Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Has anyone ridden the Empire Builder or the Coast Starlight into Portland? I am curious of anyone's impressions of the trip on either.
I took the Coast Starlight south to central CA and it took the better part of a full day, with seats I couldn't sleep in (sleeping car was skipped for frugality). The train moves on the order of 50 MPH through many stretches. The ride quality was good and the interior was quiet, though. If riding alone you might want to try to get a non-shared section to relax more. I was next to some hipster who kept taking smoke breaks outside and smelled of it the whole way. I also recommend trying to get a daylight trip, since at least you have scenery when the train staggers along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I also recommend trying to get a daylight trip, since at least you have scenery when the train staggers along.
There is only 1 train per day, so your time choices are limited to a single schedule on the Coast Starlight (the Amtrak Cascades, which goes from Eugene to Seattle, has multiple trains per day).

Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
I have taken the Empire Builder a few times from the west coast to chicago- it was an interesting ride with some nice scenery (and the food was decent)-I had a sleeper car which makes it a better experience- If you are in a hurry then it is not a great idea (there have delays of 2 to 3 hours in arrival each time) but if you have not taken it before and can afford it I would give it a try (bring a couple of good books-no wi-fi- I used it as a reason to disconnect from the internet for a couple of days)-I met some interesting people- If you have AAA you get a 10% discount
VIDEO: Meet Real Amtrak Travelers | Amtrak Blog

Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
I have taken the Empire Builder a few times from the west coast to chicago- it was an interesting ride with some nice scenery (and the food was decent)-I had a sleeper car which makes it a better experience- If you are in a hurry then it is not a great idea (there have delays of 2 to 3 hours in arrival each time) but if you have not taken it before and can afford it I would give it a try (bring a couple of good books-no wi-fi- I used it as a reason to disconnect from the internet for a couple of days)-I met some interesting people- If you have AAA you get a 10% discount
VIDEO: Meet Real Amtrak Travelers | Amtrak Blog
You mention the cost factor. I understood that it cost less to fly. Flying is like greyhound anymore. I would rather take it slow and unwind on vacation. The video was interesting. I like the idea of the premium with a sleeper room. The dome car will get a chunk of my time in day light. The lounge will probably know me by name in the evening.

Thanks for the tips

Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM

159 posts, read 409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Has anyone ridden the Empire Builder or the Coast Starlight into Portland? I am curious of anyone's impressions of the trip on either.

Yep, I've rode it 5 times from Portland to Chicago and back. You will enjoy it the first time but after that you will need to be put on suicide watch because you will feel like jumping off the train once you reach Glacier Park. Three days of torture, no shower, pricey food and claustrophobia and an irrational feeling that the train will never reach its destination is what you can expect.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
If you are getting a sleeper car I would say it is worth a try-

6 Reasons Why Long Distance Train Travel Is Worth It

Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM

Yes, on the sleeper car. I think we decided to fly into Portland and take the train back to Houston. Probably in late March. I don't mind spending the time or money. It's a great way to unwind and see the scenery. I will post my experiences positive and negative when I make the trip.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The Amtrak site says the Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight will be out of service from Jan 12 until March 12 - I'd give them another 10 days or so, as the Parlor Car is really a nice amenity. However you are moving into Spring Break travel times at the end of March.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The Amtrak site says the Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight will be out of service from Jan 12 until March 12 - I'd give them another 10 days or so, as the Parlor Car is really a nice amenity. However you are moving into Spring Break travel times at the end of March.
Thanks for the heads up!

Probably push into early May to make sure we get the parlor car. I saw the pics. Looks absolutely super. Gonna unplug, bring a book, consume adult beverages and watch the world go by. I will freeze my buns off in Portland for a few days to visit with friends and family and enjoy the slow ride home.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:39 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I have taken the Coast Starlight 6 times at Christmas time from Van Nuys CA which is the 1st stop out of LA to Portland. Its 29 hours and at Christmas its always 2 or 3 hours late because of many people boarding at each stop and even more if there is trouble in the Cascades.
The train is very relaxing and I enjoy the passing scene, I always bring food and snacks. Sleeping in coach is difficult, I just can't get comfortable.
The airport experience really stresses me out but even retired I now fly for more time at my brothers at Christmas instead of on the train. You need to get your tickets 11 months in advance to get the lowest price and parking at Van Nuys is free, flying I will pay $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland