Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:27 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm from Texas. Once I witnessed with my own eyes what cops in a medium sized conservative Texas town did to unwanted homeless. I was working at Wal-Mart at the time and had been the one to call the police on a homeless shoplifter. Later I regretted it. I was there when the cop threatened to assault or possibly murder this homeless man unless he left town within 24 hours. The cop said his bus ticket would be comped. If the homeless man did not leave, the communication was very clear that something bad would happen to him, and no one in town would care, that no judge or jury in the area would give a crap about a dead homeless person.
What do the Texas police do with the bodies of the homeless after they murder them? Do they try to notify the next of kin, or do they just bury them in an unmarked grave?

Old 02-04-2021, 10:47 PM

148 posts, read 114,358 times
Here are some interesting links from the City of Portland:

https://www.portland.gov/police/divi...munity-liaison

https://www.portland.gov/policies/ho...s-portland-and

https://www.portland.gov/wheeler/new...eless-services

I was searching for a comprehensive five year plan, but did not see one (which doesn’t mean there isn’t one). I did see a statement that one reason the problem is so vast, is that the homeless individuals in Portland today aren’t going to be the same individuals you see tomorrow.

Homeless people can have a hard time applying for help. They often don’t have ID’s or Social Security cards, or the means to get the documents required to get those. They have problems making and keeping appointments due to lack of transportation. They might not have a watch or a phone. Poor hygiene from sleeping on the streets can be another problem when seeking help. They often don’t have an reliable place to receive mail, such as they would get during the process of applying for disability. Sometimes they already receive disability, but they aren’t receiving their checks because they are either “address unknown” or they have a payee receiving it for them who doesn’t know where they are (and hasn’t reported it to the payer).

Even so, government benefits don’t go far in expensive cities.

I sympathize with the people of Portland and with the people on the street and those that are trying to help them.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:49 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
What do the Texas police do with the bodies of the homeless after they murder them? Do they try to notify the next of kin, or do they just bury them in an unmarked grave?
It was probably just a threat, but it had the desired effect of making the guy leave. I never saw him again.

If he had defied the cop I suspect the homeless man would have found himself beat up pretty bad, but not dead. For a homeless person the injuries might well mean death eventually, so he'd have died on the vine and then the county would have taken care of it the way they take care of any indigent death.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:43 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z4 View Post
Other cities/states buy bus tickets for their homeless to send them to Portland.

Oregon has heavily restrictive land use policies and development fees, and has for decades. Which accounts for some of the housing issues.

Drugs are legal in Oregon now. People who want to do drugs will come to Oregon.

Natural Selection, like the Nazis would want.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
We are in 100% agreement. Portland could solve it's homeless crisis in a matter of moths if it has the will and consistency of purpose. The 9th Circuit actually provided the roadmap. All I was doing was explaining WHY the police can't simply roust people for sleeping in public parks anymore. That is simply cruel and inhuman if there literally aren't alternatives. All the city has to do is make the alternatives. They don't even have to be 4-star alternatives. They can simply be Haiti Post earthquake emergency housing type alternatives or Sudanese UN refugee housing and they would better than the cesspools that we see along side our highways.

The cause of this is the liberal politics of this city being unable to get a damn thing done about it. And I say that as a liberal.

I'm quite far left and let me tell u, I dont want to live in this state. I dont think a lot of it is too liberal TBH besides a few pockets. U cant find even sex shops outside of Portland like on the west side. Its sooo conservative, feels more oppressive than the south and going into Portland is a PITA, even if one could consider me ANTIFA unmasked. I dont even go into town and I am moving to the south soon.. Good riddance. Portland/west side will be in the rear view mirror SOON. And as an MtF trans person, I bring this news. I hate this place.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:27 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

The police are not murdering the homeless. There are no bodies to dispose on. They are merely encouraging the homeless to move it right along to Portland, where they will be welcomed, fed, allowed to sleep and poop on the sidewalks, and use all the drugs that they can figure out how to purchase or steal with no consequences.

If you are going to be homeless, you can be homeless anywhere, so it's smarter to be homeless where you are welcome and cared for.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:40 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The police are not murdering the homeless. There are no bodies to dispose on. They are merely encouraging the homeless to move it right along to Portland, where they will be welcomed, fed, allowed to sleep and poop on the sidewalks, and use all the drugs that they can figure out how to purchase or steal with no consequences.

If you are going to be homeless, you can be homeless anywhere, so it's smarter to be homeless where you are welcome and cared for.
Like jail?

They could be cared for in jail, but that would actually be more expensive to the tune of 30-40k per person per year.

For 20 billion a year, we could incarcerate every single homeless person.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:21 AM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCoffee View Post
We moved to Hillsboro last year, but starting coming to Portland 5 years ago when our son moved here. We would see a few homeless camps along side the freeway back then. But now, it’s horrible and no businesses are going to want to come here. A friend visited recently for the first time. I kept bragging about how beautiful Portland was and it was an embarrassment. Abandoned homeless camps, couches, overturned cars. I’m baffled.....what do the mayor and city officials have planned? They have to live among all this too. I always thought Portland was known to be such a beautiful city......SIGH I don’t expect perfection or homeless to leave, but this has gone way beyond that. Anyone know if the city has plans for a major clean up? I’d be the first to volunteer!!!
I agree it is quite DISGUSTING and something has to be done. I am in no way blaming the actual people. it's a majorly broken system that needs fixed soon. Imagine being out there tonight when its cold and snowy

Didn't we just vote on some kind of tax? (maybe) and proceeds were to help the homeless? Sorry my brain is so foggy and it's late.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:24 AM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Dignity Village (since 2000),
https://dignityvillage.org/ (Becoming 'self managed' Dignity Village excluded a lot of own (NIMBY). Certainly for good reason in some cases. (violence and lack of desire to participate in the community)

Really good programs from NGO's (Such as Portland Rescue Mission, transitional programs, work training, family shelters with social, medical, psychologic resources.)

It's not working yet...
We need more programs and as some others have said more alternate places (shelters of some kind.

Is there some kind of thing like that on the east bank first exit of I-84 It looks like tiny tiny homes and it is fenced in?

Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
I agree it is quite DISGUSTING and something has to be done. I am in no way blaming the actual people. it's a majorly broken system that needs fixed soon. Imagine being out there tonight when its cold and snowy

Didn't we just vote on some kind of tax? (maybe) and proceeds were to help the homeless? Sorry my brain is so foggy and it's late.
THIS - This is a major part of the problem. No longer are people who CAUSE problems blamed for the problems they cause. If there was stigma on West coast towards the people MAKING DECISION to be homeless and be a scourge on public, there would be fewer homeless. No amount of $ will change that reality.

I guarantee that the ridiculous homeless tax poster referenced and burdening the Portland population this year will do only three things:
1. Create a NVA bureaucracy of gov't funded administrators whose main role will be to keep and grow the govt' funded machine created.
2. INCREASE in folks on street who choose to do so because of government largess coming their way. For every person "helped" 2 more will show up.
3. Continued exit of productive taxpayers leaving Portland and taking their business and wealth with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland