Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 AM

148 posts, read 178,519 times

Advertisements

I LOVE Portland, but I'm also not a Californian, maybe that's the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
I LOVE Portland, but I'm also not a Californian, maybe that's the difference.
The anti- Californian crap on this forum is getting silly. Provincial and silly.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Only to the Californians though.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The anti- Californian crap on this forum is getting silly.
It's funny that it's socially acceptable to hate someone because they're born in a neighboring state and moves across state lines here, but someone born over a international border is usually just seen as a either a interesting novelty or someone protected from any kind of negative comments(except among certain groups).

Quote:
Provincial and silly.
That sums up the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Only to the Californians though.
Not really. The idea that Portlanders and Californians are incredibly different is amusing. Most citizens of the world wouldn't notice a huge difference as most West coast cities have a similar culture... vibe, if you will. West coasters on the East coast kind of bond because we stick out as different from the right coast. You would see this if you lived in NYC for over 15 years and spent significant time in Boston and D.C.. It's the truth but West coasters tgat stay on the left coast have no idea. Like East coasters don't see how their attitudes translate or don't for that matter, on this side of the country. I have been reading this forum lately and giggling at the silliness. I am a Californian so I brush off the nastiness.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
It's funny that it's socially acceptable to hate someone because they're born in a neighboring state and moves across state lines here, but someone born over a international border is usually just seen as a either a interesting novelty or someone protected from any kind of negative comments(except among certain groups).

That sums up the Pacific Northwest.
Yes and I knew that I would face this if I moved back to the West coast. It's one of the cons of living here but the pros outweighed the cons. NYC is provincial too in that many NYers don't travel to other parts of the country and stay in their own neighborhood and borough. I feel fortunate to have lived in different parts of this great country and remember that we are all Americans who have the right to live in ANY state. Yeah. It's 2015, people.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:59 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
While I agree that at the individual level it's illogical, it's important to look at the overall impact of collective in-migration to understand the reaction.

When the NY Times mapped state of origin in 2012 their data showed that 14% of Oregon residents were born in CA. By comparison only 5% were from WA and only 10% were from the entirety of the world outside the U.S., of which Canada would be a subset.

"A Californian" may have no different impact from "A Canadian," sure, but "Californians" have a much weightier impact than "Canadians."

It's not really all that different from why people in Texas freak out about Mexican immigrants collectively, yet may support a particular Mexican immigrant or find a Swedish accent to be a novelty. I'm not making an argument that it's good/bad, just that it's not particularly surprising as a collective response.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
While I agree that at the individual level it's illogical, it's important to look at the overall impact of collective in-migration to understand the reaction.

When the NY Times mapped state of origin in 2012 their data showed that 14% of Oregon residents were born in CA. By comparison only 5% were from WA and only 10% were from the entirety of the world outside the U.S., of which Canada would be a subset.

"A Californian" may have no different impact from "A Canadian," sure, but "Californians" have a much weightier impact than "Canadians."

It's not really all that different from why people in Texas freak out about Mexican immigrants collectively, yet may support a particular Mexican immigrant or find a Swedish accent to be a novelty. I'm not making an argument that it's good/bad, just that it's not particularly surprising as a collective response.
California is the most populated state in the U.S. so of course you will see more Californians moving here from CA than from a less populated state. I don't care personally, what angry people on the internet think of my home state as I have been treated VERY WELL by native Portlanders and native Oregonians from outside of Portland. My kids' new schools in Beaverton have staffs that include many Oregon born people and they have been more than kind to my kids and me. I am sorry but I just don't buy the whole, "Oregon is not like anywhere else in the whole world" mentality. People are people. We are all human. Trust me. Oregonians are not special people who think, feel, and act so differently from humans from other places. Treat others well and in general, you will be met with the same. Act a fool and well, you know. I have had many native Portlanders teach and help my children with more compassion and zeal than anyone in NYC ever did. You can only believe stereotypes and generalizations to a point then you need to use the God given common sense that you were born with. Oregon, California, Washington, Arizona... All states in the U.S.A.! People need to accept that each state is part of a great country and deal with it. This thread is just ridiculous.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 10-28-2015 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
There are neighboring state "rivalries" all across the country. It is not peculiar to Oregon/California.

I was raised in Wisconsin and the permeating philosophy for decades has been that Chicago and other Illinois rich folk are forever clogging up WI beaches and campgrounds. Because all Chicagoins are "rich" they make our property more expensive.

I have heard same thing from Vermonters about NY and MASS people.
Just the way it is.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
There are neighboring state "rivalries" all across the country. It is not peculiar to Oregon/California.

I was raised in Wisconsin and the permeating philosophy for decades has been that Chicago and other Illinois rich folk are forever clogging up WI beaches and campgrounds. Because all Chicagoins are "rich" they make our property more expensive.

I have heard same thing from Vermonters about NY and MASS people.
Just the way it is.
Yes, my point. Oregon is not special as some posters believe and honestly, the more you live in other regions you see provincial attitudes, which I mentioned in my posts. Californians are like the New Yorkers of the West coast. Oregon is going to grow its population as the West coast is a very desirable place to live. I will probably never live in my hometown of S.F. and I could be bitter about that but I would rather live a positive life and create community and strengthen my present community. Looking back without a plan for the future is a recipe for unhappiness. A majority of posters in this forum seem to have a difficult time moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland