Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 AM

14 posts, read 25,834 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Bay area for last 3 years. Our daughter (only child) is graduating from her High School in 2016.

We want to move to Portland in Summer of 2016 and settle there. We have visited Portland 3-4 times and love the place. Bay area weather is too hot and dry for us. We prefer cooler temperatures and welcome rain. We cannot buy a nice house in Bay area in our budget (approx $400,000). Life here is so busy and we feel as if there is too much competition in every area. And of course, living expense is very high here.

Our plan is to move to Portland in Summer of 2016, buy a house near PCC (Portland Community College) or PSU and try to find a job and settle there. We are planning to send our daughter to PCC for 2-year diploma in Computer Science & Engineering major and then transfer her credits to PSU 3rd year undergrad program. Since PCC considers CA students as residents, we do not need to establish our residency for the admission. By the time, she applies for PSU in 2018, we will already be considered as residents for PSU.

I would like to have your opinion on our planning above. Both pros and cons are highly welcome.

1) How are PCC Cascade campus and PSU campus for Computer Science programs?

2) Which residential area is better and closer to PCC-Cascade campus and PSU for buying a nice 3 Bedroom house within $400K budget?

3) How is the job market for an experienced software engineer near that area? I need to find work after we move to Portland.

Weather, restaurants and commute up to 30 minutes are not our big concerns so please do not consider them while advising pros and cons of our future plans. Also, my husband has work from home option so one of us will be employed in Portland.

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

-Sena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
2: The Lake Oswego neighborhood known as Mountain Park would be a good place to start, mix of condos and single family dwellings. There are other small neighborhoods in the vicinity of PCC - Cascade Campus.

3: Based on what I hear of the current market there are openings. As you must know it all depends on specific skill set. You are asking about opportunities a year from now so ... who knows. I strongly suggest you start your job search before moving here, it will be much easier to obtain a mortgage if you have a job offer in hand.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,900 times
If I had a 400,000 budget I would live someplace between Division and Hawthrone, just stay below 60th if your on Division. I think it's the heart of Portland and your kid would love it. It's in the center and a good area in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 PM

But that is not convenient to PCC - Cascade campus.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
PCC Cascade is in North Portland, correct? Concordia and Piedmont are both decent neighborhoods. $400,000 doesn't get you as much as it used to, and will go even less distance in 2016, but it's probably possible.

Further into N Portland the prices are better.

I don't know much about PCC's computer science offerings. I took some business classes there and they were ridiculously easy, but that's not the worst thing.

I've heard decent things indirectly about PSU's computer science/engineering, but I have no direct experience with that either.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM

My bad, I confused the Sylvania and Cascade Campuses.

OP, PCC's Computer Science program is offered at the Sylvania and Rock Creek Campuses. Computer Science < Portland Community College

Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
The area around the Sylvania campus is sort of weird. Lots of streets without sidewalks and lots of dead end streets due to the freeway, Barbur Blvd and Capitol Highway.

But it's a safe area and as Nell notes, there are several smaller neighborhoods in the vicinity. The subdivision formerly known as Indian Hills, between SW 26th and 35th and Huber and Taylor's Ferry (officially part of the Markham neighborhood association) is a few miles away, but it's pleasant. Not at all walkable to amenities, but pleasant.

I agree that Mt. Park might be a good option. Multnomah Village is nice.

I know nothing at all about the Rock Creek campus or the area around it.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
To the OP- what part of The Bay Area are you living? I grew up in S.F. and lived in Berkeley which are not hot ever. Even San Mateo County or Southern Marin County are pretty cool in the evenings and still a little windy during the Summer. Are you out in San Jose or far out East Bay? If so, I would recommend you check out the Washington County suburbs as Bay Area suburban living is very different from S.F., Berkeley, Oakland, Pacifica, anywhere along the coast. Cedar Mills in Beaverton is very close to downtown Portland and just a bit of a drive on the 26 to the Rock Creek campus. Beaverton has many Californians who have transplanted here.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
1) How are PCC Cascade campus and PSU campus for Computer Science programs?

PCC is a terrible school for everything. But it's mostly on the student how well they do in life. Oregon colleges are for the most part awful, because the students are apathetic and lazy and the college doesn't hold them to any standard.

http://www.completecollege.org/docs/Oregon.pdf

Graduation rates by state | College Completion

Graduation rates by state | College Completion

2) Which residential area is better and closer to PCC-Cascade campus and PSU for buying a nice 3 Bedroom house within $400K budget?

400k is still pretty good for Portland a 3/2 under 400k is easily doable near PCC cascade, there are too many neighborhoods that fit your vague criteria.

Go to redfin and look at the homes within 5 miles of PCC Cascade...or PSU. Use Google Street view take a virtual walk around the neighborhood. Take a look on Google maps at traffic routes (because they are indeed important.) Narrow it down a bit and get back to us. Most people who move finally do actually move here and purchase a home do not settle where they were sure they wanted to settle.

3) How is the job market for an experienced software engineer near that area? I need to find work after we move to Portland.

I would not use this forum or advice here to find that information out. As an ME I use my connections through internet forums that are in my industry as well as LinkedIn and my alumni network.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 25,834 times
Thank you very much all of you!

I thought PCC-Cascade campus offered Computer Science program. Now I need to focus on Sylvania (or Rock Creek) campus. We are planning to visit PCC and PSU this summer to get the detailed info on admission etc. Of course, we cannot compare UC/CSU with Portland colleges or universities. But I believe in what AndyAMG said in his comment "But it's mostly on the student how well they do in life."

After reading above comments, I searched google map and Mt. Park and Beaverton look closer to both PCC-Sylvania and PSU. We will visit these neighborhoods (including Division St) during our visit to PCC & PSU this summer. Which one has better public transport option for PCC-Sylvania and PSU campuses?

Again, I really appreciate you all for your time and advice!

Last edited by sena2go; 03-01-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland