Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 PM

33 posts, read 36,207 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm contemplating a work relocation to Portland, Oregon from Southern California. The firm I work for is located in downtown Portland north or Burnside street and East of the 405. Looking for recommendations of family neighborhoods. Ideally would like 2,000+ sq feet family home in a family friendly neighborhood (I'll have two kids under the age of 3 when the move is done) with a commute under 30 min (shorter would be great). My budget is up to the $750K range, but would prefer $500K range, if possible (price and commute time will likely be the trade off I have to make as it is with most employment centers). Any recommendations as to where I should be looking? San Diego is awesome, but this relocation could be very rewarding for my career, it's going to be a tough decision for me to make. I do like to hunt and fish, so that is a plus, but it's going to be a tough change for the significant other that loves sunny So Cal weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Evidently you will be working dead center of the downtown area. How do you feel about taking the MAX from the Orenco neighborhood (Hillsboro)? NW Portland is a perennial favorite, it has excellent bus service, you could even walk to work from a single family dwelling, but the neighborhood is being loved to death. If you could do with commuter bus service then look along Bus Route 51 (Vista). There are really lots of options but I know those neighborhoods best.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 PM

311 posts, read 348,509 times
My picks would be the NW around 23rd, Laurelhurst, or Irvington. I like walkable areas with plenty of restaurants and parks. Do you prefer more walkable urban or suburban?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 AM

In NW actually any place south of Vaughn west of 21st on the flats would work. The area around 23 & 21st doesn't have many single family dwellings. The neighborhood west of the Thurman Street bridge (29th) is a hidden treasure.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM

33 posts, read 36,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
My picks would be the NW around 23rd, Laurelhurst, or Irvington. I like walkable areas with plenty of restaurants and parks. Do you prefer more walkable urban or suburban?
How long would the rush hour commute be to downtown from those neighborhoods in the hills to the west of downtown? I've seen some pretty cool places with larger lots and views in that area that sparked my interest.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerzz View Post
How long would the rush hour commute be to downtown from those neighborhoods in the hills to the west of downtown? I've seen some pretty cool places with larger lots and views in that area that sparked my interest.
East of the West Hills. North of Powell Boulevard. West of 39th (Chavez) and South of Alberta. All are in your price range and all 30 minute commute or less.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
As long as you won't be using Hgy 26 not an issue. I did notice a parade of cars coming down Vista the other morning, executives & professionals headed to the office.

Lot size can be deceiving as west hills properties are hilly.

The homes are really turning over from residents in their 60s who raised their kids in the neighborhood to residents in their 30s/40s with school age children. What was once schools with low enrollment are now brimming with students with involved parents. Many of the homes were built when the typical family had 4 or more children.

I grew up in NW Portland, attended Chapman Grade School & Lincoln High School. It is incredible the % of my classmates who are in the area 60 years later, many retired from careers elsewhere.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:15 PM

311 posts, read 348,509 times
Quote:
It would not be long at all, as Nell said as long as you can avoid 26. I've not done the commute into downtown from the hills myself, but it is very accessible I'm sure. The further west you go (into and over the hills), the less mixed-use and walkable the neighborhoods become, just FYI. Not sure how important that is to you.

I used to take the 12 bus on the east side from the Laurelhurst area into downtown and it was an easy 10-20 minute bus ride depending on traffic. From the east side, it is very fast to commute by bike if you are into that. My husband often commutes from the east side by bike and he says it is usually faster and less stressful than when he drives.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 AM

82 posts, read 146,286 times
You could look in SW Portland. We live in the Arnold Creek area and really love it. We are close to Tryon Creek State Park, 10-20 minutes from downtown (depending on traffic), have good access to both I-5 and Hwy. 217 and in a good school boundary area. It is not a particularly pedestrian friendly area but there are a lot of amenities nearby. Check out listings in the 97219 zip code and specify Stephenson as the elementary school (best in this area) and you'll see that there are many good options available in your price range.

Here is one listing in our neighborhood: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1.../home/26625050

Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
I'm contemplating a work relocation to Portland, Oregon from Southern California. The firm I work for is located in downtown Portland north or Burnside street and East of the 405.
One minor OT piece of advice from a native Oregonian who has bounced back and forth between OR and CA a few times... don't ever use THE in front of a freeway number in Oregon. You'll automatically be tagged as a Californian (even worse - someone from Southern California) and your life will be over in Oregon.

I exaggerate... only slightly. I've seen Californians innocently say "the 5" or "the 26" in casual conversation in Portland and get insulted and blamed by native Portlanders for everything bad that has ever happened to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland