Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 AM

47 posts, read 113,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am not joking here, in my younger wilder days I was at night club and made friends with this cool, hip dreddie guy. The guy slept in his car in NW Portland in this low-income neighborhood, mostly composed of immigrants. Nobody there seem to care that he slept in his car and he was like a welcomed guest.

Anyhow, the guy took me out to ZUpans one night and says government gives him all of these free food stamps and that he wanted to just use them up cause he didn't know what to do with all of them. So, the guy bought me some nice smoked salmon and other treats as a friendly gesture and bought himself some stuff too. I was shocked, I worked a 50 hour a week job back then and got paid $10/hr. I could barely afford to eat and lived in Felony Flats at the time. THis guy was living in his car and working part time as a DJ at a club. This guy took me out to eat and he was homeless. WHo paid for my meal that night, I would like to know?
nice example but that happens everywhere just so you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 AM

5 posts, read 20,993 times
I am not an expert, but I think that our minimum wage is high and that makes the cost of goods go up because the growers, and people who work in the stores to stock, ship, etc. are paid more. Many of those veggies that taste so good are shipped in from as far away as south America. That will add to costs too.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmattie View Post
Many of those veggies that taste so good are shipped in from as far away as south America. That will add to costs too.
Actually I have found that the veggies that are shipped in are often about half the price of the locally-grown ones. When I think about how much money must be spent in fuel and shipping costs to bring those goods up here, it boggles the mind.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Actually I have found that the veggies that are shipped in are often about half the price of the locally-grown ones. When I think about how much money must be spent in fuel and shipping costs to bring those goods up here, it boggles the mind.
Its called "Economies of Scale."

Also, chances are the local veggies aren't grown with crap like pesticides.

OTOH, we have many farmer's markets here in the Sacramento area and the prices are awesome, and people come from as far away as Monterrey with their stuff and far down in the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM

172 posts, read 537,111 times
Things that are more expensive:

1.)Gas - 25 cent per gallon gas tax PLUS state law requires all stations to be full serve to employ people so it drives gas costs up even more.

2.)Income tax - 9%!! At least a sales tax usually isn't on essentials and so people can minimize the tax burden if they reduce spending but there is no way to avoid the income tax.

3.)High minimum wage - drives up the costs of all goods and services, particularly in the restaurant business. Many states actually have a lower minimum wage for restaurant workers because they get tips. Not Oregon.

4.)Housing costs are so variable, I think Portland is middle of the road on housing costs when compared with other areas outside the midwest. The problem is that in addition to average to high property taxes they also nail you with the income tax. The combination of the two is tough to stomach but someone has to pay for the 11% to 12% unemployment rate.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan653 View Post
Things that are more expensive:

1.)Gas - 25 cent per gallon gas tax PLUS state law requires all stations to be full serve to employ people so it drives gas costs up even more.
I'm curious about this...what about biodiesel? I've read that there are some pumps around town that employ "cardlock" systems? Can you fuel up your own diesel vehicles in Oregon? I'd be sad if I couldn't, not just because tipping full serve seems silly when you have full use of your own limbs, but because I like to top off my tank (it has a vapor valve release) in a specific way. Anyone know?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 AM

118 posts, read 419,030 times
I will admit, I sometimes want to leave for greener pastures. Somewhere where I can keep at least 90% of my wages. It seems the people moving to Portland these days don't care about how much things cost and those leaving do care. Interesting to see how things will be here in 25-30 years.

I'm looking for a job transfer up to the Puget Sound region.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
I will admit, I sometimes want to leave for greener pastures. Somewhere where I can keep at least 90% of my wages. It seems the people moving to Portland these days don't care about how much things cost and those leaving do care. Interesting to see how things will be here in 25-30 years.

I think you're going to have to leave the country if you want to keep at least 90% of your wages. Either that or you are the king (or queen) of tax loopholes!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 PM

147 posts, read 578,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post

easy, make less money.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Since the state income tax is at a whopping 9%... does anyone know specifically what that money is used for here in Oregon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland