Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,040 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Portland when I retire in a few years to be near my daughter but I'm not sure what areas to look at. I would like to purchase a condo and there seem to be affordable ones in the Beaverton/Hillsboro areas. Child-friendly neighborhoods aren't important and I'm not an avid outdoor person. What does matter are the arts (theater, concerts, museums), convenient shopping areas and a more liberal-thinking community. Living near the MAX might be useful, I would think. Is the Perl District affordable for a retiree? If not, what other areas should I look at? Should I consider settling in Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
It sounds like from the standpoint of easy access to the "arts" you might look closer in to central Portland proper than Beaverton/Hillsboro. There are defintely condos near the Max line in Beaverton/Hillsboro but the ride in to Portland will likely be 30-40 minutes. Also from my experience, Beaverton/Hillsb. and Vancouver are among the least liberal-thinking parts of the metro area (although that's relative as they certainly lean more left than other parts of the country). On the other hand, Portland condos are more expensive, especially the newer ones near downtown...BUT prices are nearly in free fall in the high-end condo market, so you'd have some room to negotiate.

If your income is below a certain level, there's Pearl district housing available. If not, it's very spendy.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Portland neighborhoods to give you any specific areas to look at within Portland (hopefully others will chime in); just wanted to share my thoughts about Beaverton/Hillsboro in light of your desired qualities.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the light rail doesn't run from Vancouver yet (and maybe won't). And crossing the bridges at rush hour is a pretty horrible experience.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM

108 posts, read 469,956 times
Pearl District is pricey but I don't know your budget, you may find something. I agree with John Shaft re: Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Vancouver. If the Pearl is too expensive, or if you want to be less urban, you can try SE Portland. They have condos tucked in all over the place and there are some great walkable neighborhoods. Maybe NE, too, though I'm not as familiar. This site has great descriptions of the neighborhoods and you can search for condos there as well. (I have nothing to do with the site; I just found it very handy when I was learning about PDX neighborhoods.) Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
There are also various units in NW, Goose Hollow, Kings Hill, and downtown as well that are less expensive than the Pearl but still walking distance to the Pearl, the museum, great restaurants, etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,040 times
Default Relocating to Portland, OR

Thank you all for your comments. I will keep the areas you recommended in mind. I'm open to any further input.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 AM

14 posts, read 73,741 times
Depending on your definition of affordable, downtown Portland/the Pearl district are going to be areas with the most immediate access to cultural outings. So if you want a more urban feeling, then the downtown area is where you should look, but if you want to live more in the suburbs then Beaverton is a nice area.

Commuting/visiting via the max line is a nice option, especially since parking availability is not great downtown, though parking isn't terrible either and it's better than many other urban metros.

For reference, the median condo price is around $275,000 in Portland. For the most part, the further you go from downtown, the cheaper real estate prices get with a few exceptions such as Lake Oswego.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 AM

120 posts, read 279,310 times
Default condos in portland

Lots of condos in the newly developed South Waterfront area. They've overbuilt, if anything, and with the real estate market the way it is, there are bargains to be had.

NE Portland might also be an option - I live in the Hollywood/Grant Park area, and some new condos have gone up or are being built in the area - close to a max station and 10 minutes to downtown by car when traffic is light.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:24 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
You might take a look at Lair Hill. It's a quiet little neighborhood just south of downtown. Lots of older homes that have been divided up into condos or apartments.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,126 times
I don't know how much a condo goes for but I live in the Hawthorne district, as long as you stay South of the 40th street it's pretty nice. Belmont I have been told is nice as well. Plus in Belmont new housing is going in as I am writing this. It's not super close to some of the places you were talking about, though the people are nice. Well as long as you claim to be at least left to far left. I also just wanted to say welcome to the neighbor hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland