Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 31,390 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Portland area within the next couple of months. We started looking for jobs when we put our house on the market and thought we would have some time. Our house sold in 3 weeks and now we have 5 weeks until we need to be out. Therefore we are in a crunch to find a job, especially from a distance. My husband makes 52k and works in the accounting/finance/auditing field and I make 42k working in administration. We are hoping to make at least this in the Portland area. We are debating what we need to do since we need to be out of our house in 5 weeks.

If we were to move there without a job what is the realistic chance we will find one relatively soon after getting there?

We see jobs to apply for, but what is the competition like for jobs in this area?

We were thinking that it might be easier having a local address and being in the area versus living states away (we live in CO right now). Please, any information you can provide us on the job market would be great because we don't have much time to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
My best advice to you would be to look at similar posts to yours and then decide. Your skills will probably not get you what you are earning now (your spouse's too). The competition for jobs is fierce. If you move here without jobs, make certain you have plenty of money to live on while you are doing your job searches.

I am not saying it is impossible but it will more than likely not come easy either.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM

We would also be willing to work lower paying jobs until we can find long-term stable jobs. While we would definitely feel more comfortable waiting until we have a job lined up, I have read on many posts that having an out of state address will discount you from even getting a call.

Does anyone have advise from moving to Portland and how long it took to land a good job or get one from a distance?

Old 04-27-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There are some $89 fares DEN > PDX on SWA, line up some interviews and take a trip out. (use "priceline" for ~$16 rental cars)

If you are w/o kids it would be easier, but ... I would evaluate your finances. If you have enough to live on for 6 - 10 months, and were planning to move anyway, I'd pull the plug and save moving twice + getting stuck in a COLO lease.

Unfortunately jobs are not easy to get anywhere at the moment, and with the influx of the college grads this is a tough time of yr to change. You will have to consider how long you have been at your current jobs, and if you could afford to 'start-over' in your current position (that is probably the wage you will get starting here). If you have no 'contacts' / connections for jobs in PDX, then you are looking at 2 months just to get through the hiring process, ONCE you find a position, just be prepared. (financially and emotionally). The job replacement 'rule-of-thumb' is... one month search for every $10,000 annual salary, I'd add 50-100% to that number in a down economy. Portland area is pretty diversified and you can use a big perimeter for the hunt (Hillsboro / Newburg / Canby / Sandy / Washougal, WA / Battleground / Woodland, WA / St. Helens, OR) I'd look both sides of the River (WA & OR) + all ends of Portland metro to determine your best fit. Be conscious of the commute if you value your time, and travel the routes during commute hours BEFORE selecting your location for abode.

The summers are very nice here; free concerts in the parks, enjoyable places to hike and walk, + LONG evenings. You DON'T want to come just for winter, unless you are into gray, wet, and chilly. I did my move from Colo to Portland area in late Oct. (1982). It was a long winter, having come from Colo where you cruise around in your shirt sleeves during sunny but crisp winters. (Hint... get a place with lots of southern windows, and not hidden in the trees.)

See if you can make some connections to get a 'temporary' place to stay (on both ends) while you get settled, or maybe keep the BEST job in Colo to fund your move / transition, and send the other spouse on the 'job / house' quest.

One moving mistake I did make which I WILL NOT do again, is move myself in a Uhaul truck WITHOUT a place rented at destination, thus not place to put 'stuff'. Stress of finding a suitable place and getting unloaded in a couple days was not fun. Don't move too much "Stuff", that would be a good start... If kids are coming, the formula changes... schools, sports, daycare ... Maybe they could spend the summer at Grandma's... I did that from age 8-15, it was a great experience. The day school was out, I jumped on the train, and returned the day before school started. It was a farm, so lots of variety (and potential boredom for those who can't keep themselves busy and productive). Life's lessons are good, enjoy the one you are entering.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-27-2008 at 01:26 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevawnaeco View Post
My family and I are moving to the Portland area within the next couple of months. We started looking for jobs when we put our house on the market and thought we would have some time. Our house sold in 3 weeks and now we have 5 weeks until we need to be out. Therefore we are in a crunch to find a job, especially from a distance. My husband makes 52k and works in the accounting/finance/auditing field and I make 42k working in administration. We are hoping to make at least this in the Portland area. We are debating what we need to do since we need to be out of our house in 5 weeks.

If we were to move there without a job what is the realistic chance we will find one relatively soon after getting there?

We see jobs to apply for, but what is the competition like for jobs in this area?

We were thinking that it might be easier having a local address and being in the area versus living states away (we live in CO right now). Please, any information you can provide us on the job market would be great because we don't have much time to make a decision.
You are definitely NOT going to make 42k in admin in Portland, OR.

Just a hint of what you are up against:

Portland is flush with college students and graduates, and from what I hear, a lot of older workers get "pushed out" in favor of younger, cheaper help. This happens pretty frequently, from what I hear. As a result, wages are ridiculously low because turnover (whether by layoff or discrimination, legal or illegal) is so high.

There are still accounting positions out there, but it helps to be well connected.

Seattle has a much better job market than Portland, but even it is feeling some of the heat from the current economy.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Contact temporary services, some specialize in accounting. In many ways that is the best 'try before you buy' approach. Each employer has a corporate culture, that is the best way to determine if there really is a 'fit'.

My daughter-in-law wanted to work for NIKE. They just couldn't get past the fact that her degree was in maritime transportation. When she wasn't sailing she signed up with the temp service that NIKE contracts with and told them that she would only accept assignments with that firm. It worked, they loved her (if she can handle old salts, she can handle their managers). She progressed from admin to marketing manager assigned to their biggest customer.

Not everyone can do that, but the technique is valid. Just don't work lousy assignments long.

I agree with another poster, move with as little 'stuff' as you can. It is expensive to store and can easily be replaced via Craig's list.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
One has to be very creative to find jobs here. Be prepared to take a lot less than what you are earning in another city. I worked in the insurance industry for 30 years. I quit my last job of 12 years and found that even with all my experience, I would have to start over at entry level salaries even though they were happy to be able to use my expertise and let me sail through the training programs.

If one is determined, jobs can be had but sacrifices may have to be made.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
There are some $89 fares DEN > PDX on SWA, line up some interviews and take a trip out. (use "priceline" for ~$16 rental cars)

If you are w/o kids it would be easier, but ... I would evaluate your finances. If you have enough to live on for 6 - 10 months, and were planning to move anyway, I'd pull the plug and save moving twice + getting stuck in a COLO lease.

Unfortunately jobs are not easy to get anywhere at the moment, and with the influx of the college grads this is a tough time of yr to change. You will have to consider how long you have been at your current jobs, and if you could afford to 'start-over' in your current position (that is probably the wage you will get starting here). If you have no 'contacts' / connections for jobs in PDX, then you are looking at 2 months just to get through the hiring process, ONCE you find a position, just be prepared. (financially and emotionally). The job replacement 'rule-of-thumb' is... one month search for every $10,000 annual salary, I'd add 50-100% to that number in a down economy. Portland area is pretty diversified and you can use a big perimeter for the hunt (Hillsboro / Newburg / Canby / Sandy / Washougal, WA / Battleground / Woodland, WA / St. Helens, OR) I'd look both sides of the River (WA & OR) + all ends of Portland metro to determine your best fit. Be conscious of the commute if you value your time, and travel the routes during commute hours BEFORE selecting your location for abode.

The summers are very nice here; free concerts in the parks, enjoyable places to hike and walk, + LONG evenings. You DON'T want to come just for winter, unless you are into gray, wet, and chilly. I did my move from Colo to Portland area in late Oct. (1982). It was a long winter, having come from Colo where you cruise around in your shirt sleeves during sunny but crisp winters. (Hint... get a place with lots of southern windows, and not hidden in the trees.)

See if you can make some connections to get a 'temporary' place to stay (on both ends) while you get settled, or maybe keep the BEST job in Colo to fund your move / transition, and send the other spouse on the 'job / house' quest.

One moving mistake I did make which I WILL NOT do again, is move myself in a Uhaul truck WITHOUT a place rented at destination, thus not place to put 'stuff'. Stress of finding a suitable place and getting unloaded in a couple days was not fun. Don't move too much "Stuff", that would be a good start... If kids are coming, the formula changes... schools, sports, daycare ... Maybe they could spend the summer at Grandma's... I did that from age 8-15, it was a great experience. The day school was out, I jumped on the train, and returned the day before school started. It was a farm, so lots of variety (and potential boredom for those who can't keep themselves busy and productive). Life's lessons are good, enjoy the one you are entering.

Over the weekend we found a company where we could get a local address and have our mail scanned/forwarded and also a company where we could get a local phone number that forwards to our phones. you are correct that it is very tough to get a job anywhere right now.

one thing I forgot to mention before is both my husband and I both have Master's degrees (he in Organization Management with accounting background and myself in Business Administration with executive administrative experience in the educational setting). no matter what we do i think it is going to be tough financially. We have gotten rid of a lot of our stuff, so hopefully that helps, and we do have 2 kids. Thanks for the advice. We are certainly anxious to get through this process.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Contact temporary services, some specialize in accounting. In many ways that is the best 'try before you buy' approach. Each employer has a corporate culture, that is the best way to determine if there really is a 'fit'.

My daughter-in-law wanted to work for NIKE. They just couldn't get past the fact that her degree was in maritime transportation. When she wasn't sailing she signed up with the temp service that NIKE contracts with and told them that she would only accept assignments with that firm. It worked, they loved her (if she can handle old salts, she can handle their managers). She progressed from admin to marketing manager assigned to their biggest customer.

Not everyone can do that, but the technique is valid. Just don't work lousy assignments long.

I agree with another poster, move with as little 'stuff' as you can. It is expensive to store and can easily be replaced via Craig's list.

What temp agency does Nike work for? Does anyone have any information on who the different temp agencies work with? That is great your daughter got in at Nike!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,436 times
For your admin skills, there is a possibility of making $40k+; your experience will count more than the Master's, though. Boly Welch is a great admin agency and would be who I'd call first. Be prepared to take a temp-to-hire position at much less than $40k as a test run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland