Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,968 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating soon to Portland to work at Adidas which is close to I-5 in North Portland, just over the Willamette River. My job is going to be in-person probably 3-4 days per week and remote 1-2 days per week, so commute is important to me. I have kids so I am interested in learning more about Lake Oswego which seems to have really good schools. Currently on Google Maps, the commute from LO to North Portland seems to be 20-22 minutes even during rush hour each way (assuming we get a house close to I-5 which there seem to be a lot of within our budget) but I realize that we are still in the midst of COVID-19 with a lot of remote workers.

What was the commute from LO to Portland like on I-5 prior to COVID-19? I would ideally like my commute to be around 20-25 minutes max, and i don't want to buy a house in LO only for the commute to shoot to 35-40 minutes once COVID-19 finally ends and people get back to in-person work. We could also live on the US-43 side of LO and I could take the 43 up and switch over to I-5 closer to the city. That side of LO seems to have more to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
20-22 minutes? In your fondest dream. Figure at least 30 minutes even during light traffic.

I-5, Swan Island Exit, turn north on Greeley and find a place to park. From LO I would estimate at least 40 minutes.

Make sure your work group isn't in Montgomery Park in NW Portland.

IF you can find an affordable home in the Lincoln High School enrollment area you will have a shorter commute and just as good schools. Consider Chapman and Ainsworth grade schools, not Skyline (commute). I live in Kings Heights (all be it in an expensive neighborhood) in the Ainsworth area and can make it in 15 minutes.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:41 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
20-22 minutes? In your fondest dream. Figure at least 30 minutes even during light traffic.

I-5, Swan Island Exit, turn north on Greeley and find a place to park. From LO I would estimate at least 40 minutes.

Make sure your unit isn't in Montgomery Park in NW Portland.

IF you can find an affordable home in the Lincoln High School enrollment area you will have a shorter commute and just as good schools. Consider Chapman and Ainsworth grade schools.
I echo this completely. If you can afford Lake Oswego, then you can afford the West Hills, which feed into highly rated schools (interesting how wealth and school quality are so closely related. It seems to matter much more how wealthy a community is rather than what school district it is in.)

Lake Oswego to Adidas would easily exceed 40 minutes during the pre-covid rush hour. It would depend on if you live on the east side of Lake Oswego, where you would take OR 43 north into town, or the west side, where you'd take I-5.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:58 PM

The reason why they are correlated is that the parents have similar profiles... they are anal-retentive when it comes to their kid's education.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:00 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
People do it, but I wouldn't want to do the Terwilliger Curves on I-5 2-5 days per week round trip. You'd likely get caught behind (or in) a wreck frequently. Getting across town on Hwy 43 from east L.O. would be your other option, and then pickup I-5 north of the curves. Still, lots of traffic and lots of choke points. I'd suggest, like others, the West Hills neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I echo this completely. If you can afford Lake Oswego, then you can afford the West Hills, which feed into highly rated schools (interesting how wealth and school quality are so closely related. It seems to matter much more how wealthy a community is rather than what school district it is in.)

Lake Oswego to Adidas would easily exceed 40 minutes during the pre-covid rush hour. It would depend on if you live on the east side of Lake Oswego, where you would take OR 43 north into town, or the west side, where you'd take I-5.
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it would depend on if I live near I5 or 43? Right now both sides seem to take the same amount of time to get to Adidas, but during pre COVID was one side a faster commute? We have been to the West Hills a bit but generally found them to be less walkable due to the ups and downs of the hills. Our kids like to ride bikes outside which seemed harder in the hills. We may also look on the East side where it seems flatter but the schools don’t seem as good.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:20 PM

A large part of NW is flat. I grew up in the 'flats' and raised my family on the hill, Chapman Grade School, all successful adults.

The freeway is often subject to congestion. I have never attempted that commute so others should comment.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:54 PM

If you are looking on the east side consider the Alameda neighborhood, not far from Grant High School.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:05 AM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettersmith12 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it would depend on if I live near I5 or 43? Right now both sides seem to take the same amount of time to get to Adidas, but during pre COVID was one side a faster commute? We have been to the West Hills a bit but generally found them to be less walkable due to the ups and downs of the hills. Our kids like to ride bikes outside which seemed harder in the hills. We may also look on the East side where it seems flatter but the schools don’t seem as good.
I should say that I have no experience with that particular commute. My guess though is that, pre-covid, I-5 had the potential to be completely clogged, with 0-15 mph stop and go traffic for miles. 43 likely was busy, but not completely clogged. Also, you'd have a natural bail out point at the Sellwood Bridge where you could cut over to McLoughlin (99E) and make your way north from there if there were problems with Macadam (43).

Old 10-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Before you buy a home I suggest you rent in LO to see if the commute is tolerable. It wouldn't be for me but it might be OK for you.

I just looked on my favorite realtor website (JLScott) and am shocked to see few homes under $1M. Maybe look around Reed College, aka East Moreland. Homes in Mountian Park (a LO suburb) are less expensive but would involve that horrible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland