Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,951 times

Advertisements

My research has shown that Milwaukie was named in the top 50 best places to raise a family.
Any insiders know any pertinant info I should know?
Safety, culture, schools, etc....
Much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM

23 posts, read 155,890 times
Reports on schools in Milwaukie and the rest of Oregon are available at:

http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/reports/toc.aspx

The school district in Milwaukie is the North Clackamas School District. The closest high schools are Rex Putnam High and Milwaukie High.

Crime stats for Milwaukie PD are available at:

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/CJIS/annual_reports.shtml

Nearby cities to use for comparing Milwaukie are Portland, Gladstone and West Linn. A lot of area surrounding Milwaukie is unincorporated, so crime info for that area would need to come from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office (and is not online). The CCSO main phone # is: 503-655-8218. All crime stats are a matter of public record. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhomepro View Post
Reports on schools in Milwaukie and the rest of Oregon are available at:

http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/reports/toc.aspx

The school district in Milwaukie is the North Clackamas School District. The closest high schools are Rex Putnam High and Milwaukie High.

Crime stats for Milwaukie PD are available at:

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/CJIS/annual_reports.shtml

Nearby cities to use for comparing Milwaukie are Portland, Gladstone and West Linn. A lot of area surrounding Milwaukie is unincorporated, so crime info for that area would need to come from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office (and is not online). The CCSO main phone # is: 503-655-8218. All crime stats are a matter of public record. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks for your response! I have seen those sites and checked the district out but I'm looking for some 'insider' information.
Have you lived there or know anyone who has????
Thanks again!!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 AM

23 posts, read 155,890 times
You're welcome. I have not lived in Milwaukie, though I have known people who have. They have really liked it, but Milwaukie is like any other city of its size. It has nice neighborhoods and some that aren't so nice. I can't give specifics on what neighborhood to recommend or what neighborhood to avoid, but I highly recommend, if you can, to drive around the neighborhoods so you can see firsthand which areas will suit you best.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhomepro View Post
You're welcome. I have not lived in Milwaukie, though I have known people who have. They have really liked it, but Milwaukie is like any other city of its size. It has nice neighborhoods and some that aren't so nice. I can't give specifics on what neighborhood to recommend or what neighborhood to avoid, but I highly recommend, if you can, to drive around the neighborhoods so you can see firsthand which areas will suit you best.
Thank you!
I'm waiting to hear back from their director to see if their district would be inclusive for my son.
I'm leaning more towards Lake Oswego or West Linn/Wilsonville but it's so hard when you aren't there!!!
I know wherever we end up will become our home...just wish I could fast forward time!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
My research has shown that Milwaukie was named in the top 50 best places to raise a family.
Wow! That suprises me. Milwaukie, Oregon???

Milwaukie is not a bad place... just kind of bland. Nothing really stands out in my mind as family friendly. We live in the SE corner of Portland that is right beside Milwaukie. And we've met A LOT of Milwaukie families in our neighborhood who come to the preschools here, parks here, swim here, kids musuems here, etc because they don't have enough of it in their neighborhoods. The Milwaukie schools are ok, but certainly not stand out.

I would love to read that article if you don't mind sharing the source.
Thanks. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Wow! That suprises me. Milwaukie, Oregon???

Milwaukie is not a bad place... just kind of bland. Nothing really stands out in my mind as family friendly. We live in the SE corner of Portland that is right beside Milwaukie. And we've met A LOT of Milwaukie families in our neighborhood who come to the preschools here, parks here, swim here, kids musuems here, etc because they don't have enough of it in their neighborhoods. The Milwaukie schools are ok, but certainly not stand out.

I would love to read that article if you don't mind sharing the source.
Thanks. Good luck.
I have NO idea where I saw that but it was on-line during my research.
My husband and I, after lots and lots of research and past visits have decided to move to Newberg....Though I will get into the city on occasion and will check that area out for the markets/shopping etc....
Thanks for your response!!

Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM

118 posts, read 419,237 times
Hey if you're commuting to Portland, Milwaukie might be good because in a few years they're going to build the MAX light-rail there from Portland. Might be a good investment.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
Hey if you're commuting to Portland, Milwaukie might be good because in a few years they're going to build the MAX light-rail there from Portland. Might be a good investment.
Thanks~ My husband's office will be in Lake Oswego...wish we could afford housing there!

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
I've been hearing the Milwaukie line will be up and running in the next few years as long as I've lived in Portland... 18 years now. So I'm not holding my breath for the Milwaukie Max. But since Sellwood / Westmoreland/ Eastmoreland have increased in value so rapidly, it is trickling over into Milwaukie... slower than SE Portland but rising prices are coming to Milwaukie.

I know folks who can't afford to live in Westmoreland/ Sellwood but want all the amenities of Westmoreland / Sellwood so they pick Milwaukie & drive over to the shops ect of Westmoreland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland