Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 873 times

Advertisements

My main need is diversity. in the sense that i could play in a jazz combo or an avant-garde rock band. the more opportunities for gigging, the better. And i also don't want to get screwed over by venue owners (I've heard that this is less of an epidemic in Portland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
You should pose this question on Reddit and you should look at the mercury for gigs. This website is about Real estate primarily.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
You can refer to this thread that was recently on the Portland forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

Old 05-16-2016, 11:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
If you're looking to start a full-time music career, I have a hard time believing Portland would be a good choice. There are probably 10 different cities at least that would be better than Portland. It would be a different story if the music is just a hobby/side gig and you don't intend to ever support yourself from it.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM

43 posts, read 55,905 times
LOL I was amazed with how bad it actually was when I went there to live. Portland seems great for music if you hang around the small time musicians or stay within the inner core but most of it is beer swilin classic rock fans, like working class MA where I am from. I was amazed how much it was actually like back home in the way that the area I lived in out in SE Division was just not like the Portland I had expected. I'm like why the hell did I come all this way just to find it was no different than home? Because lets face it, in actual practice.. I didn't live in the trendy parts I visited 4 yrs prior to moving there. SE Division area was like a more dangerous multi racial version of where I am from pretty much with way more trashy people and tweakers. Some of the worst I ever seen to tell you the truth. It might have once been an ok neighborhood though.

But ya outside of all that, the music scene I do think is overrated there.. you can get indie music fans in small cities in the south or wherever you're living. I doubt you have to go to Portland for it but if you're going for big time, Portland is probably the worst place.. Nashville is worlds better even. I think people from small town America or people who live in true hellholes that are boring come to Portland and want to move there because ya of course it has "lots of culture" compared to the boring town you're from but in the long run you may regret the decision and even may prefer that small town you left.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I think Portland is good for a young musician with respect to making music as there is still a fairly large avenue for such. But living here is becoming very expensive and music venues are shrinking.

In other words, it may be pretty good now, but I doubt it will be 7 years from now.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brown Prune co View Post
My main need is diversity. in the sense that i could play in a jazz combo or an avant-garde rock band. the more opportunities for gigging, the better. And i also don't want to get screwed over by venue owners (I've heard that this is less of an epidemic in Portland)
Go online and look through Willamette Week for the venues and bands (the print edition is easier to browse than the online edition) and then hit Craigslist and the "Musicians" thread and you'll at least see a snapshot of bands seeking musicians.

Willamette Week powered by Scenethink

Old 05-23-2016, 10:14 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I think Portland is good for a young musician with respect to making music as there is still a fairly large avenue for such. But living here is becoming very expensive and music venues are shrinking.

In other words, it may be pretty good now, but I doubt it will be 7 years from now.

Nobody thinks about how the surge in "rent" applies to commercial use as well. Many venues feel the strain from increasing rent for their businesses, and many nightclubs have closed, leaving many musicians in tight squeezes. Very few musicians/bands here are able to actually make a living just off their music.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Nobody thinks about how the surge in "rent" applies to commercial use as well. Many venues feel the strain from increasing rent for their businesses, and many nightclubs have closed, leaving many musicians in tight squeezes. Very few musicians/bands here are able to actually make a living just off their music.
But isn't this the case in any city?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Very much - it is not just a Portland thing. Even 10-15 years ago you could make a living playing music (originals + covers) at the local level. Now it's a bit harder, it takes multiple gigs a night plus the real money-maker of private parties and weddings. I have friends playing in Portland making $50 (per musician) for a 2-3 hour gig. Add set-up and tear down time plus paying the sound guy and that isn't even minimum wage. Sure, some bands do better at some venues and there are tip jars.

Part of the problem is the people just don't want to pay a cover charge to hear music - sometimes even a $5 charge is "too much." Bar owners like to claim that the smoking ban really cut in to business, which may be true as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: