworth except for a few limited times during rush hour. Otherwise the closest public transport option is Goose Hollow Max and walking all the way up Vista (over a mile up hill). I know this because I looked into it when considering sending my child to Spanish immersion. That and the lack of before school care made it impossible for us, or any other family who might have one car (or none) and works normal hours (8-5) as school starts at 8 with no before care. It's basically set up with the assumption that you'll have a nanny or a stay at home parent, a car and time to drive up the hill every day. It's not a very accessible school for most people.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:06 PM

The bus also stops at Green & Vista in the morning. Ainsworth does have after school care: Ainsworth Aftercare | Ainsworth Elementary School Bus 51, the Vista Bus, is essentially a commuter bus: TriMet: 51-Vista Weekday To Council Crest or Hamilton & Dosch Ride it up and catch it on its return run.

I agree that bus service to Ainsworth is a PITA, particularly when compared to Chapman or MLC.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Yes, it has after school care but it does not have BEFORE school care which for anyone who needs to be somewhere before 8:45 will be an issue.

The 51 has only commuter hours so if you're picking up your child after school (as in 2:15PM when they get out) or during school (sick child/early release) you can't use it. You CAN use it for early morning or after 5PM but it's really a pain. I know someone who works downtown and ends up using a zip car to get her kid on time or has to pay to park downtown everyday because it's impossible to work 8-5 or 9-5 and get up there in time to get your child. It's just not accessible to everyone unless they live close or have a stay at home parent (or work part time and have a car). That's why it sucks that the only westside Spanish immersion is there--it really prevents a lot of families from taking advantage of it. Our family included.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:32 AM

School starts at 8 (at least for the early grades), the school bus picks up students at 7:38 am at Vista and Green. Parents congregate there about 10 minutes early. Once you get to know them often they will make sure your child boards the bus if you need to leave a little earlier.

It is after school care that would be the major barrier IMHO. It is about a mile walk down the hill from Ainsworth to Goose Hollow.

I recommend you contact Chapman to ask how early you can enroll your child. If subsequently you are zoned into Ainsworth then appeal the change based on your circumstances.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 PM

Still doesn't help if you work downtown--you can't get downtown to a work place or someplace like OHSU in 20 min. I get that there are some potential options but most schools, Chapman included, have before school care that starts at 7AM so that working families have a chance to get to work.

You can enroll your child in Chapman now. The boundaries are not changing this year. They won't change until 2016 and when they do kids at Chapman can stay. New arrivals will go to the school in the new boundary.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 AM

That should be great news for the OP. Not knowing the parent's schedule.. but a Chapman school bus stops at Park Place and King at 7:26 am. There are MAX, Vista and Arlington Heights bus stops nearby. If you drop your child off at Chapman at 7 am you won't be able to get downtown by bus sooner than 7:30. http://www.pps.k12.or.us/depts-c/bus/index.php

I notice that a Chapman school bus stops at Wee Village Daycare http://www.wevillage.com/

It may be possible to find a school bus stop near the OP's work or the OHSU bus stop for the morning. Just a thought.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 04-16-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 AM

11 posts, read 14,740 times
Default Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful comments. We'll be at Chapman and KCLC for after school.

I heard that if zones change next year, there's a chance we might not be grandfathered in and allowed to stay at Chapman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland