Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 36,144 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I live with our 2 daughters (ages 6 & 7) currently in CA. We are looking to relocate out of CA within 6 months. Some people love the weather here but unless you can afford to live near a beach its just too hot. Summers can be 90-107 daily and we hate it. We could stand for some more rain and a little bit of snow. Also homes here cost $600,000 to 1.5 million. Homes in the beach areas (with the cooler weather) are about $800,000 on the low end. Also our unemployment here is out of control, with decent jobs being scarce.

My husband and I are trying to decide between our top three picks.
#1 Fort Collins, CO
#2 Beaverton/Portland area, OR
#3 Lynnwood/Seattle area, WA

We would love to travel and visit all these places before making our choice but with the high rent and low income where we currently live its just not possible. We can really only afford 1 trip and we want to move when our lease is up in Dec if possible. We love nature and amimals and dont eat meat. We adore outdoor beauty like lush green areas, lake and trees, and sunshine when its not included with high heat 90+ or high humidity. We are republicans in our conservative views (for the most part) but dont really mind living around people who have different views.

I love that CO has a good amount of sunshine but I would think that with the snow it wouldnt get too hot there. But when we get older I worry about the snow being a problem as far as falling and getting hurt or driving in it safely. Fort Collins has just about everything we need and love and it has won many awards as being a great place to live. I do worry about the low minimum wage and the percentage of the population living in poverty being a bit high. I have also been told its hard to find work because jobs are mostly in Denver (and we much prefer Fort Collins to Denver.)

I really liked what I read about the weather in OR. From what I read when researching is that it is mostly cool weather, a little below average sunshine with overcast days, above average rain, a little snow, mild summers. That weather sounds great too us. Not too much snow and not too much heat. Rain doesnt really bother us unless its so heavy you cant see how to drive in it. The Beaverton/Portland area has almost everything we would want. The minimum wage is higher than CO (and CA where we live now). However I heard traffic is a nightmare and that there is a big meth problem there. Also I read its very pro gay (and I dont hate gay people) but thats not something I really want my children thrown into. Gay people dont bother me (each to their own) but I also dont want my kids seeing naked gay parades either. I dont know how true the things I read are so if Im wrong please correct me.

Lastly I hear WA is beautiful with decent weather. The minimum wage is the highest there out of all the places we are considering which we like. We would be considering the Lynnwood/Seattle area. It also has most things we want in a place to live. I read there is more jobs then people there and I believe this made the best places to live list. This a big plus for us since my husband and I both will be working. However I read from my research that the humidity is high (about 90%) in the mornings. We prefer cool (not humid weather). We also read there is only about 30% sunshine, which is much lower than both CO and OR. We still would like sunshine, just not high heat.

If any of you live in any of the above mentioned places could you please help us in making our choice. We are having a hard time picking the best area. Once we narrow it down we will go visit and get a hotel and check it out and explore more. If you would please just share your experience with the areas and what you like or didnt like. Thanks!!!Hello everyone,

My husband and I live with our 2 daughters (ages 6 & 7) currently in CA. We are looking to relocate out of CA within 6 months. Some people love the weather here but unless you can afford to live near a beach its just too hot. Summers can be 90-107 daily and we hate it. We could stand for some more rain and a little bit of snow. Also homes here cost $600,000 to 1.5 million. Homes in the beach areas (with the cooler weather) are about $800,000 on the low end. Also our unemployment here is out of control, with decent jobs being scarce.

#1 Fort Collins, CO

We would love to travel and visit all these places before making our choice but with the high rent and low income where we currently live its just not possible. We can really only afford 1 trip and we want to move when our lease is up in Dec if possible. We love nature and amimals and dont eat meat. We adore outdoor beauty like lush green areas, lake and trees, and sunshine when its not included with high heat 90+ or high humidity. We are republicans in our conservative views (for the most part) but dont really mind living around people who have different views.

I love that CO has a good amount of sunshine but I would think that with the snow it wouldnt get too hot there. But when we get older I worry about the snow being a problem as far as falling and getting hurt or driving in it safely. Fort Collins has just about everything we need and love and it has won many awards as being a great place to live. I do worry about the low minimum wage and the percentage of the population living in poverty being a bit high. I have also been told its hard to find work because jobs are mostly in Denver (and we much prefer Fort Collins to Denver.)

I really liked what I read about the weather in OR. From what I read when researching is that it is mostly cool weather, a little below average sunshine with overcast days, above average rain, a little snow, mild summers. That weather sounds great too us. Not too much snow and not too much heat. Rain doesnt really bother us unless its so heavy you cant see how to drive in it. The Beaverton/Portland area has almost everything we would want. The minimum wage is higher than CO (and CA where we live now). However I heard traffic is a nightmare and that there is a big meth problem there. Also I read its very pro gay (and I dont hate gay people) but thats not something I really want my children thrown into. Gay people dont bother me (each to their own) but I also dont want my kids seeing naked gay parades either. I dont know how true the things I read are so if Im wrong please correct me.

Lastly I hear WA is beautiful with decent weather. The minimum wage is the highest there out of all the places we are considering which we like. We would be considering the Lynnwood/Seattle area. It also has most things we want in a place to live. I read there is more jobs then people there and I believe this made the best places to live list. This a big plus for us since my husband and I both will be working. However I read from my research that the humidity is high (about 90%) in the mornings. We prefer cool (not humid weather). We also read there is only about 30% sunshine, which is much lower than both CO and OR. We still would like sunshine, just not high heat.

If any of you live in any of the above mentioned places could you please help us in making our choice. We are having a hard time picking the best area. Once we narrow it down we will go visit and get a hotel and check it out and explore more. If you would please just share your experience with the areas and what you like or didnt like. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,643 times
I guess I'll bite, as I've lived in all three locations.

First off. Why do people just seem to randomly pick places to live? Especially places that you have never been to? That just seems really odd to me. It sounds like you don't have jobs lined up in any of the locales, which should probably be your first priority for making your decision (esp. when dealing with a family).

You seem to mention minimum wage a lot. Is this the type of job you're going for? If it is, I really don't think the weather is enough reason to necessitate a change in location. Especially considering the job market in Portland, Seattle, and to a slightly lesser degree Fort Collins. If you are looking for lower-level entry jobs, you will have trouble finding them in the three locations you have mentioned.

The snow in Fort Collins is not too bad. There will only be a couple of days a winter where it will be a problem driving. But you will need to learn to drive in it, especially if you want to go into the mountains at all.

I don't usually see any raging Gay-parades (as un PC as that is), esp. in the Beaverton area (which is a bit more convervative). As much as I disagree with your opinions on this topic, I really don't think you should worry about it.

Traffic does suck in Portland (but biking and public transit are pretty good), and I would say there are meth problems almost everywhere in the US these days.

The sunshine in Portland and Seattle will be almost the same, and both pale in comparison to Colorado.

I have loved all three locations, I really don't think you will go wrong with any of them. But I would highly suggest seeing them before making this decision. And also highly suggest figuring out your employment.

Hope that helped a little bit.

One more thing, if you have family in CA, a bit easier to get there from OR or even WA than CO.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
Seattle has more Type-A business savvy type people....
Portland is way more laid-back, and a very, very tight employment market at the low end of the pay scale (as in lots of resumes for each and every min wage job.)

Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Colorado sounds like a good place for you esp. the Denver area.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Nature View Post

Quote:
A very high percentage of people in Oregon (including the Portland area) are living in poverty. Unemployment here (and in Washington) is out of control and decent jobs are scarce. I don't know where you heard that there were more jobs than people in Washington, but I SEVERELY doubt the factuality of that statement.

Quote:
It is humid in the mornings throughout the Northwest (not just WA)--in the winter. It is not hot when it's humid here. It's either warm and dry or cold and humid. If you want sunshine, don't come to Oregon or Washington.

Quote:
The Beaverton/Portland area has almost everything we would want. The minimum wage is higher than CO (and CA where we live now). However I heard traffic is a nightmare and that there is a big meth problem there. Also I read its very pro gay (and I dont hate gay people) but thats not something I really want my children thrown into. Gay people dont bother me (each to their own) but I also dont want my kids seeing naked gay parades either. I dont know how true the things I read are so if Im wrong please correct me.
Traffic is worse in Seattle than in Portland--far worse. Meth is a problem everywhere in the Western or Southern U.S.

But naked gay parades?? LOL!!! That's hilarious. Where in the entire world do they just have naked gay parades randomly happening?? Let alone ones where they take your children and throw them in the parade? Right... Nowhere. That's what I thought.

It's the cyclists that get naked every year--not the gays. (Google search for World Naked Bike Ride.)

Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Quote:
We would love to travel and visit all these places before making our choice but with the high rent and low income where we currently live its just not possible. We can really only afford 1 trip and we want to move when our lease is up in Dec if possible.
How will you find a job with just one trip??

Your approach is insane. You'll need weeks, months and maybe years to find a job and you'd be absolutely foolish relocating without a job lined up in advance unless you have lots of savings to live on for what might be years.

You need to explore all three areas in person and perform local networking in order to line up work.

If you're employed stay put while you line up alternatives. If you're unemployed then cast a much wider net then just 3 areas.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
Well, I've lived 2 out of the three places, and actually living fairly close to the other one, so hopefully I can at least give you my perspective.

I grew up in the Denver area and went to college in Ft. Collins. It's a great place to live! However, you mentioned not liking the heat and it does get hot there in the summer. Even though it snows in Colorado, it's pretty much a desert climate, so summers can be pretty darn hot. It's not uncommon to have quite a few days above 100 in the summer and on average, you'll have a string of days above 90. Fort Collins does get monsoonal rains in the summer, which can cool it off in the afternoon, but then you will get a rise in humidity. It's truly not bad humidity, but some people do not like it. You will also have the problems with jobs. It's pretty hard to find a decent paying job in that town because of the college and its size.

My husband and I also lived in Everett, WA for just over 4 months while he was a travel nurse. His sister lived in Lynnwood for about 5 years too. The weather is absolutely gorgeous in the summer, but it arrives pretty late (after 4th of July) and doesn't last very long before the rain arrives again. It doesn't necessarily rain buckets like you get in S. California (we lived there for a short time as well), but the overall gray oppressive skies were too much for us. You really won't see much sun from about October through July. The humidity doesn't feel bad there because the temperatures in the winter are cool enough that it doesn't get sticky hot. In the summer it's the dry season, so there isn't any humidity. The job market is probably the best out of all the places your considering.

Currently I live about 3.5 hours from Portland, but I'm on the dry side of the Cascades. Portland weather is very similar to Seattle's. I'm not sure where your getting your information regarding "naked gay parades" in Portland, but this made me laugh. Portland is a very gay friendly city, yes, but I seriously doubt there are parades of naked people (gay or straight) that your children will be exposed to (and if there is, don't go). Seeing gay people isn't going to make your children gay either. Seattle is also a very gay friendly city, so if you are concerned about your children being "exposed" to gay people, you may need to take both of these cities off your list. If however, you realize teaching your children tolerance despite opposing views is important, I think Portland or Seattle would be good to keep. BTW, you will probably "expose" your kids to gay people at some point in their lives, where ever you decide to live.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,832 times
Just want to say that my wife and I recently relocated to Portland area from Southern Cali. Niether one of us are from Cali so we knew we didn't want to stay there and establish ourselves. Anyway, so far Portland is great as is Oregon in general. People seem to be a lot more friendly then in Calirfornia and not so stuck up. The weather is different but you have to keep an open mind and not let yourself get bent outta shape about the rain. And you can't beat how beautiful it is with so much green and rolling hills. The Portland area is great for adventure and outdoor stuff so take advantage. As far as finding a job, don't give up and do everything you possibly can to get one and make it work if you want to make the move.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 36,144 times
Thank you edub22. Obviously I would make sure at least my husband or I had a job lined up before making the move. And we would visit the place at least once to see it in person. However we would do our job searching via the internet since we live here in CA. I was really excited about Portland OR right off the bat. When I ordered a travel guide online I was asked if I also wanted a pro gay guide to OR. So I clicked the link just to see why the offer that to anyone interested in OR. The first thing that popped up was men riding naked down the street on bikes. Im more traditional and so that made me not like it as much as I had by my first impression. That's where I got that idea and I just had to ask to see if it was true. I believe on Relocate America is where I read that WA has more jobs then people. I know they have the highest minimum wage. Obviously no, I dont want a minimum wage job. Who does. But its smart to consider the fact that at some point we might lose a good high paying job and have to get by for a while on a minimum wage job. And if that does happen you want the minimum wage to be higher, not lower. Thats just good common sense. Fort Collins honestly has everything I want but my main concern is 15 degree winters. Also 100 degree summers? I would think CO is colder in the summer than CA? Maybe not? Also I would have to find a job first. I believe CO has a lower unemployment rate than CA by about 3%. Dont know if thats the up to date percentage (but it was last time I checked).

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

#1 Fort Collins, CO

If any of you live in any of the above mentioned places could you please help us in making our choice. We are having a hard time picking the best area. Once we narrow it down we will go visit and get a hotel and check it out and explore more. If you would please just share your experience with the areas and what you like or didnt like. Thanks!!!Hello everyone,

#1 Fort Collins, CO

If any of you live in any of the above mentioned places could you please help us in making our choice. We are having a hard time picking the best area. Once we narrow it down we will go visit and get a hotel and check it out and explore more. If you would please just share your experience with the areas and what you like or didnt like. Thanks!!!
I currently live in So Cal, and have also lived in No Cal.

Portland has really grown into a bit of a parody of itself-ie, if you do not conform to 'PC', then you don't fit in...I don't find it very live and let live anymore....but it does still run off it's reputation.

CO-I lived there for 3 yrs-has VERY hot summers, and the altitude makes the sun stronger-i believe the stat is 20% stronger-some will argue that it's not true...but if you live in it, it DOES feel hot, regardless of the fact that it's a 'dry heat'-lol. 100 is not uncommon, and at 5k feet, it's intense.
Winters are mild, when not in the mountains proper. It is common to have snow melt by afternoon, and see people in shorts. Retirement is a big industry/attraction for CO, so I don't think you have to worry there, at all. Plus, I think planning ahead is good,t o a point. But with your children so young, and things changing so quickly, I don't think you need to plan quite that far ahead. CO will probably continue to grow,a nd will change. And, what's right for you as a family now, will change when your children are grown. So, relax and enjoy the next decade plus with children, wherever you are. It WILL change, as areas are growing...(:

I cannot speak for WA.
Again, yes, to those who do not believe: CO (and MT for that m atter-I lived there 4 yrs as well) have HOT summers. Quick research will show you the stats. It's do-able, unless you have a record year as we did one summer...record number of over 100 days-starting in may lasting into october. uugh.

Good luck to you-and if I interpret your 'gay culture' comment correctly, I think you mean just that: not having gay culture thrown in your face. Yes, the 'hipster' mindset does get old,a nd when you have children, your needs are different. Children want to understand the world around them, and in-your-face politics are multi-layered and not usually cognitively understandable until after age 10. Yes, children do understand that people have different lifestyles and that is a choice that is their right, and love is a human right. This is very different than 'pride parades' with all variety of color.

Some people may think it's cool culture; I think it's a personal preference to participate in that aspect of cultural expression. Perhaps, as I live in so cal myself currently, with children, I can appreciate what the OP means. Others, likely who don't have children and cannot conceive [gasp] that not all venues are appropriate for ALL types of expression ALL the time, will be jarred by reading our posts.

Family friendly is a reality; it does not mean one is convservative or church going, either. Diversity is a slogan anymore, and children do not need banners; they need freedom to explore and play and be themselves. Ends rant.

Other suggestions:
The Ozarks [northwest Arkansas]
Idaho [many options, for milder summers, look north in the panhandle]
Corvallis, OR [smaller than pdx, college town with some industry, a bit more conservative in feel, pretty place-Hewlett Packard is there, I believe].

Last edited by lrmsd; 08-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland