Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,460,602 times

Advertisements

I hope all these people that think they can move here without a job and "wing it somehow" until the economy gets better so they can find a job realize something.
Oregon is #2 in the nation for unemployment with Michigan being #1.
Oregon is so business unfriendly that we do not even com close to having the industrial and business base that Michigan has.

We aren't even in the middle of the nation with these stats....WE ARE #2 !!!!!!
There are 48 states in better condition than Oregon. 48 states!
So when the economy starts ramping up, how fast do you think good ole Oregon will start having new jobs appear?
We'll probably hit the #1 status with NO JOBS because there isn't the business base in Oregon to provide these jobs.

We are taxed high (although we have no income tax, there are plenty of "hidden" taxes on everything else), cost of living is high, real estate is high in cost and property taxes, and wages are low -IF- you can find a job.
I heard today that Oregon's legislature is thinking about increasing taxes on the rich.
They will just move out of state. Then where will we be?

Oregon is well on it's way to being the next California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,153,401 times
You skipped "the sky is falling."

Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,062,745 times
No way, we have yet to elect an actor to be the leader of the state.

When people vote of fantasy land over lecherousness, then we are on the downward slide....

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,674,274 times
The question becomes, why is Oregon #2 in the country in unemployment? PDXMikePDX kind of touched on it, but what is it exactly about Oregon's economy that make downturns more "down" than the rest of the country. Anyone want to take a stab at this? Same thing happened in the early 80's recession.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM

48 posts, read 139,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The question becomes, why is Oregon #2 in the country in unemployment? PDXMikePDX kind of touched on it, but what is it exactly about Oregon's economy that make downturns more "down" than the rest of the country. Anyone want to take a stab at this? Same thing happened in the early 80's recession.
When the economy goes south, businesses must do what they can to cut costs. If those costs include high taxes & high cost of business & difficulty gaining approval to do anything, relocation is a prime cost cutter. I know if I own a business (not some head shop or snowboarding shop), I will place that business where I know I can get hard workers & the cost of business is low. I don't want to pay more to exist then hire a bunch of potheads.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,274 times
A few thoughts:
1. High minimum wage. In other states you can hire three hourly workers for the cost of two hourly workers here. That's one person without a job.
2. Historic industry base here is drying up - logging/timber.
3. General lack of interest in developing a vibrant industrial/corporate base, as this stinks of non-environmentally-friendly sustainability and greedy suits.
4. The business dream here is to open a three person funky shopping store. Not a lot of potential employment or revenue generation in that.
5. High costs for property, in part due to urban growth boundaries and other hurdles. Why build an office here if you can build one for half price in other state?
6. Location in a relatively isolated part of the country. It adds difficulty in terms of shipping products and business travel.
7. I'm not sure "high taxes" are as big a reason as they are touted to be. Corporate taxes appear to be pretty low, yet that hasn't resulted in companies flocking in.

I've lived here about 4 1/2 years, and those are my general observations.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
7. I'm not sure "high taxes" are as big a reason as they are touted to be. Corporate taxes appear to be pretty low, yet that hasn't resulted in companies flocking in.
I agree. This was discussed in another thread where a composite index was used to calculate how business could fare among the states. Oregon ranked in the middle of the pack.

//www.city-data.com/forum/8355009-post21.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland