Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times

Advertisements

What area or suburb of Portland would you suggest for the following lifestyles...

Tattoo/artistic/rock/bar scene(brewpub)

Hippie scene/rasta/green living

trying to move to the portland area and just want to know what its about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM

42 posts, read 132,968 times
Sounds to me like you are looking for something like the Hawthorne, Belmont, and Hollywood districts. I would sugest the Hawthorne District as a first choice. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
+1 for Hawthorne

Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 AM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,814 times
check out hollywood. hawthorn is slowly becoming the next nw 18th (hippy district turned yuppie) with the condos

Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Ditto on h8n's response.
Hawthorne's glory days are over.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Dont want to sound stupid but is there anywhere I can get info on the areas that you are suggesting? I have looked on here and found little info that has been helpful.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
I really like Hawthorne & think you'd acclimate to it very well. But it is definitely changing.

I just found this map which gives a very good over view of all the different neighborhoods. It certainly supports what other have said in this thread. Pics, demographics, access to fwys, etc are all included in the site.

Portland Neighborhoods: Information about Portland, Oregon

You can try contacting People's Co-op on SW 2st - they have a community organization which *may* be able to help you, just ask for info. They're not Rasta, but green & community-oriented & have been in existence nearly 40 yrs. You can check them out on Wikipedia, too.

There's a vegan strip mall at 21st and Sandy, which includes a tat parlor, I believe. It's a few blocks from what that map lists as the Hollywood District.

I'm just trying to get you an idea here. Hope it helps ~

Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
h8n

Thanks SeeBee. That map is perfect.

To give some details:
1) Alberta -> better off (yuppie)
2) Beaumont -> working class
3) Beaverton -> burbs
8) Hollywood -> mod
1) Ladd -> money / familys
13) Lloyd -> combination of apartment living mall workers & yuppies. I lived in this district & LOVED it. I'll be moving back to here as soon as I find a job.
4/20/6 -> money
18) Northwest -> use to be just like Hawthorn; now it is all Money.
7) Hawthorn -> hippy becoming money

--- if you have ever been in Houston, TX, check out Westheimer / Montrose. This use to be the gay / alternative area of town. Was the best part of Houston. As soon as yuppies realized how cool gays were, they all moved in driving up the prices & chasing off the gays. Same thing happened in NW (21st/23rd) & now happening with Hawthorn except rather than chasing off gays, the yuppies are chasing off the hippies. Not 100% done yet but in process.

We like same as you & are looking to move back to Beaumont, Lloyd, or Hollywood. It is wonderful as there are 4 grocery stores / drug stores in walking distance so we did coupons & walked everywhere. Lloyd & Hollywood are also within walking distance of the max..... a big plus.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

151 posts, read 233,280 times
Hawthorne, Alberta. Not sure why Hollywood is being proposed. I don't identify it with what you're asking for at all. Maybe I'm just there at the wrong times or something.

(And of course, the common advice on this forum: visit first to check out areas, try to find a job first)

Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
h8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPDXGuy View Post
Hawthorne, Alberta. Not sure why Hollywood is being proposed. I don't identify it with what you're asking for at all. Maybe I'm just there at the wrong times or something.

(And of course, the common advice on this forum: visit first to check out areas, try to find a job first)
i couldn't agree more. find an apartment first. we moved to Portland from Illinois & had to fly in & find a place to rent in 3 days. We got a place in the Pearl district... after actually moving in we found out it was the yuppie area. Good thing we only rented. We then moved over by Lloyd Center to an apartment & fell in love with the neighborhood. We looked @ Hawthorn but it was becoming far to trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland