Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM

32 posts, read 72,710 times

Advertisements

Thanks, YankInEurope.
YankeeMomma - I don't know what OHSU is. We have a very good burn center here and today my son found out it may be another year that we are here as the Dr who has been taking care of him since day 1, (an awesome man) said he would like him to stay and get the surgeries he needs before he goes anywhere. We'll see what happens with that. The Dr will be retiring next year so would be pointless to stay because of him at that point, but he did bring my son back from the brink when everyone else said there was no way he was going to make it, so we do tend to listen to him.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,159,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momn View Post
Thanks, YankInEurope.
YankeeMomma - I don't know what OHSU is. We have a very good burn center here and today my son found out it may be another year that we are here as the Dr who has been taking care of him since day 1, (an awesome man) said he would like him to stay and get the surgeries he needs before he goes anywhere. We'll see what happens with that. The Dr will be retiring next year so would be pointless to stay because of him at that point, but he did bring my son back from the brink when everyone else said there was no way he was going to make it, so we do tend to listen to him.
OHSU = Oregon Health Sciences University

Old 11-24-2011, 04:31 PM

56 posts, read 117,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
... My mom always said, "like it or lump it!" (I still don't know what the heck "lump it" is supposed to mean, but you get the idea.)
Like it or lump it -- Meaning and origin

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 30,847 times
Default the truth

Here goes and folks I'd like some honest feedback. I'm considering relocating to the Portland area. I currently live in Phoenix where I relocated from the east coast four years ago. After spending the time here I can honestly say the only thing I like about Arizona is the weather outside of that I can take or leave it. The attraction for me to Portland is the diversity, the food scene, scenary and liberal attitude. (The conservatism here is killing me) So I ask, having lived in NYC and Washington, DC would Portland be a place that would fit. I understand the weather is not what it is in Phoenix( I will admit I do love it) but, I need more than the sunshine and close mindedness.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 PM

343 posts, read 693,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradical32 View Post
Here goes and folks I'd like some honest feedback. I'm considering relocating to the Portland area. I currently live in Phoenix where I relocated from the east coast four years ago. After spending the time here I can honestly say the only thing I like about Arizona is the weather outside of that I can take or leave it. The attraction for me to Portland is the diversity, the food scene, scenary and liberal attitude. (The conservatism here is killing me) So I ask, having lived in NYC and Washington, DC would Portland be a place that would fit. I understand the weather is not what it is in Phoenix( I will admit I do love it) but, I need more than the sunshine and close mindedness.
The short answer is yes. If you don't mind a bit of colder weather (like me) then you'll probably like it. The best thing to do is come and visit.

What I love about Portland: a lot of things, but most of all the people. They are some of the nicest people I've ever met in my life.

What I dislike about Portland: the job and living situation, but other than that nothing to ruffle my feathers over. I think people who complain about the rain seriously need to get over it, because that's exactly what makes Portland green and beautiful year round. I can't imagine living in any other part of the country.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-26-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 11:15 PM

28 posts, read 52,165 times
Question the question

Ok so does ti really honestly rain all the time there, besides the summer? Like you can't plan a bbq lets say I want to have a bbq tomorrow, will it be ruined by rain? Like hard core rain or is it drizzle .. how long does the rain stay, like and hour all day half the day .... it sounds like ppl are being dramatic about the whole rain thing.. My family and I are planning on moving to Portland in a few months and I am honestly freaking out because of this rain over cast comments I keep hearing.
I am from Bakersfield Ca. Its always sunny here it doesnt rain much, when it drizzles we still bbq we just eat indoors. I dont do much outdoorsy but I love to bbq and I love the rain but not all the time. ... UGH.. I am like seriously like torn about this whole SAD rain thing...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 AM

99 posts, read 277,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questions11 View Post
Ok so does ti really honestly rain all the time there, besides the summer? Like you can't plan a bbq lets say I want to have a bbq tomorrow, will it be ruined by rain? Like hard core rain or is it drizzle .. how long does the rain stay, like and hour all day half the day .... it sounds like ppl are being dramatic about the whole rain thing.. My family and I are planning on moving to Portland in a few months and I am honestly freaking out because of this rain over cast comments I keep hearing. I am from Bakersfield Ca. Its always sunny here it doesnt rain much, when it drizzles we still bbq we just eat indoors. I dont do much outdoorsy but I love to bbq and I love the rain but not all the time. ... UGH.. I am like seriously like torn about this whole SAD rain thing...
Check out this weather thread: Portland Weather Facts

I believe it will answer most of your questions.

Scroll down the thread to see links to a ton of weather videos.

The Steel Bridge links show a video for each day of the year (over 365 time-lapse videos).

If you don't mind barbecuing in the drizzle in Bakersfield, then you won't mind barbecuing in the drizzle in Portland. The same goes for heavy rain. Yes we get both. But not every hour of every day. See the Portland Weather Facts thread for more detail on that.

I hope it helps!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 AM

343 posts, read 693,467 times
It's probably too cold to plan a bbq in Portland during this time of year. I haven't been there in the winter yet, but from what I understand there's mostly a drizzle. People who've lived there and don't like that kind of weather tend to overdramatize it and claim "It always rains in Portland! Wah!" That's where you're hearing the exaggeration.

It's definitely not Bakersfield weather, that's for sure. The only way to find out if it's for you is to give it a try.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,565,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
I haven't been there in the winter yet, but from what I understand there's mostly a drizzle. People who've lived there and don't like that kind of weather tend to overdramatize it and claim "It always rains in Portland! Wah!" That's where you're hearing the exaggeration.
Wait, you've never lived through a winter here, yet you are saying other people who ACTUALLY are here year round, don't know the weather as well as you?

I'm curious if this statement will still ring true after being here a winter or two:
"I think people who complain about the rain seriously need to get over it, because that's exactly what makes Portland green and beautiful year round. I can't imagine living in any other part of the country."

But you do live in another part of the country!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM

908 posts, read 1,664,037 times
Default Utter neglect

Something i so hate about portland.
There are a few key reasons why there are more homeless in Portland than a lot of other places.
1) ONE reason is that the cops and mental health crisis team just leave the obviously impaired citizens lying on the sidewalk at night when they are called. I don't mean inebriated, but just disoriented people who are mentally incapacitated and not taking care of their needs because they can't.THIS is why there are at a minimum an average of about one homeless person dying per week in portland. Or actually probably several times that, just that the statistics only include those NOT under the care of a physician. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE SCOOPED UP AND BROUGHT INTO APPROPRIATE HOUSING WITH SOME SUPPORT STAFF. This is available at some level, and family usually will also get involved but don't even know where to find their loved ones on the street. They may wander aimlessly until they collapse from hunger or whatever. They need to be brought into an appropriate facility and assessed and housed. Also contained so they don't wander mindlessly til they drop, or get picked up byt he evil element on the street etc. Usually they have already been assaulted, raped, etc several times before anyone at all rescues them. The police have the ability to take people in when citizens can't, the authorities do it in other states (Baker Act, Florida). But the stupid cops and others who respond to a call about such a person lying on the sidewalk, or wandering, merely use this phoney and reprehensible excuse that "it isn't illegal to sleep on the street". Right, and it isn't illegal to die on the street of utter neglect by those that have the power to save them and SHOULD. if there is a way for families to take over their loved ones lives, it should be a streamlined process and made completely affordable for EVERYONE so the people can just be made safe. BUT the caseworkers of the city are apparently not at all trained or assigned to any sort of this type of essential activity. That seems criminal and maybe it is.

2) Another reason for so much homelessness is the horrific and inappropirate draconian housing policy of the Housing Authority's local Section 8 program rules. A section 8 voucher holder who has an apartment, let's say a disabled older woman, is NOT allowed to bring their homeless disabled adult kid into their home to sleep on the couch or the extra bedroom. No, according to Home Forward (aka housing authority of portland), their kid or parent can just die in the streets. And so they do. This type of exclusion policy is complete negligence and callous disregard for life, imo. It is also without any rhyme or reason, simply a nasty malicious provision that some dracul made up a long time ago. MOST OTHER HOUSING AUTHORITIES DO NOT HAVE THIS UNFORGIVABLE EXCLUSION PROVISION IN THEIR POLICIES. only the ROTTEN ROSE known as portland oregon. Both the original drafters of this harmful policy and those currently in charge, are guilty of this senseless mistreatment of needy citizens. Because they refuse to change it, for no defensible reason whatsoever, just some lame and unconscionable excuses.

that's my opinion and that's TWO things i so hate about portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland