Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,166 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about moving to Portland (or Denver) next year and I'm hoping to visit in the Spring to really get a better idea of whether or not it would be a good fit. Initially I was excited about the prospect of moving to a new state and living on my own, but after a little research, the novelty has worn off and reality has set in. Just the idea of finding housing/a roommate seems impossible and honestly it's really hard to gauge anything without having actually step foot in the city.

So my question is this, what neighborhoods/surrounding areas should I be looking at?

At this point my only requirements are that I live somewhere that's safe and very close to public transit (i won't have a car). I have no expectation of ever being able to afford living in the city but I would love to be able to access it in a reasonable amount of time.

The max that I could afford for rent is $400. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I just need a better idea of what areas to focus on so I'll know where to explore when I actually visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 04:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
It will depend on where you find employment. The rental market is very hot right now. With all of the people wanting to rent there is no reason why a landlord would rent to someone without an income when there are plenty of other people wanting the place who do. It won't matter how much money you have saved up. That is all moot if you don't have a job.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Max rent is $400? Don't move to Portland, move to Spokane if you are looking for rent that low.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Out of curiosity I ran a quick Craigslist search for rooms/shared for $400 or less. There were a few results, but not much at all. At your price point, Portland is not for you. It really isn't. People have trouble finding rentals for $1500/mo so you can imagine the trouble with $400. Spokane was a great suggestion.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I think the OP should be aware that what people are telling him also applies to outside of Portland about which he was asking as well. The farther out he would go, the less chance there would be of available public transportation to get him to work. His only hope would be to find several roommates where his share of the rent would be $400 but then there would be his share of utilities, food etc. to pay.

The Portland area just does not seem realistic on someone with that small a budget.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
The median price for a 1 bedroom apartment in Portland just hit $1400 and that is spreading all the way across to Vancouver and beyond.

$400 would be tough even in a less desirable place like where I used to live in Dayton, OH.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Maybe Tacoma would be a better option and a decent commute to Seattle, which has a much better economy than Portland metro.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Maybe Tacoma would be a better option and a decent commute to Seattle, which has a much better economy than Portland metro.
I don't even know how realistic Tacoma would be these days, especially when one adds in the cost of commuting to Seattle. Plus the amount of time spent on that commute, it would be better to live and work in Tacoma.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I don't even know how realistic Tacoma would be these days, especially when one adds in the cost of commuting to Seattle. Plus the amount of time spent on that commute, it would be better to live and work in Tacoma.
I always think of Tacoma of being limited in terms of work but maybe things are better than I thought.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I always think of Tacoma of being limited in terms of work but maybe things are better than I thought.
Tacoma in its own right is a large blue collar city, with lots of jobs within it. It isn't as high tech as its neighbors to the north, nor is it as political as the capital to the south, but it definitely is the job center of Pierce County. I personally have a soft spot for Tacoma since I am basically from there with a lot of family still living in Tacoma and Pierce County. Tacoma once was a pretty rough city will little going on in it, but has really turned itself around over the years and made itself into an alternative to those wanting to live in the Puget Sound, but can't afford to live in Seattle or Bellevue.

But with that said, it is still a bit pricey there, though I don't think it is as bad as it is here, nor is it anywhere near as bad as it is in Seattle. Though I think Spokane is really still within that affordable range where you can live alone for under $600 a month in a one bedroom, and still be able to find a small older house to buy for under $200K. Spokane has always been the city I could see becoming the next Portland in the sense that it is a good place for young people to go to, that is affordable, and has the structure of a city to make it a really fun place to live. I just don't think it is fully there yet, but I have friends that live there now that seem to really love it, and I can see the city improving year after year when I head up there to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland