Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 AM

371 posts, read 1,760,887 times

Advertisements

I asked a similar question in the Seattle forum and all I got was Leavenworth lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Well ... Albina used to be the German area of town. Many, many years back. It's not any longer. The closest you'd come to that these days are areas out in Washington County which were settled heavily by the Swiss. Verboort and Cedar Mill were huge Swiss settlements, and still have that "flavor." Tillamook had as well. All those cheese makers. Further south, Mount Angel has the big Oktoberfest celebration, so is heavily German influenced. Aurora had its beginnings as The Aurora Colony, a commune of German settlers. I'm not sure their German origins influences much these days, though.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I think there is (or was) one out in Parkrose, too. I remember a German bakery and a sausage shop. When we'd go to Parkrose Hardware (back when there was only one), we'd stop in and get bread and frequently hear people conversing in German.

I don't think the bakery is there anymore, though.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
To tell you the truth there are few ethnic communities left in the PNW, except for Native American. Poulsbo prides itself on its Norwegian roots and the Son's of Norway Hall is active but few still speak the language. Like wise the Ballard neighborhood in Seattle.

Astoria was Scandinavian, not German, because it was the center for fishing and fish processing. In its hay-day they had neighborhoods divided by Fin, Dane, Norse, and Swed. According to my dear departed Father, the Danes had the best parties.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Well all the places you guys are describing are more like themed shops lol. I was looking for a living, breathing community, as I know there are Russian/Japanese areas in Seattle. Oh well. Thanks for replying.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 PM

162 posts, read 513,181 times
In Portland there are several "Stammtisches." That is a community of German speaking people who come together about once a month or so and speak German and eat good German food. Right now I belong to an Austrian Stammtisch and would highly recommend visiting one of these. However, it depends if you are looking to buy a loaf of German bread or speak the language/learn about the culture.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
Well all the places you guys are describing are more like themed shops lol. I was looking for a living, breathing community, as I know there are Russian/Japanese areas in Seattle. Oh well. Thanks for replying.
There aren't really neighborhoods of specific ethnicities like you'd find in New York or Chicago. For the most part, people assimilate into the community. Any "community" is more of a social one,and does revolve around stores, restaurants, churches, or lodges particular to that ethnicity.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM

252 posts, read 960,356 times
Portland really lacks many "white ethnic" neighborhoods like you have in the east coast or midwest. Along SE Foster there is a small Russian neighborhood, but that's a more recent immigrant group. You really don't find any German, Polish, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Scandinavian, etc. neighborhoods in Portland. Portland is pretty far from the east coast where most European immigrants landed, and by the time white folks made it out west, identities were pretty mixed up. There isn't much specific ethnic identity among white folks in Portland, unless they're from a recent immigrant group.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There aren't really neighborhoods of specific ethnicities like you'd find in New York or Chicago. For the most part, people assimilate into the community. Any "community" is more of a social one,and does revolve around stores, restaurants, churches, or lodges particular to that ethnicity.
Yeah thats true. The PNW is too "new." Still, i like this part of the country, lots of trees and its away from the accursed sun >_<

Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I asked a friend who is 46 and lived here all of her life about ethnic neighborhoods. She said it was more prevalent when she was a child. She told me about the various neighborhoods that were predominently this ethnic group or that. I know at the present there is a Russian area near Foster ave but that's about all I can think of.

I am orignally from Chicago so I am familiar with ethnic neighborhoods. You really do not find that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland