Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 32,103 times

Advertisements

I don't find that people are racist in Portland, but maybe in the rural areas surrounding the city. It is a very white city. I attend two PCC campuses, one in SW, where there are very few minorities, and one in NW, where there is a very diverse student body. I do see a lot of African-Americans in that neighborhood, too. Some people here might be a little ignorant simply due to lack of exposure, but not as much as I saw when I was living in California. I've lived in Chicago, New Orleans, and the SF Bay area, and Portland seems very integrated in comparison. People seem to me to be very tolerant and friendly here.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 25,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
I'm an african american male!!! I am nearing graduation and my career path could wind me up in new jersey, or portland, oregon!! I'm planning on becoming an urban planner & portland being such a fast growing city could land me a very nice salary!! But i am concerned, on many forms iv'e seen a lot of postings about racism in portland!! I'm from baltimore, md a city 67% african-american, i have no problem living in a predominantly white area but i don't want to deal with racism. I dealt with it in my undergrad college town, and refuse to deal with it in grad school!! I'm not ghetto and i don't speak like an idiot, and i am very capable of holding an intellectual conversation, and usually don't have a problem blending with people regardless of their race!! But this worries me because i'm not the type to get called an n word and walk home upset!! I'm more of the call me an n word and you'll get hurt type!!! I know how life is in new jersey, but i think its more of a demand for my field in portland. It would put me in a position to work in great surrounding cities like seattle and so forth!! Please let me know, black, white, whatever...what do you think??
Honestly...what kind of question is this? I have never seen or heard the "n" word spoken out loud in my 16 years here. You brag about being an intelectual and then threaten violence to anyone who would dare to insult you. If you are looking for a community that will bow with respect to your very presence...than move to the middleast and get some wives to beat. IF you want a nice job with friends and a loving community...by all means come to Portland. But not if you are going to beat up anyone who "disrespects" you. Get over yourself and grow up. Let racism die. With your attitude we will never get rid of racism! You will get the same respect you give to others. You reap what you sew! Show a kindly face to the world and it will shine back at you. Look for things to **** you off and you will always be pissed off. Your question is loaded with racial overtones and make you sound like the racist.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post

People all over (not just Oregon) should make an effort to become more knowledgeable of other cultures and ethnicities so that their feet are less likely to become lodge in their mouths.
)

Wow...are you saying if I don't study black culture, I am a racist? If I fail to study islam am I also a racist? IF I fail to study homosexuality am I a "homophobe"? If I am ignorant of some obsucure racial taboo...I am a racist? That statement shows a level of intolerance that perpetuates racism! Why do you not study white culture? You have never studied the habits of the Irish...does that make you a racist? Have you ever studied the courting rituals of the Canadians...if not you are a racist. Have you ever studied the Slavic peoples? IF not you are a racist. Lighten up folks...we are all just people!!! Ignorance of a culture does not make someone a racist. Now if you are suggesting that whites should be required to study blacks...that is just facist...and racist. Whites do not REQUIRE blacks do anything. It is unfair to expect one race to study another just so one race doesn't get insulted or offended by accident. That is ridiculous and racist.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
flamer....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM

racist.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
phbbbbt!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM

286 posts, read 521,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
phbbbbt!
Well said!!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Hey mintavia,

aroseinrain was only trying to point out, that learning about other cultures, can create more understanding between those of different cultures. And that makes sense, because discrimination of any kind, is based on ignorance of the group, that is being discriminated against. You blew aroseinrain's statement WAY out of proportion, by implying that if someone doesn't want to learn about other cultures, then they're racist. That's YOUR own negative assumption, and has nothing to do with the point of aroseinrain's statement.

And how dare you accuse
bmorefella of racism, just because he wanted to know if Portland is hospitable, towards blacks. That's just you're slimy weasel strategy, to accuse any blacks who discussing racism, as being racisit themselves. WHAT A CROCK!! Well guess what, your verbal sleight-of hand, isn't fooling anybody. You mention that he should just 'be friendly', then he'll never experience racism. I'VE NEVER HEARD SUCH A NAIVE STATEMENT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!

I'm an African American, and a former Portland resident. I was treated well by many whites there, and we became good friends. HOWEVER, I also experienced plenty of racism, by whites in Portland. In case you don't know (or won't acknowledge), Portland has had many problems with policy brutality, perpetuated against minorities by white cops. Also, Portland is a stronghold for racist groups, such as the Neo Nazis, and the Skinheads.

YOU'RE the one who needs to 'grow-up', and realize that Portland is not a community of saints. Racism is very real, and widespread there, no matter how much you try and deny it!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM

The point I was making to the young man was this. Don't expect people to respect you because you are of a certain race. The police here in portland also make many skrew ups with white people. Several years ago there was a white man shot and killed because he called the police to report a prowler outside his 91 year old mothers house...he was killed because the cops thought he had a gun...he was crippled and carrying a cane! It never made the local news...but a similar incident with a black man was reported with great relish several weeks later. I do not deny that the cops up here seem to be a little trigger happy...My father was a police officer and even I have heard of the skrew ups that the PPD has made...but the skrew ups are not because of race! It's because..IMHO because the meth problem up here is still out of control and cops of every color are nervous of methheads of every color. This town is so politically correct a racist would have to be very lucky to make it on the force. And would not stay very long if he were caught. This attitude that being arrested is because one is black is outdated and frankly is getting old. The whole race card thing is getting old and we just arnt buying it anymore. No one in Portland...or anywhere else in America for that matter, walks up to perfect strangers and starts calling them racial names....unless they have a mental disease. This man says he is concerned about that...why? where does that happen? That sort of thing happened years ago....many years ago and it is not applicable to todays modern times. I have never seen any signs of racism in Portland. I can't stand Portland so don't worry about me defending it. I am impartial about Portlands racial relations. I have never had any reason to feel threatened by black people and I hope black people do not feel threatened by me. No one...and I mean normal people...not neonazi wierdos....is out to insult black people. Portland did NOT make me "feel" welcome when I arrived...so what? Why should any community make you "feel" welcome. I never recieved a welcome basket or a welcoming grin...just a horrid amount of rain! I see this question now two times on forum by black poster wanting to know how welcoming a city is. What does that even mean???? Maybe I am naive. When is the last time you experianced racism? Was it real or imagined? What do you consider racist? Is it equel treatment you seek...or superior? Are white people supposed to treat you differently....? What do you mean by "welcoming to blacks?" I honestly don't get it. It just seems to me that the attitude the young man was exibiting...especially about becoming violent...was simply another pick at the ugly scab of real racism. All I am saying is let the wound heal and lets all move on with our lives! Life is to short to worry constantly about how other people "feel" about you. Pride is a sin. Crush it no matter where it raises its ugly head no matter what race you are. The content of your character is precious! Don't let it be squashed by something as petty as vanity. The guy says he is young and educated. He has the world at his feet! Why should he waste his life worrying about how welcome he will be. Just go where you want and make the folks around you see what a gem you are! Who cares if there are a few wierdos. Laugh at them. They are a dying breed and it makes them more hateful...but just let them die! Quit giving those idiots fuel. I don't see racism here. The last time I saw racism on tv was when black panthers were intimidating voters outside a voting place. You say it is widespread? Where? I do not see it here. The black people living here in our neigborhood do not seem oppressed in any manner. I do not see anyone being cruel to thier kids, or excluding them from play. I don't think they pay more for rent. They all seem to have jobs and go to work in the mornings. I see them smiling and enjoying life just like me, they do not seem sad or oppressed. We wave at each other...espcially since I have to cross their yard to get to the park. Everything seems perfectly cordial to me. What am I missing?
aroseinrain suggested that we need to study other cultures so we don't stick our foot in our mouth...that is a crock! Who has time for that? Why? We are all Americans here. If you are coming in from another country that might be different...but if you are an american you should not have to study another races history. That is totally unreasonable!

If I am naive...then I am naive. I do not know everything. Only what I see and hear. Feel free to educate me to what racism you have experienced. Tell what offends you. You say you have had first hand experiance...tell me about it. I honestly want to know. Let me know what it is I am missing. I have seen racism on tv shows and even in some news clips that air the kkk and their stupid sheets...I know it is still out there. But in the wider world the racism you see in the movies and tv shows is just not around anymore....at least that I have seen. It seems a self defeating to go looking for it. The young man was obviously looking for someone to either defend or accuse Portland white people of racism. It was a loaded question. He has his whole life ahead of him with limitless possibilities and tons of talent...why should this even be an issue to him. He should be above it...as all men should. Peace.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Everybody says I sound like a white guy from Indiana!!
Indiana...!!! Now that is insulting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland