Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times

Advertisements

The loss of income like that, and the independence as well as self worth can be devastating. In not knowing where things are going to come from it's really hard when you're using up your resources (for living expenses and COBRA). I've been through it, and though I can't say I would think it's worse then loosing a parent, but it's up there.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times
The latest numbers were released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

The Portland Metro area's unemployment rate is 10.7%. While this has gotten worse, as all areas have, many other metro areas have jumped ahead.

Porltand Metro area is ranked 292nd out of 372 metro areas. The top 14 metro areas are over 15% (Bend, OR is one of them).

The US Dept. of Labor uses population sampling to determine the unemployment rates, not filings for unemployment benefits.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM

178 posts, read 584,740 times
So, I reduced that list to just most of the major cities and Portland comes out as having the #1 highest unemployment...yikes!

10.7 Portland
10.2 LA
9.3 Atlanta
9.2 Chicago
8.8 SF
8.7 Seattle
8.2 NYC
7.4 Boston
6.3 Austin

Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times
...and thats a completely arbitrary statement.

You've missed two metro areas that are about twice the size of the Portland Metro area.

Riverside (4.08M people) - 12.2%
Detroit (4.47M people) - 13.6%

Portland is #3 in unemployment by size. But I'm not sure what the size of a city has to do with the percentage of unemployed people.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM

493 posts, read 665,563 times
I agree, Detroit would have to be the worst "major city" in the country by far for employment. You can buy condo units there for the price of an inexpensive used car for christsakes. It's truly a has-been of a city left for dead.

Riverside country...most people would consider that an extension of the greater Los Angeles area. Hard to say why Los Angeles has been hit the way it has...probably a lot of out of work financial sector employees and building contractors/construction workers hogging a disproportionate amount of the unemployment limelight

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Portland has one thing going for it Detroit does not, it has hope at least that the future might be better.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM

14 posts, read 30,833 times
Hello all,

I'm just here for some honest answers. Hopefully, that's what I will get. I currently reside in Arizona and am considering a move to Portland. I don't really dislike it here but, it's really not for me. The weather is fantastic and the hot summers really don't bother me. But, and there always is a but, I find the culture and diversity extremely lacking. I came out her on the encouragement of a relative who at this point in their life were looking for much different things than myself. I had lived on the est coast for the past 20 years in NYC and Washington DC. Now my question and I know nowhere is gonna compare to NYC but, the cultural, ethnic and professional diversity is important to me. I need that vibe. Does Portland offer that??The weather is not really a big deal that's why they have planes, trains and automobiles LOL. Any feedback woulod be most appreciated.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Culture - yes. Portland is full of creative people doing creative things.

Diversity - not so much. Portland is the whitest big city in the US.

Also, you say that the weather is not a big deal, but you also say that you find the weather in Arizona "fantastic". Be prepared for weather that is very different! Some people don't realize how much it will affect them until they get here.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Not much ethnic diversity either. But there is plenty to see and do. It pretty much depends upon what your likes and dislikes are. Also "culture" covers a broad spectrum. What are you specifically looking for in that area?

I personally like the overcast days because I don't like sun a lot. But some move here from sunny climates and develop S.A.D. I don't think that's very common though. And then I have to ask because I always do; have you a job lined up? Remember we have a 12.1% unemployment rate.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

12 posts, read 19,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I guess my overall point is that people don't need misinformation. They need the truth.
I've observed/sensed the same attitude in the threads, leftcoastee. I've traveled over large areas of Oregon in several trips over the last few years. The anti-California attitude is understandable, considering that so many retiring Californians have flooded into once quaint and beautiful towns with ready cash in hand after selling their Cal homes at enormous profit, to buy Oregon homes, driving up the average cost of homes beyond the reach of native Oregonians entering into the market as they form families. It would **** me off too.

But one can't generalize about Californians. We're not all vacuous capitalists who want to take over Oregon and turn it into California. I've lived in Iowa for years, and must move back to the West coast to regain certain basic "quality of life" requirements. I happen to like Oregon, and California is just not feasable for me. Gee, so sue me.

I do know times have been tough in Oregan for a few years now. One can't blame people for wanting to discourage newcomers, but those of us wanting to move there need to consider the source of the information, and make our own judgements. I just can't live in Siberia for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland