Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 PM

622 posts, read 2,711,078 times

Advertisements

I really hope someone can help me on this...

So, I have done research upon research about Portland and Oregon in general. I have learned about the good and the bad, the arguments, the neighborhoods, the people, the politics, the economy, even the salmon berries... and after considering all of the pros and cons, I have decided that yes, Oregon is still definitely my place! I am in love with it and can't wait to move.

However, one question remains: I want to move to Portland, but what if it is too urban for me? Should I move to Eugene or some smaller Oregon town instead?

You see, I am from the upper peninsula of Michigan (called the "U.P."). It is about the size of Denmark yet the population is only about 300,000. I grew up in the middle of the woods, surrounded by lakes that feel like oceans, great people, no traffic lights... I had to drive 40 miles to get to a movie theater, there were 47 people in my graduating class.

I am in the suburbs of Detroit now, and ever since I moved here 2 years ago for school I have been miserable, depressed. It's forced me to quit school. I have no life here. My life is a mess. To make a long, long story short, I've figured out what it is that I need the most in order for to be happy somewhere:

the woods.

This weekend, I found a "park" about a mile from me that was rather hidden- not too big (google maps says its about a 1,000ft x 1,000ft square). It wasn't a park in the sense that it had a baseball field and swingset and benches, no- it just had woods, and trails in it. I was home! I walked way off the path, my recent edition of Poetry Magazine tucked underneath my arm, and sat down by a giant tree to read for about 2 or 3 hours. No one came near except the birds and the squirrels.

I felt at peace.

I didn't have to drive through crazy traffic to get there. I wasn't surrounded by hundreds of people all trying to escape like I was. It was a small square of home in metro Detroit. And it made all the difference in the world.

Now, why not move back to the U.P. you ask? I'm moving because I'm looking for a place that, unlike my home, has culture, progressive people, art, music, and tons to do... but also, unlike Detroit Suburbia, has nature, solitude, beauty, and a small town feel. I think I hate suburbia. There is nothing to do here- it lacks all of those things: nature and culture.

I know Portland has a small-town feel, and I do love many things about the city life... but I need to live near a place where I can hike in the woods, walk by the water, and find some peace/solitude on a daily basis. Even if that means I'm poor. I don't care. IT IS MY TOP PRIORITY.

I understand that Forest Park is huge. But it sounds too expensive to live near it (I'm young, and just starting out in my career). Someone also told me to bring my mace if I go! What!? Is it unsafe? Will I have to endure horrible traffic just to get to Forest Park? If so, count me out. But, I also know that there are lots of other parks around Portland. Are they full of trails? Easy to get to? Crowded? On google earth I see trees all along the Willamette River... can you walk in there?

So, having said all that, what do you think: Portland or some smaller town?

Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help! And thanks for listening to by long-winded ramblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 PM

331 posts, read 1,852,040 times
Hi Maria:

Having lived in Portland, it had a big city feel to me. Based on what you are describing, a college town would be best for you. Corvallis has everything you are asking for and more. I don’t know what you do for a living but you are going to need a job to support you. I would take a look at the jobs section in the classifieds here:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/

You might want to take a look at places to rent. Newport is just a stone through away and Portland is not all that far nor is Eugene my number two pick for you. It will take you a lifetime to run out of things to do. You can learn more about Corvallis Parks here:

http://www.ci.corvallis.or.us/index....566&Itemid=507

A bit flat but you would like Eugene. It is not to big yet and work should be easy to find.

https://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...ecreation.html

126 will get you over to Florence, which is one of my favorite coastal cities. You can look Eugene jobs and places to live here:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/08/13/home.php (broken link)

The only things I miss about Michigan are the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village and flying up to Mackinaw Island for the day. I left Michigan 20 years ago and have not returned.

If it is going to be awhile before you move, I would subscribe to some local newspapers. Lastly, there is not a city in Oregon that you wouldn’t mind calling home. There is beauty and recreation everywhere you go.

Dan

Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM

wow- thank you so much for all that helpful information! i'll dig into it right away!

you are always so helpful!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:50 AM

so, lets just say i decide to just try out portland first and see how it goes (i may have a job lined up soon).

is mount tabor park nice? is forest park safe? is it hard to get to "the woods" around there? where would be the best places to live to be by "the woods"?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,474,148 times
My Dad came from Minnesota and I spent quite a bit of my time there when I was young. I understand how midwesterners use the term "the woods" and it doesn't really apply here. Much of the midwest was cleared for either farming or urbanization, and "the woods" were the remaining remnants that weren't. So in the Midwest, there tends to be a disassociation between Nature and urbanization -- your best bet for being close to natural areas would be in smaller towns. That's not quite the case here. Forest lands prevail all along the West Coast. Unlike the Midwest, there is considerable integration of natural features in urbanized areas out here. Some people have 500-year old fir trees in their backyards. The whole southern area of Portland from Clackamas down to West Linn is quite woodsy. People sometimes get lost in the forest at Tryon Creek Park.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,474,148 times
Yeah...this is Portland, too:

Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM

thanks! that really helped. i guess i didn't realize that other places weren't like that- i have always thought of it in terms of urbanization vs. nature. that is why i am... or was... so scared to move to portland. i thought: city = no nature.

i am so glad to learn this! this is exactly what i'm looking for. i feel much better about moving now.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,054,720 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...rk%2C_Portland
- that is also one of Portlands parks.
If you look up Portlands Forest Park it will give you some good links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...rk%2C_Portland - good link, some good pics
I was probably the one to tell you to take mace (and or a friend) when you go to Forest Park, or any park really, just cuz there are pervs and sickos everywhere, its not like there is daily attacks or whatnot, but it does happen and its always better to be safe then sorry.
just an interesting little note. A year or so ago, they actually found a man and his daughter living in Forest park. Wwwaaaayyyy back in the deep, in a hidden little cave/house. They had been there for at least a year, I think longer. Anyhow, very neat people, Dad had lost his job, and knew well how to live off the land. Wanted to raise his daughter his way w/o some of the negative aspects of sociaty today, so there they were. Appearently they were in excellent health, she had a better education than most kids her age, well adjusted polite girl, very nice dad. But obviously not okay for them to be living in a public park. - but that gives you an idea just how big and dense Forest Park is. Absolutly incredible place. You wont have any troubles finding somewhere in Oregon to get lost among the trees in!
Mount Tabor park is beautiful and full of history too. Look up Mount Tabor, oregon and you'll get some great links.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you come out here. - just like I keep repeating, RENT FIRST, that way you can take some time scouting around different areas in Oregon to find what suits you best.
GOod luck!
Tiffany

Old 09-12-2006, 03:34 PM

thanks, tiffany!

and yes, i am definitely renting first- i've yet to buy my first home. and from what i hear, its gonna be awhile before i can actually buy one anyways, the way prices are around there. maybe i will end up living in forest park, too...

Old 09-12-2006, 04:44 PM

334 posts, read 1,372,555 times
I've been to Detoit many times. This summer I visited Portland, and yeah you would definatly like it better. Look at pictures of the gorge and the mount hood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland