Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is similar to Portland but with better weather and not too congested?
Santa Barbara 5 31.25%
Boulder 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 PM

34 posts, read 186,527 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Portland, Oregon for 12 years now. I love Portland in many ways, but I am just sick of the grey and rain. I love that Portland is neighborhoody and not particularly urban feeling; it's quirky; the houses are all different - no cookie cutterism; the people are liberal; great activities for parents with kids; lots of outdoorsy stuff nearby; lots of trees; the community as a whole is rather supportive of the stuff I'm into - alternative medicine, yoga, spirituality, music... The summers are great, but then there's about 8 months of grey weather. 100-day stretches of rain are not uncommon in Portland, and I can't take it any more. I have tried all the things I prescribe to my SAD patients, but the fact is I just hate being in a place that is DAMP most of the year.
I am from Massachusetts, and I love it's liberalism, the emphasis on education and arts, but I hate the harsh winters and the muggy summers, and I'm not so into the East coast attitudes anymore. I went to school in Amherst and hung out in Northampton a lot and loved those areas (when I was a student), and Portland is kind of like a really big Northampton, which I like.
Really southern California is maybe a bit too desert for me (Portland is quite lush and green in comparison and if I could live a place that's at least somewhat less dry and brown than So. Cal, that would be great), and maybe too conservative too. I love the sun, but it may actually be over the top for me -- virtually no rain.
The Bay area seems too congested for me and mostly too urban feeling, but I admit I don't know it all that well. I like the liberalism of that area and the architecture though. I like the scholarliness and youthful vibe of Berkeley, so that might be an option.
I have thought about Boulder, CO also, though I have heard the winters can be just as harsh as New England and there's a lot of tract housing and the town has a very high jock student population that kinda runs the town. I've also heard people kind of try to be competitively new agey there, which sounds annoying. But people might say that about Portland too, for all I know.
Santa Barbara, CA sounds like a great place - maybe my ideal. I am wary of So. Cal superficiality, but it sounds like SB may be less of that?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Also, I have plenty to say about Portland for anyone considering it, so feel free to contact me about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Don't feel compelled to stick to the options in my poll ...
Also, I'd like to stay in the western half of the U.S. because my wife's family is here and she wants to stay (relatively) near them.
Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
You don't care for Bend?

You may love Santa Barbara. It is quite different from the rest of it's So-Cal sisters. I wouldn't mind living there, myself.

What about Monterey-California areas? Their summers don't get as warm as you'd think, but they're beautiful places. Spendy, though.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Bend is not bad. It's beautiful around there. However, a bit harsh in the winter for me. And I'm not a big fan of all the new construction. Everything feels so brand new, lots of the condos have the same look, and maybe just a little bit small for me.
As for Monterey, I have heard good things, but I get the sense it's somewhat chilly and damp, with no real summery weather. Don't get me wrong -- sounds significantly better in the weather department than Portland, so it's not off my list. How about culture there? Is there much to do? Good restaurants?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember View Post
Bend is not bad. It's beautiful around there. However, a bit harsh in the winter for me. And I'm not a big fan of all the new construction. Everything feels so brand new, lots of the condos have the same look, and maybe just a little bit small for me.
As for Monterey, I have heard good things, but I get the sense it's somewhat chilly and damp, with no real summery weather. Don't get me wrong -- sounds significantly better in the weather department than Portland, so it's not off my list. How about culture there? Is there much to do? Good restaurants?
I'd say that Monterey has more history than culture but I could be wrong. I've spent a lot of time in Santa Cruz but not much in Monterey. And, yes, warm summers aren't long in those areas. September tends to be their better months, and the winters are wet but mild.

San Diego is (or used to be) a gem in So-Cal because it is actually very green there (arid but its fertile soil produces a lot of vegetation) and the weather is gorgeous. I spent a vacation there in '92 and it has changed since then ~ population, cost of living, crime. But this, or Santa Barbara, are the places that I would really suggest for you. It has both history and culture.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Ok, should have checked into Monterey before I replied. Looks like it gets a good deal of sun. However, I think I'd rather be somewhere slightly bigger and with the potential for some warmer weather.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Boulder is a frozen wasteland compared to Portland. They had their first frost three weeks ago. It's been known to snow there in August.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember View Post
I don't blame you. I hate Bend with a passion.

So far it's Santa Barbara (1st) and San Diego (2nd) still coming to mind. Both are coastal, and both should be plentiful in things to do. Santa Barbara is a little bit sleepier but it's very artsy. Fairly close to Pismo Beach, a little coastal town that I LOVE. And if you love wine. . . .

You should check out Sacramento, too. It's probably not very "green", but it's should provide just about anything you like to do. Great weather. Very hot in the summer but their springs and falls are just beautiful. A little farther from the coast.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

426 posts, read 1,735,978 times
If you can deal with the October - April frozen wasteland, Madison, Wisconsin has very sunny and beautiful.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,582 times
Austin, TX. Very green, progressive, and liberal. You'll be away from the mountains, but it is nearly always sunny. It is not uncommon to have 3 to 4 week stretches where it is sunny with blue skies every day, then maybe a day or two with clouds, and another few weeks of sun. I've found myself sick of the constant sunny days and wishing for some rain, haha (although we do get around 33 inches a year...much more than the Bay Area or anywhere in Southern California). The winters are very nice, with low humidity and high's in the 60's. The summers can be quite hot, but it is a dry heat. Having UT and its 50,000 students gives Austin a youthful vibe, plus thousands of other 20-somethings flock here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland