Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times

Advertisements

I've decided to leave Portland for greener pastures. I will have about $1500 so it's a big gamble but I just need to get the hell out of here. I don't know where I'm going to go yet, but I am going to plan meticulously the next couple of weeks.

I quit my job and gave a 30 day notice to my landlord so I can't go back on it. I'm tired of freezing in my room, can't afford my heating anymore and it's still very cold, dealing with high crime and crackheads because I can't afford to live close-in, not being able to afford my own place, rude unfriendly people, and no opportunity.

Cya Portland! I tried to love it, and couldn't so I'm leaving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I've decided to leave Portland for greener pastures. I will have about $1500 so it's a big gamble but I just need to get the hell out of here. I don't know where I'm going to go yet, but I am going to plan meticulously the next couple of weeks.

I quit my job and gave a 30 day notice to my landlord so I can't go back on it. I'm tired of freezing in my room, can't afford my heating anymore and it's still very cold, dealing with high crime and crackheads because I can't afford to live close-in, not being able to afford my own place, rude unfriendly people, and no opportunity.

I don't blame you. Portland is not worth the money it costs to live here. There are much better places to live and I wish you the best of luck in finding your better place.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't blame you. Portland is not worth the money it costs to live here. There are much better places to live and I wish you the best of luck in finding your better place.
Thank you! And I agree! I'd really like to move back east, but I do have some obligations to my family, I feel, to stay in the state of Oregon. Which is unfortunate. I basically am deciding whether to do what makes me happy or what makes my family happy, and choosing between the more practical choice of moving to Eugene or following my heart and leaving the state altogether.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM

343 posts, read 693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post

You basically described California. xD

Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
You basically described California. xD
It's a West Coast thing really.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,923 times
I always find it interesting how you can ask two people an opinion of an area and can get two radically different interpretations.

For me, I moved here four years ago from metro Cleveland, and while I don't live in Portland proper (I live in Damascus), I absolutely love the Portland area and Pacific NW in general. I could see myself living in the Seattle metro, but other than that, there's no where on this planet I'd rather be than this area.

Now if I lived in Portland proper, especially some of the rougher areas, perhaps it'd be awful. But then again, every town has it's nightmare areas. Cleveland sure had them.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM

210 posts, read 251,921 times
I'll probably do the same in a few years. I don't like the direction I see this city going in. Even though I have a reasonably good job right now, I don't look forward to an uphill battle against rising rents, more and more wealth, overpopulation, etc. I will likely go somewhere in the Midwest.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 PM

813 posts, read 601,416 times
Why not Canada?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,204 times
Well, good luck to you. There is the door. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I always find it interesting how you can ask two people an opinion of an area and can get two radically different interpretations.
Portland is a much nicer city if you can afford to live close-in in a nice area and shop at all the hippie boutiques all the time. It's not a very nice city if you live on or east of 82nd Avenue and are freezing because you can't afford to heat your room, and you never go in your living room because it's always frigid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland