Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM

90 posts, read 104,703 times

Advertisements

So. Some tips. I go on a baby name forum very very often, called nameberry. Lots of awesome names and discussions, i suggest it. Also check out the social security list of names to see where your favorite name ranks. Some names you think are unusual are probably very common.

Unique names are cool. So are usual names. But there's a spectrum. Names can be unusual and different but have conventional spellings and pronunciation. For me personally, I would not name my future child any name in the top 50. But, I don't need a SUPER unusual name.

I prefer names with it's original spelling. Having a very weird name myself, Beryl, it's a pain. It really is. Always use the traditional spelling.

There's a handful of names I really really love that are a bit unusual, but not so over the top that people couldn't spell of pronounce it. My favorite girl name is Marina, followed by Lucia, Amara, Stella (popular, but my fav) Evanna, and some others I like are Juliette, Louise, Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia, and Elia, just to name a few. For guys, my current favorite is Leo. Not super unusual though. I also love Owen, Emmett, Felix, August, Phineas, Dashiell, Kai, Malachi, Everett, and Walter, even though there are plenty more I love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,718 times
If it is a girl, you can name her:
Amelia Carter
Stacey Heather
Nicole Haley

If boy:
Ethan Ryan
Travis Peyton
Blake Liam

Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
as someone who grew up with an unusual name..... one that people can generally pronounce OR spell, but rarely both unless close friends or family..... I say this:

For your child and future adult son and/or daughter's sake, do NOT give them a name they will have to educate people on for the rest of their lives.....

Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
I thought my baby naming days were long over, but nope. We have kids with names easy to recognize and spell and I wish for the boy I am having to have a name that goes along even though there will 17 1/2 years between this child and my youngest. There is a trend now to use very old fashioned names. I have several friends who are pregnant and 3 of them have announced names of James, Mary and Betsy. These types of names won't work unless there is a modern version of them. I love the name Walter, but it's too old and doesn't make sense with our other children's names.

I am thinking of:

Theodore, would call him Theo (old name in long form, but Theo doesn't sound old to me)
Leonidas (family name), would call him Leo
Logan

The middle name will be the very unusual name of his grandfather and it isn't negotiable, so I don't wish to stray too
far into unique territory. Any suggestions?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Well, there's the name Unique itself, which cracked the top 1000 for female baby names in the United States for the first time in 1995. By the next year it was at its height of popularity, when it was the 788th most popular name for girls. After 2002, it fell out of the top 1000, though it make single-year reappearances in 2005 and 2009 - in that year 290 baby girls were given the name Unique.

So while Unique is a name, it's not unique!

Popular Baby Names

Old 03-28-2022, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Default Unique baby girl names

Hello! Recommend you these names:

1. Henrietta, inspired by Queen Henrietta Maria. Name means hearth keeper.

2. Edana, inspired by Irish Saint. Name means fiery.

3. Aretha, inspired by Aretha Franklin, American singer. Name means goodness.

4. Synadene, inspired by Queen consort of Hungary. Name means lilly.

5. Caeria, inspired by Illyrian Queen. Name means falling.

Source - babynamesunusual.com

Old 12-21-2022, 12:03 PM

83 posts, read 67,994 times
not sure whether names are unique, but most popular (source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmI99kGLFWk/):

girls: Olivia, Emma, Charlotte, Amelia, Ava (I personally like shorter ones)

boys: Liam, Noah, Olivier, Elijah and James

Old 12-25-2022, 10:11 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelen View Post
not sure whether names are unique, but most popular (source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmI99kGLFWk/):

girls: Olivia, Emma, Charlotte, Amelia, Ava (I personally like shorter ones)

boys: Liam, Noah, Olivier, Elijah and James
Yeah, 'unique' negatively correlates with 'popular'.

Good luck to anyone finding a unique name ('unique' means there's only one such thing).

But for those wondering if names are less common, at least in the United States, you can search on names per registration with Social Security and see the top 1000 names issued every year, going back as far as 1879.

Right here:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

Old 12-28-2022, 07:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
No longer a joke and no longer unique are numbers as names. When Seinfeld presented this, most people thought it was a joke. Apparently not.

"In Season 7, Episode 13 of “Seinfeld,” George Costanza tells his fiancée Susan that he wants to name his firstborn child Seven.

“It’s Mickey Mantle’s number,” he says. “So not only is it an all-around beautiful name, it is also a living tribute.”

Now it seems George might’ve been onto something. Seven is one of the fastest-rising baby names for boys in the U.S. according to the Social Security Administration.

Between 2018 and 2019, the name rose 426 places from No. 1,424 to No. 998 ― its first time on the Top 1,000 list. Last year, 209 newborn boys were named Seven, up from 123 the prior year.

But parents aren’t just giving the name Seven to their sons. As George noted, “It’s a beautiful name for a boy or a girl ... especially a girl. Or a boy.”

In 2019, 59 baby girls were named Seven, compared to 56 in 2018. It’s hard to say if the 2019 bump can be attributed to “Seinfeld,” but the episode might’ve had a small effect on naming trends after it aired in February 1996.

While 10 baby boys were named Seven in 1996, that number more than doubled to 22 in 1997 and then rose to 40 in 1998 and 50 in 1999, before falling back to 43 in 2000 and 40 in 2001.

In both 1996 and 1997, seven baby girls were named Seven. In 1998, it was 14 girls, then 18 in 1999 and 24 in 2000.

In 2011, David and Victoria Beckham named their daughter Harper Seven, a nod to the soccer star’s jersey number when he played for Manchester United and the English national team.

Seven isn’t the only numerical baby name to appear in the SSA’s data. In 2019, nine boys and six girls were named Eleven.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/seinf...b67c3259aca99f

Old 12-28-2022, 09:18 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randenn18 View Post
Hello! Recommend you these names:

1. Henrietta, inspired by Queen Henrietta Maria. Name means hearth keeper.

2. Edana, inspired by Irish Saint. Name means fiery.

3. Aretha, inspired by Aretha Franklin, American singer. Name means goodness.

4. Synadene, inspired by Queen consort of Hungary. Name means lilly.

5. Caeria, inspired by Illyrian Queen. Name means falling.

Source - babynamesunusual.com
There's nothing remotely unique about Henrietta. It was my great-grandmother's name, a great-aunt's name, and eventually, the name of one of our pet hens when I was a kid.

Not sure about the others, but I doubt Aretha Franklin was the only Aretha ever.

I am starting to think that people do not understand the definition of "unique". As a matter of fact, given the number of people who say things like "Most Unique" , I know they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy