Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeglass View Post
If you value having at least one day without rain - know that you will only get that in Portland from early July to mid to late September. We moved to Portland in 1997 from Southern California (by the way, Oregonians HATE Californians and will tell you to your face) and we moved back to California in 2000. I could not take one more winter there. The last winter we were there it rained 93!!! days IN A ROW. O M G, if there is a sunbreak in April and it hits 60 degrees, they are breakin' out the bermuda shorts, switching from their Doc Marten's to their openwork Birkenstock's, throwing on the tank top, donning the sunglasses and calling it "summer." Portland and Seattle have the highest suicide rates in the country. They have a larger than usual Goth group and everyone wears a lot of black up there. There is also the old hippie crowd with tie-dyed t-shirts and peasant skirts galore who don't realize it's not 1965 and "The Dawn of Destruction," or "The Age of Aquarius," anymore. If they're freakin' going to San Francisco they by God are gonna wear a flower in their hair 'til they get there even if it takes until 2025 and they'll be hugging every tree along the way, assisting those who wish to commit suicide and saving the Spotted Owl. Then there are the preppy types ("oh, the Gap, I love the Gap") and finally the "I can't decide if I'm a truckdriver or a cowboy" crowd. The guys wear wrangler jeans with roper boots and huge silver belt buckles and above the waist it's a flannel shirt and a baseball cap with the bill curled tight and John Deere or Mack Truck emblems on them (think Larry the Cable Guy.) There are the "ivory girls," too. They wear no make-up, Mom jeans, Nike's or Birkenstocks and flannel (Oregonians love flannel) shirts. All native Oregonians would just as soon that you don't move to their state. They feel it's becoming too crowded and over populated with people who want to come in and build planned communities with - Oh No! - homeowner's associations, "those dam-ed Californians, if we want a car up on blocks in our front yard right in the middle of Milwaukie (a suburb of Portland), who the he-- are they to say we can't." So, welcome to Oregon and plan on doing EVERYTHING in the rain. Kids sports - in the rain, camping - in the rain, yard work - in the rain, shopping or a night out on the town - in the rain. You better not carry an umbrella either, "you big sissy - it doesn't rain that much here." So, welcome to Oregon, you won't need your sunblock or moisturizer. Enjoy!
Wow. You really ought to consider going to work for the National Weather Service. You apparently have access to factual information that they don't, considering the most consecutive days of rainfall they have recorded in Portland was 42 ... and that was in 1872. I doubt you remember that. Most recently, they've got a record of 29 days ... in which a whopping 10" of rain managed to fall. 1998 saw a whole 26 consecutive days. Perhaps that's the year you're speaking of? 1999 didn't even make the list.

Being an Oregonian, I can tell you we don't hate Californians. We don't think kindly of anyone (including Californians) with your mixture of superiority/angry attitude, though. Maybe that's why you had the comments made to your face you say you have.

And obviously, having been a faux Oregonian, you aren't aware. There is NO season when Birkenstocks aren't standard foot apparel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleysoda View Post
oh I'm pretty sure there has been other SUV's parked there....

funny how the same SUV, in the same parking lot, and 2 different times, gets egged. the first time the car next to me got hit with one egg also, but looked like it was one that just missed mine, so other than that, I've never heard of anyone else.

It washed right off so I'm glad they didn't do anything else.....
I don't know ... how close were you parked to the kitchen? Maybe there's a disgruntled kitchen employee.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wow. You really ought to consider going to work for the National Weather Service. You apparently have access to factual information that they don't, considering the most consecutive days of rainfall they have recorded in Portland was 42 ... and that was in 1872. I doubt you remember that. Most recently, they've got a record of 29 days ... in which a whopping 10" of rain managed to fall. 1998 saw a whole 26 consecutive days. Perhaps that's the year you're speaking of? 1999 didn't even make the list.

Being an Oregonian, I can tell you we don't hate Californians. We don't think kindly of anyone (including Californians) with your mixture of superiority/angry attitude, though. Maybe that's why you had the comments made to your face you say you have.

And obviously, having been a faux Oregonian, you aren't aware. There is NO season when Birkenstocks aren't standard foot apparel.
It was on the news and, yes, there were 93 consecutive days with rainfall. I never said it poured all day. I freakin' lived there and saw it and felt it every day of it.

And with regard to the Birkenstocks, I never said they weren't worn all year. I said peeps with the Doc Marten's switched over. And, yes, everyone - Oregonians wear Birkenstock Sandals all year....WITH SOCKS even, oh, how fashionable.

The comment about Californians was made to me while I was innocently sitting in my car at the gas station, unable to fill it myself because Oregon is right to work state, and someone saw my California plates and yelled across from their car "Hey, Cali chick, the 5 runs south, why don't you take it." My daughter stopped to ask for directions from someone on a neighborhood corner and was told "we don't want your kind here and we don't need your kind here," she didn't know what he was talking about and said, "what's my kind" and he said "Californian's" again, seeing her car plates. So, obviously, you don't know what the heck you're talking about. My entire family, Mother, Father, Sister, Brother-in-law and kids, all moved there in 1990. They said the same thing about not being well received as Californians. Unfortunately, they all still live up there through no fault of their own, but circumstances, so, we go up there a lot to see my family. I know the deal in Oregon, so stop trying to act like it's not exactly as I stated. If you don't like the facts, that casts no aspersions on me, you just don't like hearing the truth about Oregon and are trying to spin it back.

Last edited by ceeglass; 03-20-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Birkenstock Sandals all year....WITH SOCKS even, oh, how fashionable.
Now those people with socks and sandals, they are aliens or people so isolated from society they have suffered brain damage.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 AM

121 posts, read 374,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricov View Post
i don't know ... How close were you parked to the kitchen? Maybe there's a disgruntled kitchen employee.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
It was on the news and, yes, there were 93 consecutive days with rainfall. I never said it poured all day. I freakin' lived there and saw it and felt it every day of it.
So you're saying you think that the National Weather Service's statistics means that it rained non-stop on those days. And they just overlooked the 93 days in their statistics? You think if it "poured all day" that it would have rained only 10" in those 29 days?

You freakin' lived here, so you know, hmm? I have found a reference in someone's blog to the fact that from November 1, 1998 to February 28, 1999 there were 93 days with rain. That would be out of the 120 days in that time period. That's not what consecutive means.

It's a fact, you're wrong. Even if you freakin' lived here. And I love facts. I just like them to be facts, not someone's made-up "fact" they're using to try to prove their point.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Now those people with socks and sandals, they are aliens or people so isolated from society they have suffered brain damage.
or they're from California, same thing....

Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
If you don't like the facts, that casts no aspersions on me, you just don't like hearing the truth about Oregon and are trying to spin it back.
then why don't you tell the whole truth instead of embellishing on some negative things here, like the real reason why people in Oregon dislike Californians for starting homeowners associations. It has nothing to do with jacked up cars in front lawns, it's more like them starting the homeowners associations to intimidate locals who live by them, (like what happened to my parents) by being rude, making up stupid rules amongst themselves and finding any reason to slap a fine on them, making them feel like they're outsiders, intimidating them enough to put their house up for sale, so their friends in California will move up also.
and you make it sound like local people like having their cars jacked up in their front yard, like your moving onto a reservation. (I can say that, I'm 1/3rd dakota sioux...)

get real (I tried to curse)

Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
Making them feel like outsiders! What a joke. My 3 daughters and I were shopping at the Clackamas Town Center. We were up on the second level headed toward where the walkway veers to the left if your facing 82nd and 2 guys were leaning against the rail staring at us. As we got close, one of them said "hey, can I ask you ladies something?" I quizzically said, "okay, I guess." He said, "Are you from California?" Quite surprised and somewhat humored I answered "yes, we are - how'd you know?" He socked his friend in the arm and said "see, I told ya, you owe me 20 bro. I can spot them a mile away." I said, "how could you tell, do people from California look different to you, do we have a 3rd eye or something?" He said no, "you girls are all blonde, all tan and Californian's always look like they're going somewhere even when they're not." I responded "well, we did go somewhere, we came to the mall, should we have worn our pajamas?" He said, "no, it's just I know a Californian's look." So I told him, "yeah, I know exactly what you're saying. I can spot an Oregonian from a mile off myself. Have a great evening guys." And we walked off. And, by the way, I have seen people at the store in their pajamas and fuzzy slippers with Duck heads on the toe in Oregon City at Albertson's in the Berry Hill Shopping Center. Haven't seen that at Albies here yet. I've never had my car broken into and everything stolen out of it, nor my daughters car broken into and everything taken like we did at the Clackamas Town Center in Oregon. I've never dropped a daughter off at school and seen kids openly smoking pot in the parking lot as parents drop off and local police drive by on Willamette Drive like I did at West Linn High in Oregon. And when you look like you can't believe what your seeing have them wave it at you in circles and put it to their mouth, take a hit and pass it on, like they're daring you to do something about it.

I know for a fact I could drive through Milwaukie or Clackamas TODAY and find a non-functional clunker in a yard or driveway and maybe even covered with a half there tarp. Moss growing on roofs is another common lovely site.

....Tennis anyone? No, it's raining today? How about tomorrow? Oh, it's raining then as well. Then let's make it Monday....tsk, tsk, tsk...rain again, hm. Okay, Tues. or Wed. will work. You've got to be kidding, rain's in the forecast for those days, too.
.......Such is life in Portland, huh?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM

lol!

I'm calling BS on this, they are entertaining though. you should be writing books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland