Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:57 AM

2,680 posts, read 3,877,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What are you FOR? Govt. is not owed anything. Check. So there will be more homeless coming then. How can it be otherwise? The next generation of fast food franchises will be completely automated. The next generation of box stores will have entirely self-service checkout. 1/3 of the current labor force which is some form of retail service will be redundant due to automation in less than 15 years. And there is no system in place to deal with that.

And there will not be, because of resistance from those that insist that "by the sweat of thy brow shall thou eat bread" and simultaneously insist that "government is not owed ill gotten gains from producers". That these ideologies are mutually exclusive doesn't faze anyone completely sold on the point of view. This thread is not the last gasp of the Progressive POV it is actually the death throes of the Conservative POV that insists that entire cities run on fairy dust and all social safety netting be maintained by churches and charities.
melodrama and poppycock. There would be much less homeless if gov't stopped building barriers to affordable housing. Flophouse rooms may not be great but for a few shillings, poor folks could easily get a roof over their heads even during the depression. Of course, power hungry politicians (mostly democrats) shut those options down by creating fake "do gooder" rules mandating condition and even worse later getting into the business of deciding how rooms are allocated, not by market -but by silly social justice crap.

Wake up - Gov't is the problem, not the solution!!

You ask what I am for? OK - common sense problem solving. Not political pandering and useless waste.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:09 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,779,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
melodrama and poppycock. There would be much less homeless if gov't stopped building barriers to affordable housing. Flophouse rooms may not be great but for a few shillings, poor folks could easily get a roof over their heads even during the depression. Of course, power hungry politicians (mostly democrats) shut those options down by creating fake "do gooder" rules mandating condition and even worse later getting into the business of deciding how rooms are allocated, not by market -but by silly social justice crap.

You ask what I am for? OK - common sense problem solving. Not political pandering and useless waste.
You definitely got YOUR act together, unlike so many others on here. But as usual they want to blame people for the problem, not the source (government). Just take a look at your mayor.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,960,127 times
The absence of government is anarchy. That ship has sailed. Like it or not, to get to where we are and not still be living in jungles or caves, we had to organize around administration. It is not possible to have 'just enough' government to pave the roads and teach the children, but then people are free to live tax free, and in all other ways, do whatever the hell they want regardless of whoever else that affects. Mature adults do not agitate for mutually exclusives.

I went to the supermarket yesterday and it was chaos. A major Kroger's store in North East Portland turning customers away because they just didn't have enough staff to keep the store properly open. This is what comes of a refusal of a critical mass of Americans to temporarily suspend their innate selfishness and follow governments lead.

How does it help America if so many of us die that it is no longer possible for us to defend the Republic? Keep the lights on. Keep the Economy solvent. I'll leave it there.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:05 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Taxes are the price we pay for civilization.

The real issue for people who hate taxes is that the money doesn't get spent properly. That's been going on for many, many decades. Not just lately with all the b.s. political rhetoric directed against certain groups in power. The problem is, we can't do anything about it. I think that's a reason why so many have taken to violent protests carrying guns and shouting abolish the government. I don't agree with it, but I understand why they're angry (about taxes specifically).

Old 02-15-2022, 01:16 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,877,650 times
Quote:
The absence of government is anarchy. That ship has sailed. Like it or not, to get to where we are and not still be living in jungles or caves, we had to organize around administration. It is not possible to have 'just enough' government to pave the roads and teach the children, but then people are free to live tax free, and in all other ways, do whatever the hell they want regardless of whoever else that affects. Mature adults do not agitate for mutually exclusives.

I went to the supermarket yesterday and it was chaos. A major Kroger's store in North East Portland turning customers away because they just didn't have enough staff to keep the store properly open. This is what comes of a refusal of a critical mass of Americans to temporarily suspend their innate selfishness and follow governments lead.

How does it help America if so many of us die that it is no longer possible for us to defend the Republic? Keep the lights on. Keep the Economy solvent. I'll leave it there.
Interesting commentary on your view of the chaos witnessed at a store.

The cause of the chaos is likely exactly the opposite of what you claim. Gov't overreach, bizarre edicts based on power (nothing else) and crazy incentives to weaken the benefit of the wage/work relationship are the main causes of what you witnessed.

To think that it's because free citizens rejected overreaching gov't is the cause for a store closure is not real.

Study the science. Power mongers (mostly on the Left) used COVID as excuse to unleash extreme illegal burdens on the population. The actions had almost no affect on how COVID ran it's course. When combined with all the fake news from MSM and CDC, we have a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:45 PM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Quote:
Interesting commentary on your view of the chaos witnessed at a store.

The cause of the chaos is likely exactly the opposite of what you claim. Gov't overreach, bizarre edicts based on power (nothing else) and crazy incentives to weaken the benefit of the wage/work relationship are the main causes of what you witnessed.

To think that it's because free citizens rejected overreaching gov't is the cause for a store closure is not real.

Study the science. Power mongers (mostly on the Left) used COVID as excuse to unleash extreme illegal burdens on the population. The actions had almost no affect on how COVID ran it's course. When combined with all the fake news from MSM and CDC, we have a recipe for disaster.
I have yet to see where the burdens placed on the population were "illegal." Perhaps unconscionable, but not illegal.

I hope you're including ALL MSM in your analysis, not just the "liberal" media (CNN, MSNBC). You know, because they've changed their tune.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:46 PM

There are no power mongers on the left. ALL ultra-wealthy individuals and entities are Right Leaning Conservatives. Even if their roots were Liberal, by the time they reach the 10% level of wealth they are solidly Conservative and they only move further Right as the $$$ pile up in the tax shelter(s) they have established. Let's get real.

Kroger workers had to strike during a Pandemic in order to obtain a wage/work relationship that reflected the fact that we are living through the tightest labor market since there has been a labor market. Nevertheless, many, many, many people, and I can't say I can blame them, will not deliver your mail, or teach your child, or drive the delivery vehicles or the semi-trucks or whatever, because they don't want to catch Covid from unvaccinated people OR ... they are dead or maybe down for the count with Long Covid. And more go offline every day. Or is that a conspiracy. I don't know.

Why, oh why, would government want America to fail? Answer me that. This notion that anyone not espousing anarchy is some kind of agent bent on destroying America from within just does not pass the smell test. Wanting a Basic Income for Americans that are, or will be, redundant due to rampant automation; wanting a living wage for those workers that are employed ... why are these things anathema?

If a Liberal woman (wearing a mask) were to go topless on Burnside Ave. People would freak out. In short order a police van would appear and she would be whisked away, and subjected to a mental health evaluation. It is actually legal for women to be topless in Portland but it wouldn't be possible to actually DO it without incident. People by the hundreds, refuse to wear masks, and say it is an illegal imposition. I don't know of anyone dying because they witnessed a breast, but at least a million (seriously) Americans have died because someone they were near was not wearing a mask.

Don't get me started. The mass of contradictions that are the Conservative gestalt is mind boggling in its complexity. There is none of us "free". You want to be "free", head out deep into the Coast Range and go off grid. In town, your actions and your druthers IMPACT people. You cannot listen to your iPad at any old volume that pleases you on a public conveyance. No, you are not "free". If you are a food vendor, your site will be subject to random inspections. You are not free to poison or sicken people to increase your profits. We are NOT "free".

Not that long ago there wasn't much daylight between a Liberal and a Conservative. Actually, there wasn't much truck about ideology before ... Reagan? You were Democrat or Republican and I'm hanged if I could actually see much difference between them before ... Reagan? We all wanted the same things. Safe streets, safer homes, full bellies, cheap gasoline, paved roads, network television ... the freak show that is the current political landscape is troubling.

I promise, our side is not out to bring about the downfall of America, but by gum, some things have to work for the common man. Women should have better contraception than pills that ever more health systems refuse to pay for. And they should continue to have access to safe and legal terminations. Since landlords are not subject to rent caps, workers should not be subject to wage caps! The wage/rent ratio that has held for three generations is 4:1. And this got the renter a NICE place. I swear I heard someone, I won't say who, actually advocate for sub-standard housing so that it could be affordable!

No, just no, we are not racing America to the bottom in the name of what I don't know. America has a very unhealthy income and wealth distribution and wanting that to change for the better is not wrong. Government is not the devil. Progressives wanted $6 Trillion to address obvious failings of America to maintain a First World Standard for the majority of the population. That got whittled down to under $2 Trillion and that was still too much for, yeah, I need not say. So it stands at nothing. Nothing earmarked for anything. Just same old, same old. That is insanity by definition. Just saying.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,871,269 times
Quote:

They don't even have to be flophouses for that crowd to start their bitching and bawling. A small development designed for low-income workers is going in in my community, and a small group of progressives who are fresh off the California turnip truck have been trying to stop it. Their major complaint seems to be that the plans don't include balconies and they think it would be cruel to expect people to live without balconies just because they're "poor."

Their main objective is to kick the can down the road; they don't want the project there.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They don't even have to be flophouses for that crowd to start their bitching and bawling. A small development designed for low-income workers is going in in my community, and a small group of progressives who are fresh off the California turnip truck have been trying to stop it. Their major complaint seems to be that the plans don't include balconies and they think it would be cruel to expect people to live without balconies just because they're "poor."

Their main objective is to kick the can down the road; they don't want the project there.
All this labelling. Are they really progressives? I doubt it. Are YOU for the project? Doesn't matter. NIMBY has no 'label'. It's more of a socio-economic level kind of thing. Wealthy Liberals tend to behave and think a lot like wealthy Conservatives.

What's wrong with balconies?

Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,871,269 times
Quote:
All this labelling. Are they really progressives? I doubt it. Are YOU for the project? Doesn't matter. NIMBY has no 'label'. It's more of a socio-economic level kind of thing. Wealthy Liberals tend to behave and think a lot like wealthy Conservatives.

What's wrong with balconies?
Lack of balconies isn't a reason to rally against the project, especially on the Oregon coast where the wind and rain severely limit balcony time, but that's one of their main talking points.

They call themselves "progressives;" I suppose I could just call them Californians.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-16-2022 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland