Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,346 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

As the title states, we are a family of (5) moving to the Portland suburbs in June 2017. My company has opened up a branch in North Portland (right next to University of Portland / Arbor Lodge area) and I'm going to be moving up in the springtime of 2017. Even though our branch is up in Northern Portland, I'm a Project Manager so I'm on-site for projects a lot so location close to the office isn't a top priority considering I'll only be going into the office a couple days and a week.

Yes, we are from the Bay Area and I know everyone in Portland hates all our guts right now because we are increasing the rent/mortgage prices. I'm sorry but the same thing is happening here in the Bay Area (only worse). We are currently living in a really nice small to mid-sized community with excellent schools and a strong sense of community. However, we are living with three small kids in a 1200sq ft two-bedroom apartment paying +$2K. They are increasing our rent on a yearly basis (not small increases either, last increase was $500/mo) so when this work opportunity in Portland came about, we jumped on it.

We are currently looking for a moderate sized 4bed/2bath in a suburb with a decent commute to the Downtown area. Obviously, we have three small children so schools are our #1 priority. Not only that, but our children are also in dual immersion programs (teachers speak in spanish only so English speaking kids learn spanish). We would like to continue them in this program if we can find a neighborhood that we love that offers it.

We're currently looking in Beaverton, Cedar Mills, Bethany and other communities located along that highway 26 corridor. We would love a home in a neighborhood that has a strong sense community and great for raising families with activities such as farmers markets, weekend movies in the park, things like that.

We just wanted to post this to gauge people's thoughts on areas where we should focus our search on and also if there are any areas we should avoid.

P.S. (**little background info**) we're not your "typical Caholes", we love the outdoors, biking, food, beer, motorcycles, hiking and the wintertime. We're very liberal for the most part and would prefer a laid-back, fun atmosphere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,946 times
Sherwood is a great community for families. Welcome, from another Bay Area transplant. You won't be hated, so RELAX.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Sherwood is a great community for families. Welcome, from another Bay Area transplant. You won't be hated, so RELAX.
Thanks gray horse! We are also going to look in the Sherwood area and Tigard and Lake Oswego area. Sherwood is about as far away from Downtown that we'd want to be but if the schools and community are worth it then we're game.

We're visiting in mid November for a few days to drive around all these neighborhoods.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Actually PPS Spanish immersion programs usually need students at the 2nd grade + because we have few native speakers and there is normal attrition. My grandchildren are enrolled at Ainsworth so you may be able to enroll your children there even if you are not in the enrollment area.

Housing in the Ainsworth enrollment area is pricey, not quite SV levels but high for us. There are practical reasons for living on the same side of the Willamette as you work but the same rule could apply for schooling. Look just south of the Ainsworth enrollment area, less expensive.

The other PPS Spanish immersion program that I am aware of is at Bridger which has a significant (for us) number of families whose parents speak Spanish. I have a relative who teaches there and she does so out of commitment to the Hispanic community. She taught in the primary grades in Mexico and was a language major in one of Mexico's top universities. The Bridger enrollment area is somewhat working class but not by any means a ghetto.

I suggest you or your wife call PPS to ask about Spanish immersion programs that you could utilize then visit the schools.

A child's social life is built around their classmates. The logistics of attending school programs, sports and Scouting activities may be more important than your commute to work.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,595 times
I am a CA native, San Franciscan, but moved to Portland from NYC. My family moved from Inner NE Portland to Beaverton last year and have been very happy with the decision. There are many neighborhoods out here I would suggest such as Cedar Hills, Murray Hill, Sexton Mountain, Cooper Mountain, South Beaverton to name a few. I wouldn't recommend Bethany because the schools it feeds into are great but overcrowded. You would maybe like Lake Oswego or West Linn. Portland has really great communities but the schools are struggling except for the schools with foundations. I enjoy being in Beaverton and not spending my free time fundraising for the school foundation which pays for the PE and band teachers. There are a few Spanish Immersion schools in Portland and go to PPS website to investigate any school in the district. Spanish Immersion is a focus option school so usually is lottery based.

As for being a Californian... well, I have felt the hatred by some but often from transplants from other states. If a native Oregonian has an issue it will usually not be outward aggression toward you. Since I lived in NYC for a long time, I seem like an East coaster to many out here and will be hated for being a dreaded NYer, not a dreaded Californian.�� I take it in stride and don't worry about it much. My kids are growing up here and are thriving! The rain builds character.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Actually PPS Spanish immersion programs usually need students at the 2nd grade + because we have few native speakers and there is normal attrition. My grandchildren are enrolled at Ainsworth so you may be able to enroll your children there even if you are not in the enrollment area.

Housing in the Ainsworth enrollment area is pricey, not quite SV levels but high for us. There are practical reasons for living on the same side of the Willamette as you work but the same rule could apply for schooling. Look just south of the Ainsworth enrollment area, less expensive.

The other PPS Spanish immersion program that I am aware of is at Bridger which has a significant (for us) number of families whose parents speak Spanish. I have a relative who teaches there and she does so out of commitment to the Hispanic community. She taught in the primary grades in Mexico and was a language major in one of Mexico's top universities. The Bridger enrollment area is somewhat working class but not by any means a ghetto.

I suggest you or your wife call PPS to ask about Spanish immersion programs that you could utilize then visit the schools.

A child's social life is built around their classmates. The logistics of attending school programs, sports and Scouting activities may be more important than your commute to work.
Thank you for the great info. We've heard good things about Ainsworth and we like the area around the school so we'll definitely check that one out.

Our oldest will be starting 4th grade next year when we move and he'll be coming from being in a Spanish program since he was in Kindergarten. We're hoping we'd be able to be somewhat "grandfathered" in because we have the same lottery based selection process here in the Bay Area. Our second oldest will be starting 1st grade so it sounds like he might have one year of English before going back into Spanish (Bay Area starts in kindergarten, Portland schools seem to start in 2nd grade).

As sad as it is to say, unfortunately, my wife and I are terrible at Spanish so going to Bridger doesn't sound like the best fit for us.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM

There isn't a difference in the Bridger and Ainsworth Spanish programs, just a difference in income levels. Our Spanish immersion programs start in Kindergarden as well.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsmosis View Post
Thank you for the great info. We've heard good things about Ainsworth and we like the area around the school so we'll definitely check that one out.

Our oldest will be starting 4th grade next year when we move and he'll be coming from being in a Spanish program since he was in Kindergarten. We're hoping we'd be able to be somewhat "grandfathered" in because we have the same lottery based selection process here in the Bay Area. Our second oldest will be starting 1st grade so it sounds like he might have one year of English before going back into Spanish (Bay Area starts in kindergarten, Portland schools seem to start in 2nd grade).

As sad as it is to say, unfortunately, my wife and I are terrible at Spanish so going to Bridger doesn't sound like the best fit for us.
The lottery programs tend to be pretty strict. I have never heard of transplants getting priority based on previous placement in an out-of-state district. This is the kind of thing that would **** off locals and residents who have been trying to get into any kind of focus option but especially Foreign language immersion. Sibling preference is the only preference I am aware of. Your best bet is to find a neighborhood where you like the neighborhood school and put your child's name in the lottery when you get the chance. In Beaverton the deadline is in January, I believe, and you need a Beaverton address with proof.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:41 PM

That is why I recommended contacting PPS. There is a lottery for entering an immersion program at the Kindergarten level (which is where the program starts). By the time the students enter the 3rd or 4th grade there may be space in those classes. I do know that students considered for entry at that level are tested for language (spoken and written) facility. The usual reason why vacancies occur is that parents are transferred out of the area.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Thanks Everyone for the great info! It sounds like will definitely have to be focusing our search in neighborhoods that have eligibility into a dual immersion program. That would be our best bet. However, it sounds like my fears were confirmed in that we're going to be putting our name in the hat very late in the game so to speak. The earliest we will have a local zip is going to be April 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland