Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times

Advertisements

I'm also petite with a short torso and I've experienced this symptom in both pregnancies. For me it's a 3rd trimester thing and it's not constant. It happens when I sit or lay down in certain positions or if I'm exercising. I find that just readjusting my posture, standing up or shifting positions makes it go away. It really is manageable and something that I feel that I have complete control over. Doing things like yoga may help as there are stretches that help open up the rib cage and you can do them if or when you feel out of breath. Oh and be sure to buy some good slip on shoes. It's pathetic how out of breath I get trying to put on a pair of boots.

Seriously, don't let something like this stop you from having a baby if you really want one. It really is not that bad and is something that you will have control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM

450 posts, read 5,026,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm also petite with a short torso and I've experienced this symptom in both pregnancies. For me it's a 3rd trimester thing and it's not constant. It happens when I sit or lay down in certain positions or if I'm exercising. I find that just readjusting my posture, standing up or shifting positions makes it go away. It really is manageable and something that I feel that I have complete control over. Doing things like yoga may help as there are stretches that help open up the rib cage and you can do them if or when you feel out of breath. Oh and be sure to buy some good slip on shoes. It's pathetic how out of breath I get trying to put on a pair of boots.

Seriously, don't let something like this stop you from having a baby if you really want one. It really is not that bad and is something that you will have control over.
Thanks for sharing this. Did you feel like you were suffocating with the baby pressing up on your lungs? When you say shortness of breath, how did that feel for you? Did you feel like you couldn't fill your lungs or did you just breathe hard and fast? This seems like such a terrifying symptom. Some friends I know have had it starting in the first trimester from progesterone.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,941,653 times
You don't seem to understand that your obsession with this is not helping. You are telling yourself "scary stories." You are scaring yourself. It is a kind of self-abuse. You have all of the info you need - it is not a big deal and doesn't even happen to most people, to those it does happen to, you just have to shift your body and move around. I have never heard of this being a major pregnancy risk that people should live in fear of.

Think about something else - think positive. You are ruminating.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
I have had this symptom - notably in the third tri, and during the second. It is one of a battery of discomforts that you may (or may not) experience during pregnancy. Unfortunately, that's just how it is. Not every pregnancy is a walk in the park, and even if some are, there will be discomforts and an assortment of physical symptoms. Pregnancy is a major life event for a woman -- a life is being formed and nurtured and that takes a lot! At the same time, that should not hold you back from starting a family if that is what you really want. The physical maladies are often temporary and go away once the baby is born.

Also each pregnancy is different. My first pregnancy was largely uncomplicated, but I did end up with gestational diabetes. That went away when the baby was born. My second (current) pregnancy, I've been dealing with fatigue, very sporatic vertigo (which made me feel like I was going to faint in the airport), shallow breathing, ligament pain...it sucks but I've been told that I am healthy.

If you would rather have a baby in your arms that would require less wear and tear on your body, then I would suggest a surrogate or adoption. Any pregnancy is going to have some sort of effect...but always keep in in mind that it is temporary, and the end result is worth it. I don't know of too many mothers dying due to pregnancy....the #s are far lower than they have ever been, besides women have been getting pregnant and birthing babies for eons.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You don't seem to understand that your obsession with this is not helping. You are telling yourself "scary stories." You are scaring yourself. It is a kind of self-abuse. You have all of the info you need - it is not a big deal and doesn't even happen to most people, to those it does happen to, you just have to shift your body and move around. I have never heard of this being a major pregnancy risk that people should live in fear of.

Think about something else - think positive. You are ruminating.
All right--when I was a teenager I developed a severe lung infection that had me hospitalized for weeks in the ICU and left me with some permanent lung damage that sometimes gives me the sensation of not being able to take a full, deep breath. While I was hospitalized and my lungs were filling up with fluid I constantly had the sensation of not being able to breathe--of suffocating. And now when I can't take a full, deep breath because of the permanent lung damage I get very anxious and start to panic.

I live in fear of re-experiencing these sensations during pregnancy, when I have a growing fetus pressing upward on my lungs. That is why this is such a big deal for me, and why I am "obsessing" about it. I have delayed getting pregnant because of this. But now I'm in my mid-30's and I feel that I am not ovulating regularly anymore so I feel like if I'm going to get pregnant, I better get started. However, this fear is holding me back.

The problem is that the lung infection I experienced as a teen is very rare--and very few primary care/OB-GYN doctors have experience with it so if I go talk to a doctor about my fears I doubt it will be very helpful.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM

And just to reiterate, some women have multiple pregnancies with no problems. And they actually ENJOY being pregnant.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
All right--when I was a teenager I developed a severe lung infection that had me hospitalized for weeks in the ICU and left me with some permanent lung damage that sometimes gives me the sensation of not being able to take a full, deep breath. While I was hospitalized and my lungs were filling up with fluid I constantly had the sensation of not being able to breathe--of suffocating. And now when I can't take a full, deep breath because of the permanent lung damage I get very anxious and start to panic.

I live in fear of re-experiencing these sensations during pregnancy, when I have a growing fetus pressing upward on my lungs. That is why this is such a big deal for me, and why I am "obsessing" about it.

The problem is that the lung infection I experienced as a teen is very rare--and very few primary care/OB-GYN doctors have experience with it so if I go talk to a doctor about my fears I doubt it will be very helpful.
Ok. Now I understand. I hope you will try this. Go to Youtube and put "EFT" in the search engine and then watch some videos. EFT (tapping) can help you let go of this fear. It really works and it won't take much of your time.

Good luck to you! I think this is the only way I can think of that you can EASILY release this fear. If you want to . . .

Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Ok. Now I understand. I hope you will try this. Go to Youtube and put "EFT" in the search engine and then watch some videos. EFT (tapping) can help you let go of this fear. It really works and it won't take much of your time.

Good luck to you! I think this is the only way I can think of that you can EASILY release this fear. If you want to . . .
Okay, I have never heard of this but will take a look.

I've been thinking about talking to a therapist about this--but not sure what type of therapist. I have spoken to a pulmonologist about my concerns but he wasn't very empathetic....maybe I should try another pulmonologist. I do want to have a child but the thought of my growing belly causing these symptoms really terrifies me.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Try the EFT. You can do it at your computer. You will notice a difference, immediately. Then look for a therapist or social worker you might talk to for a couple of sessions . . . good luck finding a good one.

Try to have the goal that you will do some stuff to reduce your fears and then move forward asap. Because if you want to have a baby, you are going to have to get pregnant! And try to entertain yourself with the thought that it will be wonderful (even if you don't believe it right now).

Another idea to help you along would be to make a collage of all of the wonderful images of pregnancy you can find. To do this, just go buy a couple of magazines that have pics of pregnancy and babies in them and any other magazines you might be interested in. Rip out the pictures that appeal to you, paste them on a poster board (found in any drugstore). Then look at this board daily. Make sure you rip out images of happy women, smiling and healthy so you will see that that is the norm.

If your pulmonoligist wasn't concerned, that probably means that there is no medical reason for concern. You are alive, so during whatever happened to you you were able to breathe. Remember that fact. I am sure it was frightening but the EFT will take the charge away so you can proceed forward.

I wish you the best and that you will be blessed with a wonderful little bundle of joy and that your pregnancy will be uneventful.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,395,964 times
I am 20 weeks pregnant and suffer mild shortness of breath only at nighttime or if I have been exerting myself. But...I am having twins! That means two little bodies are in there pressing up on my lungs. I do not find it annoying and half the time don't even notice it. It is usually my husband pointing out that I am "sighing" a lot. I talked to my perinatologist, and she assured me that it is normal #1 because I have double the hormones and #2, because I'm having twins.

I'm 36 and I can't stress enough the importance of not letting this fear delay your desire for a family any longer. I feel that I got twins because I'm "an older mom" and while I do see it as a blessing, it also takes it's toll on my body. I just feel more fatigued and achey than usual, but that is all normal. I've had zero morning sickness, just a few food aversions and no complications. Keep in mind that the older you are, the longer it can take to become pregnant and also the higher your chance of conceiving twins (multiples cause more shortness of breath usually).

I think it is normal to have fears about becoming pregnant, although most women fear nausea and the actual delivery. All I can say is that once you feel the baby (or babies) moving around in there, or see their faces on the ultrasound, it is all about love and the mild suffering that comes with it is so worth it. I can't wait to meet these little guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy