Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 15,251 times

Advertisements

Saw a few of these flying into small opening in the base of our 2nd floor window this weekend, looking like they were building a nest, flying in with grass and small twigs. Now I killed one inside our house in our bathroom, anyone have any idea if this is a wasp? hornet?
I'm assuming it's not a good sign and should probably get an exterminator to take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ID on this? Wasp? Hornet?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg   Any ID on this? Wasp? Hornet?-fullsizerender-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,589,410 times
Looks like a wasp (yellow jacket) to me. There are wasp traps that are very effective. Here is a sample but not the brand I have used: RESCUE!® - WHY Trap for Wasps, Hornets & Yellowjackets

I have never called an exterminator for these critters, a can of insect spray does the job on a nest but be sure to protect yourself while using it.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Wait until after dark. Buy a can of wasp and hornet spray, stand back and spray it into the opening.

It kills on contact. Hornets won't come after you. It sprays in a stream, so you should be able to stand back and still aim it into the opening.

Then take a tube of caulk and fill in the opening.

Walk around and look up at your eaves to see if there are any more nests hanging there. If you find any spray them until they are soaked.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

95 posts, read 116,963 times
Agree - that looks like a yellow jacket. They get ornery later in the summer when the hive population is high and their food sources are shrinking, so best to take care of their nests early. Another method for this is to spray a mix of dish soap and water on the nest. Wait until dusk when they are back inside - the soap glops up their wings and the nest openings.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,629,852 times
OSU Extension Service has a good article on dealing with nests: Know thy enemy

Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM

400 posts, read 414,747 times
I don't think thats a yellow jacket, they are ground dwellers and do not build nests with plant fibers.

Most wasps prey on insects. I do not understand people's knee jerk reaction to spray poisons on every wasp and hornet. They are interesting, highly social creatures. How about the OP tolerate and just observe nature through the window? If there is a crack where they can got in the house, fill it. And yes I have been stung before, I didn't die.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:03 PM

95 posts, read 116,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
I don't think thats a yellow jacket, they are ground dwellers and do not build nests with plant fibers.

Most wasps prey on insects. I do not understand people's knee jerk reaction to spray poisons on every wasp and hornet. They are interesting, highly social creatures. How about the OP tolerate and just observe nature through the window? If there is a crack where they can got in the house, fill it. And yes I have been stung before, I didn't die.

I'd generally agree with that sentiment, but the OP said they were building a nest inside his house. And yellow jackets do build nests both above and in the ground. I leave them be except if they are building them on or around our patio where we hang out and eat during the summer. My wife has a strong allergic reaction, and the summer I let them be, they got very numerous and aggressive later in the season.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
........ tolerate and just observe nature through the window? .......
I'm a big fan of observing nature and live and let live. However, there is a line drawn when it comes to my house and things that bite, sting, or are poisonous. I'll observe them outside. As long as they stay out of my personal space and don't pose a threat to me or my family, pets, or livestock, they can go their merry way.

Yellow jackets, by the way, are not very good about sharing space, and since it is my space, if they can't get along, they have to be the ones to go.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 PM

780 posts, read 1,578,852 times
That is most definitely a yellow jacket. And oregonwoodsmoke is right on the money with his/her recommendation of how to destroy them.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,717,783 times
Looking at the second photo, I disagree with those who say that is a yellow jacket. It looks to be a paper wasp. While the two are related, paper wasps are actually beneficial insects because they prey on unwanted insects. They don't tend to be super aggressive like yellow jackets.

Paper Wasp.

Yellow Jacket

Last edited by ormari; 07-07-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland