Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,959 times

Advertisements

Im 18 years old and Im going to be moving out this summer.
I'd had my heart set on portland becuase I have got family there.
I havnt got much work experiance so Ill probly be making min. wage,
will I be able to afford rent making that much money???

-Pretty Little Hedonist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Hedonist View Post

-Pretty Little Hedonist
Portland is expensive to live in. If you make min wage you will probably bring home 800 to 900 a month. Rents usually start around 500. That is a very tight budget. Check craigslist for roomate shares ... that might help.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM

35 posts, read 354,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Portland is expensive to live in. If you make min wage you will probably bring home 800 to 900 a month. Rents usually start around 500. That is a very tight budget. Check craigslist for roomate shares ... that might help.

Portland rent looks good compared to Northern CA. A studio in my building starts at $900.00 a month. Salaries are high, but rent is still a large portion of my income. I was considering moving to PDX BECAUSE of the cost of housing.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 PM

64 posts, read 360,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Hedonist View Post

-Pretty Little Hedonist
Oregon's min wage is currently $7.80 an hour, from what I dug up (increases each year to inflation). If you want to make some decent money, I would try being a waittress - you get tip $$$ on top of the hourly wage, and can bring home some bucks. My friend made at least $15/hour on that, and she was only 20 with no experience. And there are tons of restaurants - although the competition to find a job may be difficult.

As far as housing - I would look into finding a house with a bunch of other girl roommates - check portland.craigslist.org under the 'rooms/shared' section. There are tons of bedrooms you can rent in a house with other people for around $300/month - and if you click with them, it's a great way to meet new people and make friends! However, it can be tough to get into one, so I would start emailing sooner rather than later...

If you're only working 20 hours a week at min wage, you probably won't be able to afford a place very easily - so you'll want to work at least 30 hours/week (grossing about $940/month before taxes) to be able to live here.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:20 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Don't do anything until you find a place to live, You said you have family here, are they able to offer you some type of living arrangment, and then you could pay them something that would be alot lower than a rent payment. That is one solution, Portland is not that cheap a place for someone so young as yourself, and I would hate to see you having a hard time like that here, so many of them, are on the streets here. Please don't let that happen to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland