Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times

Advertisements

All over the Oregon board is regular complaints about the lack of diversity in the area. Those dam white people, why don't they move out so the area can have the demographics more like America! Would Portland be heaven if the people were more like they are in the wonderful cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
While I'd welcome people of any ethnicity, culture, etc. to join us, There's nothing wrong with Portland as it is.

And while I'd agree that San Francisco is a wonderful city, that's just about the last word I'd use to describe Los Angeles.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
And while I'd agree that San Francisco is a wonderful city, that's just about the last word I'd use to describe Los Angeles.
Agreed. L.A. is the anti-model of a wonderful city. When Portland was defining itself back in the 1960's and 1970's, the oft-heard phrase "Don't Californicate Oregon!" was aimed at keeping Portland from treading the same path that ruined so many of California's cities.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM

I am not talking about the political or physical side of those two California cities, I am talking demographically. If you could snap your fingers and the demographics of Portland would suddenly be 50% people of color (with equal economic and class mix of today) like LA or San Francisco, would Portland be a better place to live?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Have you ever really been to Portland??

There's the Mexicans, Asians, East Indians, Russians, Whites, Blacks, and combination of all of the above.

That seems like diversity to me.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Default I know Portland well

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Have you ever really been to Portland??

There's the Mexicans, Asians, East Indians, Russians, Whites, Blacks, and combination of all of the above.

That seems like diversity to me.
Yes, I know there are some minorities in Portland and I visit family there twice a year, but demographically many people complain Portland and the rest of Oregon is to white. So I wonder if others felt demographics more similar to California would be preferred?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Yes, I know there are some minorities in Portland and I visit family there twice a year, but demographically many people complain Portland and the rest of Oregon is to white. So I wonder if others felt demographics more similar to California would be preferred?
I've lived here for decades and have yet to hear complaints about Portland's demographics. I agree that the rest of Oregon tends to be white as is probably the case with many rural areas across the country.

No!! Kalifornicating Oregon is not preferred!!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
I really enjoy Portland's diversity! Portland may not be as diverse as LA or SF, but Portland is still a heck of a lot more diverse than many other places in the country! (I know, I have since lived in Montana and Vermont.) If someone is looking for someplace like LA or SF, they should move to LA or SF. Yes Portland is different, but that is the point: it is its own unique place! And the diversity in Portland is ever increasing anyway, so in time, it may be that ultra diverse place that people may be looking for.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Is Portland diverse enough today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I really enjoy Portland's diversity! Portland may not be as diverse as LA or SF, but Portland is still a heck of a lot more diverse than many other places in the country! (I know, I have since lived in Montana and Vermont.) If someone is looking for someplace like LA or SF, they should move to LA or SF. Yes Portland is different, but that is the point: it is its own unique place! And the diversity in Portland is ever increasing anyway, so in time, it may be that ultra diverse place that people may be looking for.
But is Portland diverse enough now? Who knows if it will be diverse in the future, maybe the opposite will happen as many immigrants are leaving due to the poor economy.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
But is Portland diverse enough now? Who knows if it will be diverse in the future, maybe the opposite will happen as many immigrants are leaving due to the poor economy.
Diverse enough? For what? For who? Diversity for just diversity's sake is kind of silly in my opinion, but I do recognize its benefits. Portland is what it is, and is actually quite diverse. You can't just wave a magic wand and change it. Right now everyone pretty much gets along here... The Vietnamese, Bosnians, Arabs, Thais, Chinese, Russians, Latinos, Whites, and Blacks, and I think that will continue to be the case in Oregon at least.

Some estimates predict that Oregon will become increasingly Hispanic/Latino at a much faster rate than the rest of the country (presumably due to its proximity to California and since it is more easily accessible than many other areas of the country from Mexico). That is perfectly fine with me and many people I think, but just let it happen however it happens. Portland isn't really high on the international radar (aside from Mexico perhaps), so it's naturally not going to receive that many immigrants and that's just how it is.

Still, Oregon is a place that basically welcomes immigrants, and was built on immigration (at least from other parts of the country). Twenty years ago the Oregon legislature passed a resolution that embraced cultural and language diversity at a time when many states were passing discriminatory English-only laws and making English the only official language in their states.

Quote:
WHEREAS the diverse ethnic and linguistic communities have contributed to the social and economic prosperity of Oregon; and
WHEREAS it is the welcomed responsibility and opportunity of Oregon to respect and faciliate the efforts of all cultural, ethnic and linguistic segments of the population to become full participants in our community; and
WHEREAS Oregon's economic well-being depends heavily on foreign trade and international exchange and one out of five jobs is directly linked to foreign trade and international exchange; and
WHEREAS we wish to protect and promote the multilingual nature of communication that currently exists in Oregon and to build trust and understanding; and
WHEREAS English is already the predominant language of Oregon and legislation imposing English as the official language of Oregon impairs our pluralistic ideals; and
WHEREAS our federal courts have recognized that English-only rules can have an adverse impact on protected groups and constituties discrimination; now, therefore,
Be It Resolved by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Oregon:
That the use of diverse languages in business, government and private affairs, and the presence of diverse cultures is welcomed, encouraged, and protected in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: