Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,868 times

Advertisements

I giggle too sometimes. We lived in South Jersey, Philadelphia, Queens and outside DC. Yes, things happen but the average crime around here is theft. Burglary is pretty big but nothing you can't handle by just being smart, aware and locking things up. Things are replaceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaa View Post
As in, Portland's the wrong place? Gresham?

How about anything positive that won't just make me feel more like I'm in a hopeless situation? Wonderful.
If you are not moving to one of the more upscale Gresham areas, you are gonna miss Houston. If you are a low rent person, you will find Gresham is a hopeless situation.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Well, the cost of living will be much higher here. Renting with a dog and cat will not be impossible but you will have to be able to pay additional non-refundable pet deposits and additional pet rent. Because rentals fill up fast landlords tend to say "no pets" because they can. The PDX area is pet friendly but the people that have pets either can afford higher rent or own their own home.

There really is no diversity in PDX as a whole. It is one of the whitest areas in the US. BUT, people here are so politically correct that most won't say anything negative to anyone. My nieces and nephews are mixed race. The older ones will tell you, "white people will smile at you but they will still cross the street when they see you coming" I don't want you to think it's horrible and intolerant here in PDX because it isn't but it's not perfect either.

Jobs are another thing. It is kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Unless you are looking for a position with a very specific set of professional skills finding a job can be hard. Especially when it's easier to interview and hire someone locally. It's financially hard to move to an area without a job, but to get a job it's easier to live here. It's a vicious circle. Also, without a job you will not find many places that will rent to you. There are always exceptions but you may have to live next to a meth dealer. (exaggeration to make a point)

I don't want to totally dash your dreams I just want to give you a more realistic approach to not only moving here but deciding to move anywhere. Even the worst school district in PDX seems to have more resources and better environments for special needs. BUT you said you want to move in August and registration for school began in March. While resources here are good, they can only spread themselves so thin. Coming into the school system so late in the year may mean being on a waitlist for some programs.

My first action would be to find a job.

All good advice and pretty well sums up what I have been saying. Many parts of Gresham are a real hole.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,636,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaa View Post
Based on these replies, my next question would be : Where, based on all I've stated in op, would be an ideal place for what I've marked as important? I have a hard time believing that I would personally find any part of Portland to be rough, especially coming from a difficultish area in Houston. I've come across many complexes in the Gresham area that run very closely to what I pay in Houston. Walkable is preferential, but likely unrealistic.

I have a dog - he's a whippet mix, as well as an indoor cat.

Schools are definitely important to me. I've come across many wonderful options, but I'm concerned based on the fact that being in my financial situation the schools available would be an issue.

I chose Gresham based on suggestions made by those living in and around the Portland area who need access to organizations providing services to children and adults with autism.

I realize that it may seem odd to some, but the "urban" feel would be most welcoming for me as well. I have a friend currently living in Portland who is helping me by following up with different leads/options. Unfortunately visiting would be counterproductive. It is a bit rushed for most, but at this point staying in Houston would mean another year basically lost in terms of my child's education. Rather than a focus on learning, we are constantly battling for understanding and accommodation, that seem to be easier to achieve in places such as Portland or Eugene.

At this point I'm basically looking for a place that will suit my tiny family. I want to choose a place, to then focus solely on the details of moving, and everything a move entails. There's a lot of second guessing happening! Thank you for your replies!
I have no idea how Gresham and autism relate. Most of the services for autism are in Portland and/or Beaverton. Gresham/Barlow school district is not known for a huge choice of placements. Best options for autism class options and diversity are Portland or Beaverton school districts, or further out on the west side (not Hillsboro) but you'll find the most diversity in Portland Public or Beaverton school district. If you're looking for cheaper rent and options for your ASD kid I'd look in Beaverton. I would not look in Gresham. I have no idea who told you that's the place to be for ASD because they're wrong. Check out Portland Autism Moms Facebook group for more autism info.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
... ... I would not look in Gresham. I have no idea who told you that's the place to be for ASD because they're wrong. Check out Portland Autism Moms Facebook group for more autism info.

Great suggestion.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:36 PM

978 posts, read 1,090,281 times
Clackamas is cheap and a lot closer in, its just as crappy as Gresham though

Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM

61 posts, read 122,367 times
Did you ever mention the housing budget you're thinking of? We moved from Houston a year ago. People often have the perception that housing is dirt cheap there. Maybe if you live way out, but not in town or most of the suburbs. We moved from the energy corridor to SE Portland (Mt. Tabor) and I'd say our cost of living is about the same. You do have to consider the addition of state income tax, which is a big one! Giving your budget might help people to offer you advice.

If you look at the suburbs here, they might seem and feel very similar to Houston, but the views, beliefs and people will be very different! I've never had anyone ask me what church I attend upon meeting while living here! I'm a native Oregonian and since moving back have loved the friendliness of people.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 PM

70 posts, read 76,756 times
I would not suggest Gresham, especially with a IEP Student, my personal experiance with Reynolds School District is the main reason we moved back to the North Clackamas School District, they have a great Special Ed Program for all Special Ed/IEP students.
The Milwaukie area is a decent area, parts of it are actually nice, low cost rents in decent apartments, and easy acess to public transit if you need it.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,627,546 times
I don't have enough experience with IEP to make a meaningful suggestion, though schools on the whole are going to be stronger in Beaverton than Gresham, so I'd be a bit surprised if that didn't also hold for IEP resources.

People also tend to think of Gresham as the "cheap" part of Portland, which is only really true to a point. No question it's cheaper than close-in, but it's not "cheap" in the way it was a decade ago, esp. once you get away from the neighborhoods most people don't tend to recommend.

The statistical avg. 2 bedroom rental price in Gresham is basically the same as Milwaukie (just shy of $800), and almost certainly higher if you're looking on the Wood Village/Fairview side of Gresham. Cheaper on the major roads or right along the MAX line, but then some of that discount is the noise and [property] crime.

Now, is Gresham "Ghetto"? Really depends on how you define it. Gresham is still more suburban than "urban" in any meaningful sense, and the ghetto language imo stems from the fact that it's become the destination point for people economically displaced by the gentrification everywhere else, so it does have some concentrations of poverty and racial minorities you won't see living in the Pearl or Overlook anymore. But there aren't any "projects" or high-rise towers or anything of the sort - it's a mix of residential neighborhoods and mixed apt. complexes (with a downtown and new retail development at the town center, plus a variety of strip mall retail scattered about in the suburban fashion).

For reference, in terms of population density, it falls midway between Hillsboro and Beaverton. Presumably anyone saying Gresham is "urban" would say the same of Beaverton, no? Unless of course the word choice is a coded statement about race or class.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times
Hey! I'm 47 year old female, married, no kids 1 small dog. I love Oregon and I'm deciding on neighborhoods outside of Portland. I want to rent a small house in a decent neighborhood. A park would be nice. I would like a walkable neighborhood with a few restaurants and shopping. The SE area outside of Portland. Any suggestions? I truly appreciate suggestions! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland