Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

My son really likes this mass transit solution Bus Systems by Scania - scania.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7X21nI5YWs The MAX roadbed might be modifiable to accommodate these vehicles along I-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:04 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes, and in the meantime Vancouver area residents are forced to drive or bus to Portland and are caught in interminable traffic backups. There is just no room to add lanes to I-5 through Portland, widening that bridge won't fix the problem. The preliminary design of the new I-5 bridge did not provide for it opening to accommodate river traffic. Big oops. To design a new bridge that is high enough to provide passage will mean a grade that starts south of Marine Drive.

When the I-205 bridge was designed WA nixed light rail on that span as well.
I'd quibble with that underlined part just a bit. I think you could actually see some improvement if you could widen the road enough to create a curbed-off dedicated through-lane starting at the 405 interchange that didn't offer any exit until SR-500 or the 205 juncture with only a few entrance points into that lane in between.

A lot of the slow down comes from not just the heavy volume but the constant back and forth merging across at all the existing ramps (and then in between as cars in the right lane insert themselves in the left lanes to gain some minor advantage and thereby creates ripples in that flow).

No question the Vancouver peeps constitute a significant chunk of the volume, but having sat in that morass it's the number/structure of the entrance/exit ramps that really bog it down. Northbound things tend to open up by the north end of the bridge where things become a bit more normalized in the flow.

Though how you'd engineer something like that into the existing roads, IDK.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM

In the Bay Area they have carpool lanes and in Seattle there is a through lane on I-5 north of the city that changes direction with the commute.

The Bay Area carpool lanes enable drivers to 'buy' the right to travel in that lane. In our area the set-up cost of such a system wouldn't justify it, not to mention the politics.

I rather like the idea of a through lane that also accommodates trucks, it should be well used. I think that would eliminate a lot of lane changing in the most congested sections of the route. Build a low curb to separate that lane from the rest of traffic to discourage 'hoppers' but designed to permit a lane change in case of an accident, a relatively inexpensive install.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:38 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
No question the Vancouver peeps constitute a significant chunk of the volume, but having sat in that morass it's the number/structure of the entrance/exit ramps that really bog it down. Northbound things tend to open up by the north end of the bridge where things become a bit more normalized in the flow.
IMO, having the SR-14 exit ramp right at the end of the bridge certainly does NOT help matters!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
IMO, having the SR-14 exit ramp right at the end of the bridge certainly does NOT help matters!
Agree - and IIRC it's a pretty sharp angle for the speed with a wall there to punish mistakes. I think (from memory) where the road opens up is whatever point Jantzen Beach traffic is absorbed, and where SR-14 is queued up nicely, allowing everyone else to move more smoothly on with their own business.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM

It is getting there that is the time killer. Starts, basically, at exit 303 (Swan Island) from the south.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Agree - and IIRC it's a pretty sharp angle for the speed with a wall there to punish mistakes. I think (from memory) where the road opens up is whatever point Jantzen Beach traffic is absorbed, and where SR-14 is queued up nicely, allowing everyone else to move more smoothly on with their own business.
It seems to open up between SR-14 and Mill Plain, which always makes me wonder what the heck happened to all the cars to go from standstill to free-flowing in a snap. Alien abduction?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
It seems to open up between SR-14 and Mill Plain, which always makes me wonder what the heck happened to all the cars to go from standstill to free-flowing in a snap. Alien abduction?
It's the overall reduction in cars getting off/on per mile. I think it's basically 6 miles from the 405 merge to the SR-14 exit, and in that span (inclusive) I think there are 7 on-ramps and 8 exits.

In a number of places the exit for the next interchange is only 500 or so feet from the prior on-ramp. It's the combination of that density (complicates merge flow) with the heavy volume already on the road.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Vancouver area residents are forced to drive or bus to Portland and are caught in interminable traffic backups. There is just no room to add lanes to I-5 through Portland, widening that bridge won't fix the problem.
Just imagine what it's going to be like after Portland's new development adds another million people to the metro like they're planning!

I think a lot of people think of Vancouver-Portland like I tended to - as all part of the same area, but they aren't and each state is likely to continue to make headaches for the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: