Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM

159 posts, read 409,191 times

Advertisements

What I have learned about Portland is that you cant judge a city by what others say from afar nor can you believe everything you read about a city from a message board. Sorry posters its true. Before I moved out here to Portland I had heard how difficult it would be for me to get an apartment because I was an unemployed college student but in reality that was far from the truth. I moved into an apartment within two weeks of being out here and my landlord was very nice and accommodating.

No, I don't live in one of the better neighborhoods in North and inner southeast Portland, but I feel comfortable and very safe in the apartment community where I reside. I live along Burnside and I hear police sirens all the time, even more than I heard in my 34 years living in Chicago ironically enough, but for the most part the neighborhood is decent and I haven't had any negative experiences thus far.

I noticed that the further in parts of Portland are very hip and reminds me of the young hipper areas of NYC and Chicago, but the farther out you go into southeast and east Portland near Gresham can feel very hickish like living in Terra Haute or Fort Wayne Indiana. Its different for me because being from Chicago its not an environment that I have a lot of experience in but I haven't had any problems thus far knock on wood.

I find Portlanders to be nice enough not very talkative or energetic but very cordial nonetheless. A bit hermit-like but nothing that I would call too weird or annoying. It would be nice if the MAX moved more like a train than a trolley. I guess 30+ years on public transportation in Chicago has spoiled me a little bit but I enjoy living here in Portland and I'm glad I decided to make Portland my new home.

I love the cool rainy weather here although its been nice and sunny and hasn't rained here in a few weeks, I like drinking black butte porter and Portland Brewing's Amber Ale, I like Heavenly donuts more than Voodoo donuts, I miss eating jerk chicken, frog legs and deep dish pizza from Chicago cant find any of these in Portland. Not many black barbershops here but with a small black guy populace kind of expected, I like that there's a 7 eleven or plaid Pantry open all night, I hate Safeway and think that they are a rip off, I love the food trucks, Thai and Lebanese food here, I don't like the sleepy nature of Portland 10 pm is bedtime for most people here or it seems like that to me.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Thanks for coming back and telling us how you're doing. It sounds like you made a good move.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,218 times
I think there is one deep-dish Chicago-style pizza place in Alberta.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
How far out are you? Have you been downtown or places like 12th and Hawthorne food carts after 10? We went for midnight fries the other day at the carts and it was packed on a Wednesday night...If you're out past 30th or so on Burnside it's definitely pretty sleepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
What I have learned about Portland is that you cant judge a city by what others say from afar nor can you believe everything you read about a city from a message board. Sorry posters its true. Before I moved out here to Portland I had heard how difficult it would be for me to get an apartment because I was an unemployed college student but in reality that was far from the truth. I moved into an apartment within two weeks of being out here and my landlord was very nice and accommodating.

No, I don't live in one of the better neighborhoods in North and inner southeast Portland, but I feel comfortable and very safe in the apartment community where I reside. I live along Burnside and I hear police sirens all the time, even more than I heard in my 34 years living in Chicago ironically enough, but for the most part the neighborhood is decent and I haven't had any negative experiences thus far.

I noticed that the further in parts of Portland are very hip and reminds me of the young hipper areas of NYC and Chicago, but the farther out you go into southeast and east Portland near Gresham can feel very hickish like living in Terra Haute or Fort Wayne Indiana. Its different for me because being from Chicago its not an environment that I have a lot of experience in but I haven't had any problems thus far knock on wood.

I find Portlanders to be nice enough not very talkative or energetic but very cordial nonetheless. A bit hermit-like but nothing that I would call too weird or annoying. It would be nice if the MAX moved more like a train than a trolley. I guess 30+ years on public transportation in Chicago has spoiled me a little bit but I enjoy living here in Portland and I'm glad I decided to make Portland my new home.

I love the cool rainy weather here although its been nice and sunny and hasn't rained here in a few weeks, I like drinking black butte porter and Portland Brewing's Amber Ale, I like Heavenly donuts more than Voodoo donuts, I miss eating jerk chicken, frog legs and deep dish pizza from Chicago cant find any of these in Portland. Not many black barbershops here but with a small black guy populace kind of expected, I like that there's a 7 eleven or plaid Pantry open all night, I hate Safeway and think that they are a rip off, I love the food trucks, Thai and Lebanese food here, I don't like the sleepy nature of Portland 10 pm is bedtime for most people here or it seems like that to me.......

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
. .............. I miss eating jerk chicken, frog legs and deep dish pizza from Chicago cant find any of these in Portland. ......
If it gets intolerable, you could always learn how to cook.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Just move back to that blue cess pool of Chicago if you have so many issues

Old 07-13-2013, 05:13 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Wow! That was rude. Just because he's missing a few things from home is no excuse for you to be so rude.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

That was way uncalled for. The OP is giving an honest assessment, both good and bad, about his own perspective and personal experiences in Portland. Nothing wrong with that unless you're convinced that Portland is heaven and not worthy of any criticism. What's more, Chicago is a great town and has tons to offer for all kinds of different people. No need to take such unwarranted shots at the place, just because you may not like it there, if you even know much about it to begin with.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:18 AM

131 posts, read 277,944 times
Quote:
I don't like the sleepy nature of Portland 10 pm is bedtime for most people here or it seems like that to me.......
That's not too terrible. My building in northwest shuts down around 7 p.m. It's full of children that go to bed super early. It is surprisingly more rigid and conservative in my neighborhood than I expected. But, I am sure it is just my neighborhood and landlord that are so uptight. I plan on buying next year so I can do normal things, like have a BBQ in the summertime without having to whisper conversation.
I, like you, recently moved here. You have to keep in mind that it takes a awhile in a new place to find your way and discover where it is you feel the most comfortable. Glad you're enjoying yourself so far!

"Just move back to that blue cess pool of Chicago if you have so many issues"--VTHokieFan

Sorry, I can't help myself.......this is totally lame.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
That was way uncalled for. The OP is giving an honest assessment, both good and bad, about his own perspective and personal experiences in Portland. Nothing wrong with that unless you're convinced that Portland is heaven and not worthy of any criticism. What's more, Chicago is a great town and has tons to offer for all kinds of different people. No need to take such unwarranted shots at the place, just because you may not like it there, if you even know much about it to begin with.
I counted 5 instances in the OP's post where Portland isn't meeting expectations because it isn't like Chicago. Sorry, that makes me a bit peeved. I have my criticisms of Portland too, a lot of them. I could've been more passive aggressive about it, but if the OP was giving his review in conversation it would've sounded like "Chicago this, Chicago that." It sounds the move was luke warm, and it sounds like the things that make Chicago unique, are better than the things that make Portland unique. And the things he likes about PDX, can be found in Chicago. It sounds like a pro/con analysis on a piece of paper wouldn't have substantiated a move after 34 years of living in a city that I feel the OP liked.

My apologies if the tone offended you. Perhaps I'm reading the original post wrong, and you could point out the outright positives he indicated about Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland