Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times

Advertisements

People that drink before they find out they're pregnant is not really an issue. At that time, there is no umbilical cord or placenta fully formed yet, so they're not getting your nutrients/alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
To be intoxicated - you must ingest a toxin- booze is toxic...it is a poison. When a child is early stages of development - and the cells are carefully arranging themselves- You don't want to confuse this process with anything. Never ingest any poison when you are pregnant. Why take the chance? Why have your child even have a slight defect. I know of one brilliant business lady..She is functional...except there is a jerkiness to her bodily movements- Her driving is the same - so is her piano playing- Her motor abilities are slightly off. This person is my sister.

There were four boys and one girl in my family- My parent were old school Russians who liked to have dinner parties with great food and lots of vodka. I suspect that my mother may have gotten drunk ONCE during my sisters gestation...and I suspect she damaged my sister... it is slight but the abnormality is there. Alcohol fetal syndrome can appear as super obvious AND I believe that it can be slight...and not noticeable. Why take a child and lessen their potential even by 1%?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
To be intoxicated - you must ingest a toxin- booze is toxic...it is a poison. When a child is early stages of development - and the cells are carefully arranging themselves- You don't want to confuse this process with anything. Never ingest any poison when you are pregnant. Why take the chance? Why have your child even have a slight defect. I know of one brilliant business lady..She is functional...except there is a jerkiness to her bodily movements- Her driving is the same - so is her piano playing- Her motor abilities are slightly off. This person is my sister.

There were four boys and one girl in my family- My parent were old school Russians who liked to have dinner parties with great food and lots of vodka. I suspect that my mother may have gotten drunk ONCE during my sisters gestation...and I suspect she damaged my sister... it is slight but the abnormality is there. Alcohol fetal syndrome can appear as super obvious AND I believe that it can be slight...and not noticeable. Why take a child and lessen their potential even by 1%?
Half the stuff on the shelves is toxic too, yet most people eat that crap with preservatives too.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
My sister told me to stay away from anything fake sugar like sweeteners while pregnant.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
No, no and no......if you must very little with meals and only occasionally.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I'm not gonna drink.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Nope, never. There is no "need" for alcohol (unless youre an alcoholic and require it to function) and certainly not while pregnant.
I have worked with kids who had FAE and FAS and it is heartbreaking to see these kids and the effects drinking had on them. My husband has a cousin who is also FAE (mom smoked and drank) and he exhibits all the symptoms as well.
No one can tell at what point during development or how much/how little alcohol is needed to have an effect. Seems silly to chance it

Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I went to weddings with both my pregnancies and had a glass of champagne. There was absolutely no reason not to and I'm sure my daily diet was less than ideal as well. I also may have had a cocktail or two in the early days of my first pregnancy, not knowing I was pregnant. I've never really been much of a drinker so it wasn't a worry for me, but with my second pregnancy I LOVED the smell of white wine

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I'm pregnant with #4. I didn't drink with my first 3 children and haven't had any alcohol during this pregnancy either. I do have friends who would have a glass of wine here or there with dinner (1-2 glasses a week) while pregnant and their children seem fine to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times
With my first, I had a glass of wine for my anniversary (doc said ok) when I was 8 months along. Never had any with the 2nd or 3rd. I had seen too many born with FAS, and I knew not to. I worked for an OB/GYN and we told the pregnant patients who were sick what was protocol....regular Tylenol, 1 tsp of Dimetapp, Sudafed liquid and that was it. If they needed a visit, then the doc said to bring them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy