Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,957 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to the Portland area from Boulder County Colorado. We are looking for the "sweet spot" towns that have cheaper real estate (2 to 3 BR homes still available for 220,000 and under) and look to be up and coming in a way. We would like to be no more than 50 miles from Portland and really like an outdoor, quiet lifestyle. If you are familiar with Boulder County, we used to live in the Longmont, Lafayette area and would be looking for similar communities. All suggestions very appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niwotguy View Post
We are looking for the "sweet spot" towns that have cheaper real estate (2 to 3 BR homes still available for 220,000 and under) and look to be up and coming in a way.
That certainly disqualifies anything in the Portland area. Portland is also not "up and coming", IMO. It is a post-climax city that is a victim of its own livability fame. Crowded, congested,and californicated, it no longer represents what is attractive about the Oregon lifestyle. Your housing budget would place you mostly in smaller towns in eastern or southern Oregon.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
That certainly disqualifies anything in the Portland area. Portland is also not "up and coming", IMO. It is a post-climax city that is a victim of its own livability fame. Crowded, congested,and californicated, it no longer represents what is attractive about the Oregon lifestyle. Your housing budget would place you mostly in smaller towns in eastern or southern Oregon.
Have to agree with Steve on this one. as well as some smaller coastal towns.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Default Yes there are still places in Portland for around 220K

You can still get a 2-3 bd home w/in 50 miles of Portland for 220K. You will not be living in the hottest neighborhoods but some of them are on the verge of up and coming. Here are some portland neighborhoods to look at
Arleta, Woodstock (might be hard to find something under 220K but look... I found one on the web today)... Woodstock is up and coming right now, Miwaukie, North Portland areas like St. Johns Kenton. I'm sure there are more. If you need the name of a real estate agent send me a PM. I have a good one.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:07 PM

24 posts, read 151,294 times
We're also looking for information about Portland neighborhoods. I was interested to hear someone say Milwaukie was an up and coming place. It looked reasonable to me initially, but I haven't been able to find out much positive info about it. Instead, we are now looking more closely at Sellwood and Eastmoreland in Southeast, and Multnomah Village and Hillsdale in Southwest. Do you have any opinions regarding friendliness, safety, best value for the money? I'd really appreciate hearing any input. Also, my son and daughter-in-law are considering attending Portland State for grad school and are considering living in the Goose Hollow area (I think that's what they said it was called...). Any input on the areas around the university?

Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,912 times
I think Hood River would be a great fit, but it might be a little too far from portland - it is about an hour drive. Hood River real estate is still relatively cheap (look all along the I-84 corridor from PDX east) but recently has jumped because Google is building a complex out there. Hood River is huge with windsurfers and you are close to Mt. Hood also.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_boy View Post
Any input on the areas around the university?
PSU is right downtown, not much housing around it. Goose Hollow is nice, but not cheap. The other areas you suggested are good, stay close in SE and you will be fine.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_boy View Post
We're also looking for information about Portland neighborhoods. I was interested to hear someone say Milwaukie was an up and coming place. It looked reasonable to me initially, but I haven't been able to find out much positive info about it. Instead, we are now looking more closely at Sellwood and Eastmoreland in Southeast, and Multnomah Village and Hillsdale in Southwest. Do you have any opinions regarding friendliness, safety, best value for the money? I'd really appreciate hearing any input. Also, my son and daughter-in-law are considering attending Portland State for grad school and are considering living in the Goose Hollow area (I think that's what they said it was called...). Any input on the areas around the university?
Milwaukie hasn't yet made the "up and coming" list. It will get there as people are priced out of Sellwood/Westmoreland/ Woodstock. I recommended it to the original poster because you can still find homes under 300K.

I live in Westmoreland which is often times mistaken for Sellwood because the 2 neighborhoods run together and are very similar in price, culture etc.
Safety: Westmoreland and Eastmoreland are very safe. I see women walking at night all the time. Sellwood for the most part is safe, but South of Tacoma is sketchy at night. Stay north of Tacoma.

Value: Westmoreland / Sellwood is your best bet. You can find nice homes in the 350K to 500K range. Eastmoreland starters are going to be about 575K and up. Eastmoreland lots are bigger usually 7500 sq feet vs 5000 sq feet. Westmoreland Sellwood is much more of a walking neighborhood than Eastmoreland. Westmoreland Sellwood you can walk to shops, grocery stores, banks, restaurants, parks, a refrib 1920s movie theater, coffee shops, library etc. There are many days that my kids and I never get in the car. We love that. Eastmoreland & Hillsdale you will be driving to places instead of walking. Westmoreland/ Sellwood feels like a small town in the middle of a metropolitian city. You will get to know your neighbors and shop owners.

Goose Hallow... I don't spend enough time there to access the safety. I know that during the day when I have parked there I have felt very safe.
Westmoreland/ Sellwood is right across the river from PSU (across the Ross Island Bridge and your at PSU), so this neigborhood is a good choice for them to.

Westmoreland Sellwood is still a nice mix of retired residents who have lived here for 40 + years, young families, established families, young singles, and young couples. We have something for everyone. Eastmoreland tends to be mostly families.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
ETB

2 posts, read 8,606 times
Default Within 50 miles?

That gives you quite a bit of latitude. It really depends on what you're looking for and what kind of people you like to live around. If you want a rural type of location, Western Washington County is pretty nice, as is Yamhill County. I don't know much about the east side, but if you want to be close to skiing you might check out Sandy. There's also Clark County, Washington, but I would stay away from that if you plan to work in Portland - the traffic across the Columbia River is hideous.

I've lived in a lot of places, including Seattle, the South, the Midwest, the Great Plains, and the Rocky Mountain west, and I think Oregon is quite nice. I've noticed a lot of negativity in some comments that surprises me. No place is perfect, but Portland is far nicer than many areas of the country.

How you deal with the rain is a personal matter. My wife and I love it and look forward to the rainy season after the long, dry summer. Some don't care for it at all.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 PM

180 posts, read 583,490 times
My house was appraised at 220K and it is the Creston Neighborhood. There are still houses around that price range you may have to look harder but they are there. check [url] for house prices

Places that are up and coming include the Lents neighborhood, Kenton, St. Johns.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2006 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: mls link removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland