Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just visiting and living are two different animals. Next time you visit, I will show you what people have to see on a daily basis. I am not saying other cities aren't worse but as I have said time and time again I do not live there I live here. It's not that it's dangerous so much as it is annoying to be asked for or demanded of money each and every day early in the morning on certain routes on the way to work. And they do know the routes. Most folks from out of town don't.

I have posted before that the neighborhood homeless are more gentle souls trying to make a living out of doing odd jobs or collecting cans and bottles. But recently a friend told me that a co-worker's neighbor had a homeless guy bang on her door and demand money. She called the cops. Sure this is one isolated incident and will probably never happen to me or anyone I know but the point is, there are homeless or street people or whatever you want to call them who do bother others and to come here for a day or two and declare it doesn't exist is like calling a woman beautiful before you see her without her makeup.
Yeah I'm not debating the fact that there are homeless people there, I'm just trying to put it in perspective from an outside persons point of view. As one person pointed out, where I live in Sacramento, the downtown felt a hell of a lot more dangerous than Portland. I felt that way on my first visit to Sacramento, and I knew just from that one visit long before I actually moved here.

You have to put it in the context of the size of the city. Portland is a major metropolis; one of the 23 largest metro areas in the U.S. So, to me to continually bring up the homeless and crazies issue, one that hasn't visited would think it ranges way, way up on the list of hobo havens when compared to other major cities.

But, it doesn't, and it's not even remotely close to any other big city I have visited. So, why even bring it up? To me, that's on par with continually talking about Portland's skyscrapers, "yeah, they have so many, huge buildings downtown . . ". So then someone comes, expecting a smaller version of New York and they just find a relatively average (though beautiful) skyline. It's a given that all big cities have skyscrapers, just like all big cities have a homeless population.

But, why even bring it up if it's not a blaring problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM

48 posts, read 101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
But, it doesn't, and it's not even remotely close to any other big city I have visited. So, why even bring it up? To me, that's on par with continually talking about Portland's skyscrapers, "yeah, they have so many, huge buildings downtown . . ". So then someone comes, expecting a smaller version of New York and they just find a relatively average (though beautiful) skyline. It's a given that all big cities have skyscrapers, just like all big cities have a homeless population.

I think there are people in this forum that have a vested interest in getting people to NOT move to Portland.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM

73 posts, read 232,047 times
That might be true, JLR29, but many will leave on their own because of the job scene or the weather, or both.

Quote:
Just visited Portland and spent the better part of the weekend there on my way to Seattle. My thoughts:

(1) Portland has AMAZING views all around the city, and an abundance of natural beauty to indulge in. What a treat to be in a city where you can drive into the hills on one side, or take the tram on the other and have a picturesque view. Not many ciites have anything comparable to that.

(2) The transportation was awesome, and I found the city very easy to navigate. After about 5 hours in the city I already knew my way downtown, and for anyone that has had an hour long commute each way like I have, having such accessible public transportation would be a HUGE benefit.

(3) Where are all of these bums and street kids supposedly at?? I roamed literally the entire downtown with apprehension from mid day Friday to late Friday night, expecting to be harrassed like people keep posting on here. What I found was about the cleanest, safest downtown of any major city I have ever been too. In fact, there was such a lack of anything even semi threatening that I started driving around downtown (and Pearl) literally looking for vagrants. Didn't find any.

I think this is so vastly overblown on this board that the people posting about the subject of crime, homelessness and street kids really should take a trip to San Francisco, a city with a REAL homeless problem, highest in the nation. I've lived near there and like most people, never found that to be a problem though. So why are so many complaining about it in Portland?

(4) The architecture was amazing. I loved the designs of buildings on the Southwest hills. There are a lot of very unique buildings and structures to explore for those of us who like me, love the history that is mixed into and revealed by the design of a city.

(5) No sales tax and really cheap food. I couldn't believe the cost of a gallon of milk at the store. Of course, for this to be a benefit, you'd obviously have to keep the same salary level when moving, which I've heard is a tough task with the Oregon economy.

All in all, Portland reminded me a smaller version of San Francisco in a lot of ways. It had many of the positive aspects, but did not have the congestion, street people, and wreckless drivers you find in San Francisco.
I live here because (1) I was born here, not raised here and had always liked it and wanted to live here. But there are liabilities here, just like everywhere. I am still in shock over the lower salaries. I lived in San Francisco for many years, and yes, it's like San Francisco used to be (only better), but in the past two years with things down the tubes economically, people are just as nasty, just as uptight, just as rude as you'll find anywhere else. You're just doing it in a nicer area - for 4 months a year!

Maybe you should take a drive down 82nd or out Johnson Creek Blvd. and realize that Portland like every city, has its yucky areas. Portland is very wonderful, but it's very polarized here. And we all know that's never going away - not here, and not on a national level.

And by the way, they have one-hour commutes here too! And the news coverage mentions Hwy 26/Vista Ridges 30,000 times more than anywhere else. As if people didn't live elsewhere in the Portland Metro area and need information as well! Don't be fooled into thinking people don't have long commutes here.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
That might be true, JLR29, but many will leave on their own because of the job scene or the weather, or both.

I live here because (1) I was born here, not raised here and had always liked it and wanted to live here. But there are liabilities here, just like everywhere. I am still in shock over the lower salaries. I lived in San Francisco for many years, and yes, it's like San Francisco used to be (only better), but in the past two years with things down the tubes economically, people are just as nasty, just as uptight, just as rude as you'll find anywhere else. You're just doing it in a nicer area - for 4 months a year!

Maybe you should take a drive down 82nd or out Johnson Creek Blvd. and realize that Portland like every city, has its yucky areas. Portland is very wonderful, but it's very polarized here. And we all know that's never going away - not here, and not on a national level.

And by the way, they have one-hour commutes here too! And the news coverage mentions Hwy 26/Vista Ridges 30,000 times more than anywhere else. As if people didn't live elsewhere in the Portland Metro area and need information as well! Don't be fooled into thinking people don't have long commutes here.
I don't doubt any of what you said at all. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of these things are to be expected in any major city. But, when people continually bring up the negatives (which should be a given), then someone from the outside expects an entirely different experience than the one that I had.

IMO Sacramento has a bigger homeless problem than Portland. The hobos here literally dig through the apartment complex dumpsters in broad daylight, and no one says a word. They hit you up for change in front of the Midtown Safeway, which is a nice area, and god forbid you ride the lightrail here from downtown heading towards South Sac. The very first day I tried that I was bombarded by stories from ex-cons, druggies, etc., and that continued until I stopped riding 2 months later.

Even with all of that though, people rarely speak of Sacramento in terms of it's homeless or vagrant problem. It's really a non issue, because most people know that element exists in every major city.

What I am saying is that the image created through a lot of these posts is going to unjustly sway the opinion of many people that would like to move there.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just visiting and living are two different animals. Next time you visit, I will show you what people have to see on a daily basis. I am not saying other cities aren't worse but as I have said time and time again I do not live there I live here. It's not that it's dangerous so much as it is annoying to be asked for or demanded of money each and every day early in the morning on certain routes on the way to work. And they do know the routes. Most folks from out of town don't.

I have posted before that the neighborhood homeless are more gentle souls trying to make a living out of doing odd jobs or collecting cans and bottles. But recently a friend told me that a co-worker's neighbor had a homeless guy bang on her door and demand money. She called the cops. Sure this is one isolated incident and will probably never happen to me or anyone I know but the point is, there are homeless or street people or whatever you want to call them who do bother others and to come here for a day or two and declare it doesn't exist is like calling a woman beautiful before you see her without her makeup.
I am not doubting that what you say is true. I think it all depends upon your tolerance level. Could you agree that by and large, other than the bad areas, Portland is a pretty safe city?

Even though I don't live there, I'd have to disagree with your opinion differs at least on this point. You are right, I don't know where the really terrible areas are, but my god, if I scoured most of the city and didn't see even a hint of it, then shouldn't that at least lend some credence to the opinion that it doesn't really rise to the level of a serious problem?

Again, from my point of view, when the homeless issue is brought up time and time again on these boards, people begin to get the impression that the entire city is just filled with these people everywhere you go. If that's the case, I really should have had some exposure to it, no matter how minimal.

I've been to Portland 8 or 9 times now, and I always leave with the same impression; it's a very beautiful, incredibly safe city for it's size.

As I posted, the last time I was there I visited a friend who lives in North Portland. As I drove through, I could clearly tell I was in the seedy area of the city. But really, it was nothing that scared me all that much.

I mean, I used to work in Oakland and I've literally seen someone pull out a gun no more than 10 feet from me. Did it scare me? Of course. Now THAT, and the fact that the homicide rate in that area is among the nations highest, is something that ANYONE thinking of moving to Oakland should know.

But do you really think that people moving to Portland need to hear about this homeless problem? Serious question. Is it that big of a problem? think anyone moving to a big city knows to expect that in certain areas.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Quote:
Because it IS a problem, especially considering the small size of Portland. And dude, you live in Sacramento. Not Seattle. Not Portland. A Seattleite is going to know more about the Seattle freeze than you. And a Portlander is going to know more about the pandhandler/homeless/street kid problem than you. Stop trolling around. Oakland is like one of THE MOST dangerous cities in the country. Everyone has their prejudices and biases, but you seem to have a really skewed perspective there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR29 View Post
I think there are people in this forum that have a vested interest in getting people to NOT move to Portland.
I can't speak for other posters, but I never said the panhandlers were a reason not to move to Portland. I just think it is something people need to be aware of, particularly if they want to live downtown. If you live outside of downtown it's not an issue until you have to go there and then you can deal with it because it's just once in a while.

Overall Portland is a very safe city, but the panhandler/homeless problem IS a problem that people cannot just brush under the table simply because "bigger cities have bigger problems" with the same issues.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Because it IS a problem, especially considering the small size of Portland. And dude, you live in Sacramento. Not Seattle. Not Portland. A Seattleite is going to know more about the Seattle freeze than you. And a Portlander is going to know more about the pandhandler/homeless/street kid problem than you. Stop trolling around. Oakland is like one of THE MOST dangerous cities in the country. Everyone has their prejudices and biases, but you seem to have a really skewed perspective there.

I can't speak for other posters, but I never said the panhandlers were a reason not to move to Portland. I just think it is something people need to be aware of, particularly if they want to live downtown. If you live outside of downtown it's not an issue until you have to go there and then you can deal with it because it's just once in a while.

Overall Portland is a very safe city, but the panhandler/homeless problem IS a problem that people cannot just brush under the table simply because "bigger cities have bigger problems" with the same issues.
Buddy, I'll post whatever I want on here whenever, alright? Bottom line, I posted a thread about how beautiful the city was, period. Re-read the thread if you are confused. This wasn't supposed to be a debate about homeless people.

I posted on the freeze out of curiosity becuase I was/am contemplating a move there, and I never pretended to understand it or know the city.

You say it's a problem in Portland, and I say I've been there about 8 or 9 times and not seen a whif of anything. Nothing. Nada. You've got a right to your opinion, but I ain't the one you are gonna bogard here or anywhere for that matter.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Quote:
Buddy, I'll post whatever I want on here whenever, alright? Bottom line, I posted a thread about how beautiful the city was, period. Re-read the thread if you are confused. This wasn't supposed to be a debate about homeless people.

I posted on the freeze out of curiosity becuase I was/am contemplating a move there, and I never pretended to understand it or know the city.

You say it's a problem in Portland, and I say I've been there about 8 or 9 times and not seen a whif of anything. Nothing. Nada. You've got a right to your opinion, but I ain't the one you are gonna bogard here or anywhere for that matter.
You can say whatever you want whenever you want. It's a free country, so they say. I say it's a problem in Portland and you're basically saying it isn't because you've visited and not seen the problem. I'm just saying us Portlanders would know better as to whether it is or isn't a problem. The way you come across, it's as if you think you know better than the people who live there ("...why even bring it up if it's not a blaring problem?"). I'm not saying that's what's going on with you, but that's the way your posts come across.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
The homeless or kids begging for money in Portland. TO ME, that has always been the signs of a very safe city. Almost NONE of those kids would survive anywhere else.

The fact that teens can get in trouble...hang around downtown SAFELY and get a little spare change as well is a pretty amazing fact.

Any other U.S. city, and it is more violent crime and significantly tougher characters that would view them as instant prey. Instead, they just kind of hang around the parks with little threat or problem.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
O M G ! why are you all arguing and back and forth over whether Portland does or does not have seedy areas and homeless people??????
The entire U.S. abounds with homeless,hungry people. The problem isn't the people; the problem is why there ARE homeless and hungry people in this country. Hate the problem-not the people. And possible assist in finding a resolution?

You all may as well agree to disagree. Same as if you're discussing the pros and cons of any city.

I love the area-good and bad. I'm tired of people putting it down. Like it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland