Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Thanks, Yankeemama.... I did get halfway from LA to Oregon - been living in SF for many years. I've made several quick exploratory visits, and am pretty sure that Corvallis is where I'd like to make my new home. But I'm ready to hear the case for Eugene or Salem, perhaps even for a smaller city (I put up a CD post today asking for thoughts about Independence/Monmouth). My plan is to rent an apartment while househunting. Then my sister would move up too and we'd share the house (she's widowed, I'm single, so we decided we'll live under one roof). My #1 priority is access to nature, which of course looks to be easy from anywhere in the Willamette Valley. Sister likes to sing in a classical chorale, so we'll probably need one of the larger Valley cities for that.

Ideas & suggestions appreciated!
Corvallis is really nice and about a 45 minute drive to Salem but also an hour from Newport. I would consider Eugene but that's me. Corvallis always has the university there so enough going on activity wise. Many of thee posters on here are familiar with Eugene and it's a decent sized town/ city so hopefully you can get some useful feedback here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
OP if your sister likes to sing in classical chorale I would have to vote for Eugene over Corvallis.
Plus its a lovely town. Many activities and concerts in general, and I think you are still plenty close to nature - disclosure I haven't spent much time in Corvallis, but have friends in Eugene so I am biased!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:38 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Corvallis is going to cost you 50% more than Eugene or Salem. So you have to consider the housing costs. You can find nature and similar neighborhoods/mindsets in all cities. I lived in all 3 plus Portland. I'd say Salem has the best bang for your buck but it really depends on what is important to you. It also has the advantage of location and access to all the great parts of Oregon.

Anywhere from Victoria BC to San Diego is better than anywhere else in the world to live, JMHO.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandproud View Post
Exactly. You poison your air and your water! You just can't handle a sophisticated and intelligent culture and had to retreat back home.
Retreating back home for me would be to move to Portland, and if that ever happens it would be the worst day of my life.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Default that much more??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Corvallis is going to cost you 50% more than Eugene or Salem. So you have to consider the housing costs. You can find nature and similar neighborhoods/mindsets in all cities. I lived in all 3 plus Portland. I'd say Salem has the best bang for your buck but it really depends on what is important to you. It also has the advantage of location and access to all the great parts of Oregon.

Anywhere from Victoria BC to San Diego is better than anywhere else in the world to live, JMHO.

Fifty percent? I saw houses in Corvallis in the low 300s... does that mean I could find comparable houses in Eugene or Salem for slightly over 200? This I have to see...

And does that 50% apply to apartment rents too?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM
DKM

Quote:

Fifty percent? I saw houses in Corvallis in the low 300s... does that mean I could find comparable houses in Eugene or Salem for slightly over 200? This I have to see...

And does that 50% apply to apartment rents too?
House prices yes. I'm less certain about Eugene, maybe not 50% but a big difference. Rents I don't know. A lot of it has to do with supply and demand. Corvallis has allowed very little land to be developed into new homes since the late 90's. Some, but little compared to Salem and Eugene. West Albany has absorbed a lot of demand in that regard. Its a great place for some people though and I enjoyed my years there, but would not have enjoyed it past 25.

I saw you mentioned Independence and Monmouth. They are even cheaper. Monmouth has some decent culture. If you are looking for new, they have some nice area called Edwards addition. Salem too, Fairview Addition. A bit of a progressive vibe in those if that's what you're after.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Default gracias

Thanks DKM, Yankeemama, and CAjerseychick... very valuable advice! I will indeed check out Salem and Eugene in upcoming visits.
And... isn't it odd that this thread was started by someone who wanted to bash Oregon?!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM
DKM

I took the OP's comment as satire as its not true (except maybe for retirees). I didn't move to California because I hate Oregon... Anyway his/her comment was akin to someone saying Salem is for people who cannot afford Portland (I may have even said that myself long ago). Its just not true but its easy to see why its said when one area costs a lot more to live in.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
And... isn't it odd that this thread was started by someone who wanted to bash Oregon?!
The OP is now "Not a member", so I think we should all feel good that this thread has been repurposed and turned positive. We've all seen the threads go in the opposite direction--they start out positive and end up getting closed because of squabbling and trollish behavior.

NW4me, I think your plan of moving here and renting is a good one. Monmouth/Independence are fine locations, albeit very quiet. So if you're looking for nightlife and hubbub, those aren't going to be the places. But they will make a fine base out of which to operate while you look for the right location for you, and maybe it will end up being one of those towns.

I lived in Corvallis for 10 years and left about 10 years ago. Nice town, comparatively high property values. It's probably not a bad place in which to invest because of the university. It's still a place that you can literally ride your bike across town in 20 minutes. You could also look at neighboring Philomath, but I understand property there is getting more expensive as well.

For lower property costs and a more blue collar vibe, Albany is not a bad choice. It's kind of smack dab in the middle of the valley, so a little further away from the Coast Range and the coast, but a little closer to the Cascades for outdoor activities. Lots of people bag on Albany and I do think you have to choose your neighborhood very carefully there, but it could be workable. Same could be said for Lebanon which is up against the Cascade foothills just SE of Albany.

As you approach the Portland metro area the housing costs get more expensive, but McMinnville might be another option for you. Newberg is closer to Portland but still outside of the UGB. Moving north on Hwy 99W, once you hit Sherwood you are officially in the UGB where prices are generally higher and lots are generally smaller.

Eugene/Springfield has some appeal as well. Bottom line is that you'll have to explore each city/town once you get here to get an on-the-ground feel for it. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 PM

628 posts, read 819,287 times
Why hasn't this thread been closed yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland