Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post
Pretty interesting that you were mentioning UO because that's actually where I've mostly been thinking about. I was planning to possibly move to Portland after I'm done with school. Glad to know there's a presence and hopefully a good place to start a career.
The UO's presence in Portland is limited to a few departments (arch., journalism, MBA, Law, extension, and a library to support those depts.) and isn't entirely uncontroversial.

I believe OSU's academic presence is limited to Business, but they have a much more extensive Extension operation throughout the state, including the metro.

Looking for jobs in Portland after finishing at the UO is common, but depending on your field of study the UO connection may/may not help you much with actually finding work here when the degree is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderj View Post
Dar Salam on Alberta is the best middle eastern/Iraqi food anywhere. I'd skip St Honore Voodoo, and Salt Straw. Those are tourist hangouts.
I'd skip Voodoo as well.

Dar Salam is good, but I think you're overselling it a bit. I'm sure one can get better middle eastern food in the middle east.

And fwiw, I like a number of lebanese places in Portland as well. I tend not to hit the brewpubs because for the most part I think you can dine as well or cheaper elsewhere if you're on a budget (which I am).

Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
St. Honore is NOT a tourist hangout, it is a neighborhood hangout. Basically 80%+ of the customers live or work within walking distance. I know, it is one of my favorites.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
Salt & Straw may be touristy but they're darn good. If you want to avoid the lines, go to the SE location. They do get lines but nothing on the NW location. Also, it's walking distance to Pok Pok.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderj View Post
Dar Salam on Alberta is the best middle eastern/Iraqi food anywhere. I'd skip St Honore Voodoo, and Salt Straw. Those are tourist hangouts.
St Honore is a tourist hangout? Since when? It seems to mostly be a neighborhood bistro/bakery that has really good bread that's crazy cheap. Salt & Straw may be touristy, but it's quite good. I've stood in a line stretched around the block on NE Alberta and didn't leave feeling disappointed. The NW 23rd location also gets busy but not quite as bad as Alberta.

Voodoo, yes, that's a horrid tourist spot. I don't know that I've ever encountered someone who actually likes their crappy donuts. Screen Door is also not worth visiting. The food's merely okay (being generous) and certainly not worth standing out in the rain waiting for a table. I wouldn't bother going there even if there were no line.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Salt and Straw, the many brew pubs, food carts....what grad school are you looking at?

That place always has a line down the block whenever I go by there.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 AM

34 posts, read 73,263 times
Just curious, but how are the lines at St. Honore on the weekends?
Their baked goods just look too delicious so I think I may need to stop by and check it out

Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Rarely does the line go out the door, the earlier you arrive the greater the selection and fewer the customers. By early I mean earlier than 9 am. It is customary to share a table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: