Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 02:34 PM

154 posts, read 688,738 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're looking for a house to rent and I know some rental sites have been less scrupulous than others ( i.e. lots of scams through some rental sites I've seen on Craig's List). Has anyone used Rent in Portland and can they recommend it?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I am a little curious as to why you want to use this service in particular? Did you see some juicy property that they won't provide you the address to? That would be a red flag right there. There are a TON of direct by homeowner or through legitimate property management companies on that list. Any service that simply puts you in touch with a list of properties is... ... well I won't call them scammers but they are certainly unneccessary. If OTOH they actually own the properties or represent them directly then they will actually list the address and link Google directions to it, etc. The point is, it's the property that is important, not who owns it. Another way of finding a rental that I have seen mentioned here is to cruise around in a neighborhood you like and look for "For Rent" signs. That isn't the way I went but I've put it out there FWIW. If you are interested I can put you in touch with a property owner/manager in NE/SE Portland, maybe elsewhere, that has a number of houses for rent. I have no connection with this agent and did not actually rent from them but would have if they had had something in the area that I eventually chose to live in.

H

Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,582 times
Default My 2 Cents

I've used their service about 1 year ago (rentinportland.com ?)and I got some good responses but found my rental via craigslist. I am going to move in about 3 months and I have been checking out craigslist and I get no responses or I get scam emails. Truthfully the market is horrible today and I have no clue what I am going to do...

Here are some free sites....
1. backpage.com (free)
2. oodle.com (free)
3. craigslist (sucks now but it is free)

If all else fails try and renew your lease at a lower rent and use the market downturn as leverage.

Peace!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I cannot imagine what you are looking for if IYO "Craigslist sucks now". I also don't share your opinion that the "market is horrible today". Rents now are $300/mo cheaper than this same time last year. We've notified our landlord that we would be willing to renew for $200/mo less but he says no, the rent is fair where it is. Well, we know differently and have seen a bunch of stuff since deciding not to renew.

H

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I cannot imagine what you are looking for if IYO "Craigslist sucks now". I also don't share your opinion that the "market is horrible today". Rents now are $300/mo cheaper than this same time last year. We've notified our landlord that we would be willing to renew for $200/mo less but he says no, the rent is fair where it is. Well, we know differently and have seen a bunch of stuff since deciding not to renew.

H

Same here! We are dumping our lease when it expires, they want to raise our rent by $50 (we are already paying above what others are renting at around here). Get a new lease, cheaper...and going to find a better location.

Craigslist does kind of suck, not that it's entirely their fault...it's really easy to scam people on there when they don't verify, and often people see such a deal for something it short circuits their brain they don't question it enough. Reminder to everyone, anything that asks for wire transfers, sending one a check which you send money back to them, or deposits to get keys when they are out of the country is a scam...or look on Consumerist to look what up what might be scams.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,752 times
I just sprung for the $10 but the results it gives me are pretty much all old posts that are no longer available to rent. They also all seem to be homes offered through rental companies (Mainlander, Alpine, Fox Mgmt) so you can find the homes on those websites too for free. So bottom line is, I wish I hadn't spent the money.

One house I inquired about had been rented a month ago - so when Rentinportland.com says they check w/the owners 'weekly' to make sure it is still available, I really have to question that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: