Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,349 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to Portland,OR. Before we do so, we were hoping we could find out what people think of Portland. I was hoping people could give us five reasons to move to Portland and five reasons not to do so.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

88 posts, read 357,725 times
I can give you 1 reason to move to Portland and 1 reason to stay in Pittsburgh

You want to move to Portland because every travel magazine tells you that is what people are doing.
You want to stay in Pittsburgh because a lot of those magazines have ads to sell along with their travel essays.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Oh this guys full of bologna. The travel ads I can bet arent selling Portland off as a top city to go to. They probably put Tampa FL in there or Omaha instead lol.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Oh this guys full of bologna. The travel ads I can bet arent selling Portland off as a top city to go to. They probably put Tampa FL in there or Omaha instead lol.
Actually, Portland keeps getting written up as on of THE hip new places in a lot of the travel and food magazines. The picture the articles usually paint is of a city that most people who live here wouldn't even recognize. The general view is a cross between the Pearl District, the really posh parts of Lake Oswego, the West Hills and Laurelhurst - surrounded by the coast, wine country and Mt. Hood skiing.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM

109 posts, read 319,373 times
Hey 27, I just moved from the midwest (Michigan) to Portland, and while I'm not a "local" nor have I been here for very long, I'll do my best to give a bit of insight (plus none of the other posters actually answered your question).

Pros: 1) Weather. People complain about the winters and the rain, but if you can survive 5 months of below freezing, gray skies, and ice storms you can survive 40 degrees and rain. Summer is gorgeous, and humidity is low.
2) A livable, vibrant city. My husband and I are young, live right downtown, and so far we love it. There is stuff to do downtown on the weekends. I walk to work, walk to the bars at night, walk to my friends house- and there is always something to do- if you are bored here, it is your fault.
3) WAY more liberal than the midwest. I have seen more crazy stuff, and been exposed to more "alternative lifestyles" in my 2-3 weeks here than I ever have in my entire life back home in Ohio and Michigan. And I think it is good for me.

Cons: 1) WAY more liberal than the midwest. People in Portland are all about diversity and inclusion... as long as it doesn't clash with their personal beliefs. Dress as satan in drag and stage a mock wedding/prayer circle/whatever in the middle of a public park, nobody blinks. But wear a US Marine Corps shirt and get called every name in the book. This happened to my friend, who is in the military. Dressing in fatigues to be cool and make a fashion statement is ok, just don't actually sign up for the military. Ok, rant over.
2) Cost of living. You could get a gorgeous 4 bedroom house in Pittsburgh for the price of a shanty here in Portland. Half a cart of groceries is $90. Moving from Michigan to Portland, our rent increased by $300 per month and we have 300 less sq feet.
3) Distance from your family. If something happens to grandma, are you prepared to shell out $700 to fly home at the drop of a hat? If you and your boyfriend break up, are you prepared to be so far away from home without your friends & family? Are you the type of person that can make friends easily, adjust to new surroundings, and deal with setbacks on your own? If you have never lived away from home before, this can be really hard, and can make or break your experience.

I know that is only six things, but like I said I'm still getting settled, and frankly I don't think I could think of 5 negative things about here- I'm loving it! Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Don't know if I can manage 5 each, but I'll do my best.

5 Reasons TO move to Portland:
1) If your type of "scape" is green and hilly with lots of trees, very clean.
2) If you prefer a milder climate with lots of annual rain.
3) If you love-love to hike and bike.
4) If you love a city with lots to do during the summer (numerous events, even out in the burb, plus it's close enough to the beach and more hiking areas than you could do in a season).
5) If you prefer to live within a more liberal political climate.

5 Reason to NOT move to Portland:
1) Cost of living/low wages.
2) If you suffer from SAD Syndrome, because the sufferers have to deal with it at least six months of the year (depending on a year's cycle of weather).
3) Very liberal, bleeding-heart politics, that is what it is (Lilly12103 described it perfectly).
4) Much, much less to do during the winter months. It can test the tolerance of someone who hates being "inside" for long.
5) .......... Can't fill this one.........

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 193,096 times
+
1. very low humidity
2. lots of water, clean water in comparison, to swim,fish, drink..lol
3. pretty safe even in "bad" parts of town
4. very diverse in lifestyles - people are open - you could smoke weed outside and no one would care - not even the cops, they give a ticket only..lol plus to some -neg to others
5. outdoor activities

-
1. rain rain rains for more like 8 months a year..
2. not a lot of diversity as far as race - that matters to some people
3. high cost of living
4. measure 11 - i have seen people come here - get into 1 fight, hurt someone and go to prison for 5 years mandatory sentancing..
5. public schools arent the best - but def. not the worst either..

I

Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 PM

91 posts, read 323,481 times
5 Reasons to Move
1. Beautiful geography, particularly in summer
2. Environmentally friendly
3. Lots going on, but still has a small city feel
4. Thriving creative scene
5. Never gets too cold or too hot

5 Reasons not to Move
1. Long, grey winters are totally depressing
2. Poor job market
3. The city is over run with strip bars and other sex type businesses
4. Long grey winters
5. Long grey winters

Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 AM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Actually, Portland keeps getting written up as on of THE hip new places in a lot of the travel and food magazines. The picture the articles usually paint is of a city that most people who live here wouldn't even recognize. The general view is a cross between the Pearl District, the really posh parts of Lake Oswego, the West Hills and Laurelhurst - surrounded by the coast, wine country and Mt. Hood skiing.

Im not gonna ask why but it is quite a ****ed up thing to only show the hard to afford and more upscale areas when displaying a city like its a ****ing fairy tale or some **** and then when those people visit and see the bums, they hit the hightailing. Its not bad at all that theres bums necessarily and cheaper older restaurants to eat at but people who do not expect the things they do not talk about will be in for a rude awakening.
It makes me wanna set fire to the government that they spread all these unrealistic pictures.
Unfortunately, you cannot show honesty off to many people just a very select group of people who will not be manipulated by the govt. Its sad were in a world where people run once they see the real honesty.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
The travel magazines are talking about visiting rather than living here. There is a world of difference. A visitor usually sees all the good as every city wants to promote it's good points. But the person who decides to move here without much reference to living conditions, is the one who may be in for a shock.
The travel mags don't talk about the gloomy months which are hard on some people. They don't have to mention the high cost of living, low wages and limited job opportunities.

What they do say is true; beautiful forests, mountains, ocean, numerous activities etc. All true. But when people in other places see those good things they often forget about the reality of every day life of trying to live in this beautiful place on a day-to-day basis.

All the good and bad points people have come up with here are true. Those who wish to move here should be taking both into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland