Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
And Vegas is a WAY better city than PDX. Sunny, warm, inexpensive, everything open 24 hours, favorable laws, no income taxes at all, I mean I can't think of literally anything that's better about OR. Boring rainy mediocre state.
You mean other than much higher unemployment and a dearth of good jobs in Vegas, right?

It's not all about weather and being able to buy liquor at 4 AM.

Also, how about quick and easy access to the coast, gorge, mountains, high desert...

Or, tons of locally grown food?

Vegas isn't horrible, but let's be real. Pretty much the only things it has going for it are sunshine and cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times
Quote:
And Vegas is a WAY better city than PDX. Sunny, warm, inexpensive, everything open 24 hours, favorable laws, no income taxes at all, I mean I can't think of literally anything that's better about OR. Boring rainy mediocre state.
I can't do more than four days in Vegas before feeling dirty and gross there. It is nice to visit, but I prefer the rain of Oregon that causes this state to be so green, plus it scares off that can't handle the rain.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:56 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
I lived in NYC for a long time. I moved to Portland over six years ago and I guess, along with all the other transplants who keep moving here... I like being bored. I stayed out in Manhattan, enjoying bars and nightlife for many years and now I enjoy the morning and the natural beauty of Oregon.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I lived in NYC for a long time. I moved to Portland over six years ago and I guess, along with all the other transplants who keep moving here... I like being bored. I stayed out in Manhattan, enjoying bars and nightlife for many years and now I enjoy the morning and the natural beauty of Oregon.
I spent my single years living in downtown Portland and going out drinking every night, but now that I am older and married, I would much rather go to bed early and then get up early to go out to breakfast with my wife before all the hung over kids get up. That sounds much more enjoyable to me these days that anything nightlife has to offer.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:07 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Eww. I never get up early unless I absolutely have to and in general that means I better be getting paid well. Normally speaking I would prefer to get up at noon, and no I don't go out to bars or clubs. I've been with my GF for 4.5 years and neither of us are into that scene but I'm also not ever going to be getting up early. No thanks! The night is just getting started at 10 pm, it's no time to be sleeping. Morning sucks!

Also I'm sorry but the people who say they can't handle Vegas for more than 4 days both deserve a boring city like Oregon and don't get that people live normal lives in Vegas and don't just go out partying every day. But it sure is nice to know its there! There's NOTHING going on in downtown Portland at all. It closes earlier than the suburbs. I've lived in the Pearl for 2 years and moving to Beaverton again actually is exciting that's how boring this city is. It's pathetic. When I'm in Vegas I feel alive - the desert is beautiful, much prettier than the rain and looking out at cool, totally unique buildings and neon signs and amazing features is way cooler than this dreary place. It's just a depressing breeder central.

Who cares if there's higher unemployment in Vegas?! Good! I can hire a personal assistant for cheaper then. I can be guaranteed lower costs. I'm not searching for a job. I don't want to pay a premium for a place to have a good economy.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:50 PM

300 posts, read 267,508 times
Quote:
Eww. I never get up early unless I absolutely have to and in general that means I better be getting paid well. Normally speaking I would prefer to get up at noon, and no I don't go out to bars or clubs. I've been with my GF for 4.5 years and neither of us are into that scene but I'm also not ever going to be getting up early. No thanks! The night is just getting started at 10 pm, it's no time to be sleeping. Morning sucks!

Also I'm sorry but the people who say they can't handle Vegas for more than 4 days both deserve a boring city like Oregon and don't get that people live normal lives in Vegas and don't just go out partying every day. But it sure is nice to know its there! There's NOTHING going on in downtown Portland at all. It closes earlier than the suburbs. I've lived in the Pearl for 2 years and moving to Beaverton again actually is exciting that's how boring this city is. It's pathetic. When I'm in Vegas I feel alive - the desert is beautiful, much prettier than the rain and looking out at cool, totally unique buildings and neon signs and amazing features is way cooler than this dreary place. It's just a depressing breeder central.

Who cares if there's higher unemployment in Vegas?! Good! I can hire a personal assistant for cheaper then. I can be guaranteed lower costs. I'm not searching for a job. I don't want to pay a premium for a place to have a good economy.
I like the way this guy thinks!

Old 02-27-2016, 05:33 PM

127 posts, read 306,720 times
Yes. Much bubble. U.S. housing bust sometime after 2017. Portland metro will be ok and fizzle down slower or later than the US. Possibly a real recession in 2019. News media and government will do their very best to downplay it just like the Great Recession (which was actually a moderate Depression), and Americans won't feel the pain again until then. Right now is time to just keep looking for bargains, NOT dream homes.

My big worry is not the housing bust or even the next Recession. It's after recession- perhaps a decade-long 'recovery' because a lot of service jobs are NOT coming back, whether baby boomers or gen-x/y are still working those jobs or not. Big layoffs. The next decade will be ripe for full blown automation, smartphone apps, do-it-yourself for almost everything. The $15 wage movement will be pointless.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:

So you are wealthy, run a business, have employees in LA, live in Portland but don't like it here.....there are some serious red flags in your posts, but whatever makes you feel good.

I would rather live in a lush green place than a dry brown place. Vegas seems like the perfect place for you to move to, with all your money and company in LA, I am sure your girlfriend will go to where ever you tell her to go.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainierman View Post
Yes. Much bubble. U.S. housing bust sometime after 2017. Portland metro will be ok and fizzle down slower or later than the US. Possibly a real recession in 2019. News media and government will do their very best to downplay it just like the Great Recession (which was actually a moderate Depression), and Americans won't feel the pain again until then. Right now is time to just keep looking for bargains, NOT dream homes.

My big worry is not the housing bust or even the next Recession. It's after recession- perhaps a decade-long 'recovery' because a lot of service jobs are NOT coming back, whether baby boomers or gen-x/y are still working those jobs or not. Big layoffs. The next decade will be ripe for full blown automation, smartphone apps, do-it-yourself for almost everything. The $15 wage movement will be pointless.
The recession will have more to do with China's economy going into a recession. The effect in the US won't be anywhere near as bad as it was in 2008-10.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:

Hopefully you'll be able to move soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland