Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm not waiting till I get notice. I've been watching the unit next to me sit vacant since the end of March. I saw it on Craig's for a full $100/mo. more than we pay. We have a garden and fireplace but in every other way that unit is exactly the same as ours. They have had to lower the price to what we are paying now but they still haven't got any takers. We're talking very close in NE. I'm not seeing the justification for year over year rent increases and I plan to be proactive about it. The longer that unit sits empty the stronger my case.

In general, the answer to the question, "Why Do Landlords Do X?", is Because They Can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:49 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_m View Post
I've been reading about predatory landlords here in the Portland area the last year and took heed. Right on schedule we got notice today that the rent on our 3 bedroom apartment is going up to $1735 a month at the end of our lease in June. At the same time vacant 3 bedroom apartments with the same floor plan are being offered for $1485 a month. Apparently the theory is we're stuck and it would be too much cost and trouble to move so they can stick it to us. Fortunately we saw this coming and are closing on our new home tomorrow.
Having a similar thing here and if anything we should get a free month we have lived here for 10 years. Why not reward our longevity and commitment? Our rent is going up about $250.
Spouse does not want to move. I am stuck in this Sh^% hole I hate.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Having a similar thing here and if anything we should get a free month we have lived here for 10 years. Why not reward our longevity and commitment? Our rent is going up about $250.

10 yrs renting! - Yikes - lots of $$ pissed away there.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Ouch on the $250. I feel your pain, granted, I do like my apartment, so I can't complain. I don't get that either regarding NOT rewarding longevity and commitment. Our car insurance does it, why not apartments? Hehe, sorry, my car insurance is up for renewal and one of the discounts I get is longevity.

So, my apartment complex said their 2-bdrms are over $1600 now. I guess that's the new market rate for summer; although the leasing agent feels it won't go down during fall like it usually does. Crazy!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
housing, just like everything in America, has been perverted and molested by greed and people with access to more money than sense. Portland is no exception, though may be seeing the worst of it.

I'm going outside to smoke in the humidity of mid-summer Birmingham. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland