Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,481 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm planning on moving to Portland in the spring and I was wondering how easy it is to bike and bus from North or North East Portland to Vancouver, WA. Specifically the community college in Vancouver (Clark). 10 - 15 mile one way bike commutes are ok for me, I worry much more about getting smacked down in heavy traffic. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 04:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Clark College is quite near I-5, but I have not used I-5 bridge as a bike route., The most problematic issue (besides safety, being only separated from cars by a railing...) is crossing the slough bridge (which is between Hayden Island and Portland (Delta Park)). I think the bridge approaches might be time consuming on I-5, but it could be good to find a spot on Hayden Island to live and then you just have to negotiate the interstate bridge, Once in Vancouver, If you can use the new pedestrian bridge over SR14 (near pedestrian walkway of I-5 bridge) you would be real quick to Clark, with no traffic hassles on Vancouver side.

The I-205 route is nice, but steep, high winds, and long. Once in Vancouver, you can bike McLoughlin (wide, light traffic) if you can climb the hill at Ellsworth. Evergreen Blvd is a flatter route in from the east, but narrow in spots. Portland has a decent bike trail along I-205, but its not the most friendly for commuting, as bike path designers don't think 'timely commute', and their crossings of major roads often result in delays. The 205 bike route is pretty optimal and well used.

BTW - why would you live in OR and school in WA? Kind of an expensive option. Especially if you are working and paying income tax.... you might as well utilize those well fed Portland colleges that you are paying for. Clark is considered superior in some subjects, especially math, but decent EDU programs in north Portland (Both public and Private).

Good luck,

I would ride both routes, and also blog onto some PDX biking sites, I turned from an avid (Daily) cyclist to a very infrequent rider when I moved to PNW from Colorado 28 yrs ago. Dark, wet, narrow roads, + very inconsiderate drivers who are not used to 'SEEING' cyclists. If you appreciate drivers giving you space, you will not be pleased with motorists in PNW. I have found only 10% will give you the courtesy of a couple feet, even if there are no cars approaching or next to them. Plus there are no 'snow' shoulders on the country roads on the west side of Cascades.

Wear bright colors, blinking lights, a side mounted flag, a helmet, and expect to be clipped.
Be careful, lots of folks can tolerate the danger of bike commuting in PNW, but since I gained the 'responsibility' of being a parent the same time as my move here... the bike commute had to go, and the life insurance had to increase. (yet another sacrifice from the 'freedom' of single-hood...). Colo was heaven for cyclists, especially Boulder where they had full use of the right lane, and cars that don't move over got ticketed I didn't live near there, but enjoyed riding through. We did 40-50 mile rides 2x / week on the way to work, and swam 72 laps on the other 3, I WAS in great shape, then

Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The Yellow (? I think) MAX line goes to the Expo Center, so you could live anywhere MAX-adjacent, and the ride would be across the Slough and I-5 bridges. If they EVER get approval for the I-5 bridge rebuild, I wouldn't count on a bike lane being open during construction.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,481 times
Thanks for the responses you two, I appreciate it. The only reason I would take some classes in WA is because it would take me a year to become an Oregon resident where as if I live in Portland for 90 days they'll let me take classes in WA at quite a discount from normal out of state tuition. I haven't been in school for almost 20 years and I know I have to take remedial or referesher classes before I can do anything else. I'm aching to hurry up and do something with my life and I'd like to start over in Portland.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The Yellow (? I think) MAX line goes to the Expo Center, so you could live anywhere MAX-adjacent, and the ride would be across the Slough and I-5 bridges. If they EVER get approval for the I-5 bridge rebuild, I wouldn't count on a bike lane being open during construction.

That's my thought as well. However, that bridge won't start for 6-8 years and if you are a student now then it won't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland