Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with areas to look at for home buying. I'm not looking for another 1-2 years, but also, if I find a great area, I wouldn't mind renting to see if I like it (I always try to do that before buying). Also, I saw the other post about the $400k homes, which I did read, but I need more specifics in regards to thinking about commute also.

I am currently working in Hillsboro near Intel (off or Corn Pass/Cornell) and my BF is working on Hayden Island, but could possibly be transferred to Scappoose. He's in retail so at the longest, his shift is from 10am - 8pm and 1 day a week getting off at 5ish. Right now I'm working a 9-6pm shift. Currently we are living in Hillsboro, about 2 miles from my work.

I'm looking for a detached SFH, with a backyard (enough for a garden and dogs to really run around). Our budget will most likely be on the lower end (so, in today's market, think 400k max). I've looked on Trulia, but unsure of the areas, so figured I'd ask.

Disclaimer: 40 years living in SoCal is not going to change how I say my freeways as it sounds wrong and takes a lot of effort. Sorry and accept it.

We were thinking of the area above and below the 26 between downtown and the 217. West Haven, Bethany (at the farthest west), West Slope, Raleigh Hills. I realize those aren't cheap, so I started expanding my search....to Garden Home-Whitford, Beaverton between Beaverton-Hillsdale and the 26. And then started wondering about Mulnomah or all that foresty area between the 26 and 30 (which I doubt we can afford anyways). My BF brought up Sellwood or even the area along Macadam, but I rarely drive through there.

And of course, by this point, I start thinking, what is MY commute going to look like since I work peak traffic hours. I know my co-worker lives in St. Johns and said the commute isn't too bad....except when Germantown is iced up or there was a huge accident.

I'm starting a search early so I can really explore and see what is out there. I realize things can change within a block or two, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions. I have to admit, I really miss the non-Hillsboro suburban areas. Y'know, where there are tons of trees, houses with character, not your typical SoCal planned community where everything looks the same. Bleah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with areas to look at for home buying. I'm not looking for another 1-2 years, but also, if I find a great area, I wouldn't mind renting to see if I like it (I always try to do that before buying). Also, I saw the other post about the $400k homes, which I did read, but I need more specifics in regards to thinking about commute also.

I am currently working in Hillsboro near Intel (off or Corn Pass/Cornell) and my BF is working on Hayden Island, but could possibly be transferred to Scappoose. He's in retail so at the longest, his shift is from 10am - 8pm and 1 day a week getting off at 5ish. Right now I'm working a 9-6pm shift. Currently we are living in Hillsboro, about 2 miles from my work.

I'm looking for a detached SFH, with a backyard (enough for a garden and dogs to really run around). Our budget will most likely be on the lower end (so, in today's market, think 400k max). I've looked on Trulia, but unsure of the areas, so figured I'd ask.

Disclaimer: 40 years living in SoCal is not going to change how I say my freeways as it sounds wrong and takes a lot of effort. Sorry and accept it.

We were thinking of the area above and below the 26 between downtown and the 217. West Haven, Bethany (at the farthest west), West Slope, Raleigh Hills. I realize those aren't cheap, so I started expanding my search....to Garden Home-Whitford, Beaverton between Beaverton-Hillsdale and the 26. And then started wondering about Mulnomah or all that foresty area between the 26 and 30 (which I doubt we can afford anyways). My BF brought up Sellwood or even the area along Macadam, but I rarely drive through there.

And of course, by this point, I start thinking, what is MY commute going to look like since I work peak traffic hours. I know my co-worker lives in St. Johns and said the commute isn't too bad....except when Germantown is iced up or there was a huge accident.

I'm starting a search early so I can really explore and see what is out there. I realize things can change within a block or two, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions. I have to admit, I really miss the non-Hillsboro suburban areas. Y'know, where there are tons of trees, houses with character, not your typical SoCal planned community where everything looks the same. Bleah.
How about a house in the Vose neighborhood in Beaverton? There are very cool mid century homes that interested me a few years back but we chose another neighborhood. Vose tends to be more affordable because the schools are not as highly sought out but you are not concerned with schools. I also have seen homes in Greenway for about 400k maybe as recently as a month ago. As for Garden Home... I love that area but I do think it's spendy. Maybe you can find a fixer but it's a pretty desirable area. As for Sellwood... we couldn't find anything in your budget even four years ago. The neighborhood near McAdam may have a condo in John's Landing.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
How about a house in the Vose neighborhood in Beaverton? There are very cool mid century homes that interested me a few years back but we chose another neighborhood. Vose tends to be more affordable because the schools are not as highly sought out but you are not concerned with schools. I also have seen homes in Greenway for about 400k maybe as recently as a month ago. As for Garden Home... I love that area but I do think it's spendy. Maybe you can find a fixer but it's a pretty desirable area. As for Sellwood... we couldn't find anything in your budget even four years ago. The neighborhood near McAdam may have a condo in John's Landing.
I will check out those areas and thank you for letting me know about some of the other areas, and that they may already be out of my price range. Boo, but good to know.

And thanks for reminding me to say, "school's aren't important", haha. I always forget that people do try to live near good schools if they have kids. Grateful that's one thing I don't have to worry about, per se.

Gonna go do some checking out. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM

151 posts, read 233,250 times
"it sounds wrong and takes a lot of effort. Sorry and accept it."

How about you adapt to the place you moved instead of expecting it to adapt to you?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPDXGuy View Post
"it sounds wrong and takes a lot of effort. Sorry and accept it."

How about you adapt to the place you moved instead of expecting it to adapt to you?
Just an FYI. I'm not expecting OR to adapt to me in any way, that's why I apologized for being Oregon incorrect. I said accept it because I wasn't going to fix my text (saying "accept it" sounded kinda harsh, didn't it, sorry about it, I didn't mean it like that). Unfortunately, forcing myself to be grammatically incorrect is really hard. I still can't pronounce Aloha correctly no matter how much I try. As much as I am completely an Oregonian in all other ways, there are things that are going to be very difficult to change; grammar being the #1 hardest item. Again, sorry that it's hard for me to change my grammar.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I will check out those areas and thank you for letting me know about some of the other areas, and that they may already be out of my price range. Boo, but good to know.

And thanks for reminding me to say, "school's aren't important", haha. I always forget that people do try to live near good schools if they have kids. Grateful that's one thing I don't have to worry about, per se.

Gonna go do some checking out. Thanks!
The school issue is very important so if you find a house that is in a certain neighborhood but cheaper than homes a few blocks away it most likely the difference in school feeds. You can literally live anywhere in the area if you are not concerned with schools...it really widens your net. I have seen homes in your budget in Sexton Mountain, as well. I like living where I do because I can drive the backways in and out of Portland without taking freeways. I take the 5 a lot, too! BTW, I didn't grow up saying "the" before freeways in NorCal but picked it up in NYC. Now it's hard to stop and my family in Bay Area hates it! I guess I will fit in LA on my vacation coming up. ��

Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The school issue is very important so if you find a house that is in a certain neighborhood but cheaper than homes a few blocks away it most likely the difference in school feeds. You can literally live anywhere in the area if you are not concerned with schools...it really widens your net. I have seen homes in your budget in Sexton Mountain, as well. I like living where I do because I can drive the backways in and out of Portland without taking freeways. I take the 5 a lot, too! BTW, I didn't grow up saying "the" before freeways in NorCal but picked it up in NYC. Now it's hard to stop and my family in Bay Area hates it! I guess I will fit in LA on my vacation coming up. ��
Oh, I kinda like where the Sexton Mountain area is, as long as I don't have to go near Murray Blvd. Not sure BF would like that commute to Hayden Island though. Hmmm....but, still liking what I see. If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live? Or what general area?

That is funny that you picked up "the" in NYC. I know it's not just SoCal, but still funny since most people associate it with that region. And yup, you'll definitely fit in LA...at least for that. Being pale white, maybe not so much (well, assuming you look like the rest of the pasty Oregonians still), haha.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, I kinda like where the Sexton Mountain area is, as long as I don't have to go near Murray Blvd. Not sure BF would like that commute to Hayden Island though. Hmmm....but, still liking what I see. If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live? Or what general area?

That is funny that you picked up "the" in NYC. I know it's not just SoCal, but still funny since most people associate it with that region. And yup, you'll definitely fit in LA...at least for that. Being pale white, maybe not so much (well, assuming you look like the rest of the pasty Oregonians still), haha.
I live near Murray Hill and yeah, Sexton is on other side of Murray. HA! I am mixed race and a native NorCal but I blend in with locals in SoCal depending on the area. I am def not pasty! HA! Looking forward to going to the beaches in LA. Any ways, you may want to stay closer to SW Portland. How about St. John's in Portland?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Rock Creek has some nice older level homes with large yards and good schools.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Rock Creek has some nice older level homes with large yards and good schools.
Unfortunately, Rock Creek is for the most part significantly over the OP's budget for a SFH with a decent sized yard unless the house is small and a significant fixer.

OP for your budget you should be looking in the older neighborhoods of Beaverton and Hillsboro south of the Sunset highway. And please please do try and lose the "the" unless you want to be instantly marked as a Californian as long as you are in Oregon. Californians are the only people I've ever met in the Western US that add a "the" in front of the freeway number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland